Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Here, too. This morning I woke up at 8 because it was so much lighter than it has been for the last month or so. For the second time this year, the skies were clear at sunrise. In total, Oslo has had less than 24 hours of sunshine so far in 2014.

There's an area in the far north of mainland Scotland called Sutherland. To most people it's definitely not in the south but it got its name from the Norwegians who considered it to be pretty far south!

My accusations of north and south are fairly random.. for instance I would accuse Manchester folk of being southern because they are both south of Yorkshire and (more importantly) they're dirty lancashire folk... yet I still refer to Birmingham as the midlands despite it being further south.

In general, South of birmingham = darn sarf, south of london = the sea , south of england = tropical, north of birmingham (except manchester) = up narf, north of scotland = vikings.

My accusations of north and south are fairly random.. for instance I would accuse Manchester folk of being southern because they are both south of Yorkshire and (more importantly) they're dirty lancashire folk... yet I still refer to Birmingham as the midlands despite it being further south.

In general, South of birmingham = darn sarf, south of london = the sea , south of england = tropical, north of birmingham (except manchester) = up narf, north of scotland = vikings.
Having lived in England for a year I noticed some of the ridiculous views of where the north-south divide is in the country. Some people in the south think that anything north of Watford is the North or everything north of the M4. I even heard that as soon as you can't see the English channel anymore you're in the North. I heard stupid crap like Birmingham and Nottingham are in the North but they're not. They're in the Midlands. That's why the country has an area called the Midlands, to stop people suggesting stupid crap like that! I also know someone from Middlesbrough who said that Leeds and Manchester are not really in the North, not the "proper" North.

And the south of England is tropical Crimmers? Well I suppose there has been enough rainfall! :D

My neighbour has died...
Is this the guy who's flat was raided?

Is this the guy who's flat was raided?

No, that happened in the next house. This was my direct flat neighbour.

Not good ... was it out of the blue, or was it expected (old/sick)?

It wasn't out of the blue at all. She was quite old and she was mentally deteriorating. A few months ago I passed by her flat and heard a rattling from inside, and upon closer listening, I heard her whimpering for help. I eventually called the landlord and then emergency, and it turned out she had a stroke. Ever since, it was obvious to me that it's not going to be long anymore.

It wasn't out of the blue at all. She was quite old and she was mentally deteriorating. A few months ago I passed by her flat and heard a rattling from inside, and upon closer listening, I heard her whimpering for help. I eventually called the landlord and then emergency, and it turned out she had a stroke. Ever since, it was obvious to me that it's not going to be long anymore.

Death is not fun anyway, but it's easier to handle when one can see it coming ...

I wasn't really close with her, but she was very nice and we helped each other out occasionally. It's sad, no doubt.

Back