Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

The story did seem fishy...

%C3%B81.JPG

I mean, since we have started taking each other literally ...

Desktop decided today that it would be a good time for it to stop booting properly. Tried a few possible solutions and none of them worked so I am thinking it's windows based (based on the problems / outcomes). Thinking about re-installing Windows, the problem is that I can't find my boot discs / serial number. Oh the joys of computer problems.

Ew, that sucks. Ok, first thing, is your Windows OS OEM? Meaning, did it come installed from the factory? If so, its probably baked into the BIOS. Also, if it's Windows 8, it is definitely baked into the BIOS, they don't print those numbers on the machines anymore.

also, I'm assuming you've tried to boot into safe mode? If not, try that.... If you find any boot disk that is the same OS as yours, boot off that and run the repair option-- that will sometimes fix stuff...

Ew, that sucks. Ok, first thing, is your Windows OS OEM? Meaning, did it come installed from the factory? If so, its probably baked into the BIOS. Also, if it's Windows 8, it is definitely baked into the BIOS, they don't print those numbers on the machines anymore.

also, I'm assuming you've tried to boot into safe mode? If not, try that.... If you find any boot disk that is the same OS as yours, boot off that and run the repair option-- that will sometimes fix stuff...

Yeah safe mode was the first thing I tried and did nothing. It's also a Windows 7 OEM.

Gotcha. Fun stuff. Is it Win7 Home Premium? I'm guessing its that. You should be able to find a disk somewhere to run that. I'd try the repair feature first, before the 'Nuke and Repave' (Loosey's TM there).

Gotcha. Fun stuff. Is it Win7 Home Premium? I'm guessing its that. You should be able to find a disk somewhere to run that. I'd try the repair feature first, before the 'Nuke and Repave' (Loosey's TM there).

Yeah Windows 7 Home Premium. Guess I'll give a little more info though. Already tried system repair and restore to no avail, tested the RAM to see if it was now faulty but it was working fine and even chkdsk to see if the HDD failed but no errors came up either. Hence why I think a re-install is probably the way to fix it. :)

Have you tried turning it off and then on again?

I'm not THAT stupid when it comes to computers. :P Although sadly there are people that are.

Sadly there are people that are.
Tell me about it. There was a girl on my Masters course who had no idea how to do some very basic stuff and when she asked me for help I had no idea how to help her because she couldn't explain what she wanted to do. A career in IT is not for her.

Just let me put it this way. I know some people that don't even know what copy / paste are.

Although the funniest thing was someone I knew that split some coffee on their laptop a few years ago. Their "solution" to this problem was to get a hairdryer to dry the laptop off. Naturally all the keys warped and the laptop was deemed to be "not worth fixing". Not the best thing considering it was like $1500 or something when they bought it a few months earlier? :D

I had a Tamagotchi that I was twirling around from the keychain on my finger. It flew off and landed in my mum's coffee. My dad took it apart and left it to dry. It still worked perfectly after being put back together.:applause:

My mum is pretty dire with computers. When I was at home in April she asked me to buy some printer ink cartridges. I was back for a week at the start of June and she hadn't touched them. It turns out that she'd waited five weeks for me to come home and put them in. It was only a couple of years ago that I had to tell her she could type a website address into the address bar.:rolleyes:

Back