Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

And what about my eek!, young Wizard?

Anyway, today I went on a wee day trip to Edinburgh Castle. It's been many years since I've been there; probably over 20. It was a trifle dull. And very expensive...
Your new avatar has already been commented on by others Cried.

I've been to Edinburgh Castle once when I was seven or eight and I can't remember much of it. I know it's mega expensive though so I can't be bothered with it. This year I have been to Edinburgh a few times and I realized how tacky the Royal Mile is. :down:

Okay, well that's just blown any illusions I had about Edinburgh. I've never been and I've been building up to a visit.

Okay, well that's just blown any illusions I had about Edinburgh. I've never been and I've been building up to a visit.
There's more to Edinburgh than just the castle and the Royal Mile. It's just that any tourist destination will have loads of really tacky shops that American and English visitors love. There's the National History Museum which is free and probably a bazillion other things but that particular part of the city is overrated.

Literally every single other castle I've ever been to (& I've been to plenty) has been more interesting than Edinburgh Castle. You get a good view from up there, but it genuinely not that interesting. The Royal Mile is something else to miss. Go to The Grassmarket instead, for food & booze & shops. It's also a titantic pain in the arse to drive in/through.

It's the historic area I'd like the visit, really. But then I'm impressed just by period buildings, I'd gloss over the tat shops.
Architecturally it's stunning, Brigs. The Old Town is really impressive. In fact, the castle is more interesting from the outside than inside. If you like wandering about looking at old buildings (which I really enjoy too, but just didn't have time today) Edinburgh is your kind of city.
I've no idea where/what the Grassmarket is.
It's just a street/area down from the castle/Royal Mile. Less tat, more pubs.

Back