Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

I wouldn't be too surprised. There were instances when someone stole a bunch of copper cables and whole neighbourhood didn't have phone or internet (ADSL) access for a week.

Last time our internet/phone went out for a week was because our neighbours cut the cable while trimming their hedge. There was a telegraph pole against the hedge so they caught it on the side, the really stupid part was they cut it TWICE, 1m apart.

When I lived in Birmingham a power station went on fire one evening cutting the power to a large part of the city (I was eating my dinner when it happened). There was a rumour that some copper cables may have been stolen from the power station. It was a fucking nuisance because the cable that fed the university was completely burnt through and the entire university had to run on generators for a fortnight while the cable was replaced.

Overground cables, lol.

It's the same BT landlines that have been there for the past god knows how many years, they run underground most the way, but when they come to a cluster of houses there is a telegraph pole, cable goes up the side and then links to the nearby houses from the top. I guess at the time the houses were built it was easier to do it that way, especially when they weren't built all at the same time.

The Virgin Media cables are all underground, they are (as far as I know) the only other ISP that has their own cables rather than using the BT ones, which also means you can't get it in a lot of places because the lines don't exist.

Distance from exchange is the main reason, but it wouldn't surprise me if the cable system was one of the factors in us not being capable of getting high-speed broadband in my area.

Last edited:
I bought a jawbone UP 24 .. (had an UP), stupid phone was not compatible with it .. so I spent a decent amount of time rooting it to Android 4.3.1 ... pretty happy with myself that I did not brick my phone :)

Good job! Occasionally I think about rooting my phone, then I remember it's a Google Nexus, and is already rooted :D

Like it was before :) We have a dry line going near Dallas and you can see about exactly where it is when you drive east. Just east of the city into Arkansas it is very lush, go a tad west of that line and scrub trees (except human planted trees)

I have lived here about 10 years and from what I have seen, and locals have said, it tends to be feast or famine. 6 years ago or so, it was constant flooding and they lakes were going to all spill over .. now it is drought and the lake are going to be empty. I am guessing in a few years, we'll be back to flooding.

Bjqy_sAIIAAOw7n.jpg:large

Back