Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

LC, I understand the promoting. People do that with music as well. No problem. Wish I had more time, because I think I really would like it. I browsed through it and saw some nice descriptions of characters (e.g. Churchill).

My Grandmother is in the hospital, nothing serious .. she fell and hurt her leg .. she is recuperating until she can walk better.

I thought the woman was indestructible, she turns 95 in a little over a month ... up to age 94 she was out playing golf a few times a week and moving around pretty good ... but the last 8 months or so it has been one thing or another with her health.

I have plans to go visit (she is near Chicago) at the end of August and sometime in December ... I have the feeling one of these two visits will be the last. Hope I am wrong.

My Grandmother is in the hospital, nothing serious .. she fell and hurt her leg .. she is recuperating until she can walk better.

I thought the woman was indestructible, she turns 95 in a little over a month ... up to age 94 she was out playing golf a few times a week and moving around pretty good ... but the last 8 months or so it has been one thing or another with her health.

I have plans to go visit (she is near Chicago) at the end of August and sometime in December ... I have the feeling one of these two visits will be the last. Hope I am wrong.
Hope it will bearable for her bearfan. And who knows you can see her more often (after December).

I'm not sure I have one. I read little, if any, fiction. I used to read Steven King .. his earlier stuff. I guess I'll go with The Stand.

This is really sad

SACRAMENTO, Calif. — The heartbreaking death of a 13-year-old girl in California has many groups and parents re-examining their procedures about food allergies as the new school year approaches.

Natalie Giorgi was on an annual camping trip with her family when she bit into a rice-krispy dessert treat that was covered in frosting that contained peanut butter, according to KCRA-TV.

Natalie suffered from a peanut allergy, and even though she spit out the food, she began vomitting and fell into anaphylactic shock within 20 minutes.

KCRA reports that her father injected her with three EpiPens to counteract the allergic reaction, but she died in his arms.

The family released a statement, hoping others might avoid their heartbreak.

“As our hearts are breaking over this tragedy, we hope others can learn from this that food allergies are life-threatening,” the statement said.

Though I've read his book on writing, and seen many of the movies, I've never actually read a Stephen King novel. Is there anything you guys would recommend for a King newb?

LC, what is this tome? A novella? Actual history or historical fiction? And, did the allies really refer to Germans as "Adolf" in WWI, before Hitler became known? (That's about as far as I got.) Finally, do you have a professional editor, or are you relying on friends and relatives? Sorry for peppering you with questions, when I get time I might actually read this.

The hope is for it to reach 90,000-100,000 words - a novel. It is alternative history, a sub-genre of historical fiction. And no, the Allies didn't know about Hitler in WW1 - but the book is set in WW2 with the premise that the Red Baron lived through the first war, so I understand the confusion ;) This hasn't been edited yet, except by self-editing as I re-read, and then usually only to change mistakes in tense or word choice - what you're reading is the first, rough draft. When it comes to editing...I have no idea what I shall do.

LC, I understand the promoting. People do that with music as well. No problem. Wish I had more time, because I think I really would like it. I browsed through it and saw some nice descriptions of characters (e.g. Churchill).

Well, perhaps one day you shall get good time to sit down and take a skim.

Speaking of fiction, what is everybody's favourite novel?

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have no idea how the English translations compare to the original. That should actually be interesting to find out.

Reading some good things on the latest translation:
Der Schimmelreiter (1888), here translated as The Dykemaster, is one of the most celebrated works of classic German fiction. Denis Jackson's new translation, the first for many years, sets out to recreate the full impact of Theodor Storm's masterpiece - a task in which no previous English version has succeeded.
http://www.theodorstorm.co.uk/translations/dykemaster.htm

I can honestly say I really don't have a favorite book. Well, maybe I do. Just have to give it more thought I guess. It's too early to think.

Back