Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

There's really no need for my people to wear kilts at every possible opportunity. There's no need for Jonathan Davis from Korn to wear one either.

I'll just have to identify my people by their voices. Crimson Idol, at Download did I tell you about the girl I heard in the library at university a few months ago?

Well, if they are actually Scottish then fair enough...even if it is still lame... But I think there is a large quantity of non Scottish douchebag metalheads who run around in them too. You see them all the time :rolleyes:

There's really no need for my people to wear kilts at every possible opportunity. There's no need for Jonathan Davis from Korn to wear one either.

I'll just have to identify my people by their voices. Crimson Idol, at Download did I tell you about the girl I head in the library at university a few months ago?

You did not ^^

Well, if they are actually Scottish then fair enough...even if it is still lame... But I think there is a large quantity of non Scottish douchebag metalheads who run around in them too. You see them all the time :rolleyes:

Perhaps people just like them? 'Even if they're Scottish it's still lame' .. yeah, damn those people and wearing something which they might actually wear on a day to day basis!! Being proud of heritage or even liking something that's not "normal" is so rude!

I don't think there's any reason to wear a kilt to a gig, but then there's no reason not to either - although I'd take shorts instead myself. However, I'd rather have an entire crowd of people in kilts than any of those people who insist on diving about 'moshing' at every possible opportunity. Kilt's are hardly an annoyance or affect me in any way..

There's a joke my people have back home: What do you call a group of guys wearing kilts? English guys at a wedding!

I had to edit that last post because I missed out a letter so the post sort of suggested I was doing something very inappropriate in a library!

You did not ^^

Perhaps people just like them? 'Even if they're Scottish it's still lame' .. yeah, damn those people and wearing something which they might actually wear on a day to day basis!! Being proud of heritage or even liking something that's not "normal" is so rude!

I don't think there's any reason to wear a kilt to a gig, but then there's no reason not to either - although I'd take shorts instead myself. However, I'd rather have an entire crowd of people in kilts than any of those people who insist on diving about 'moshing' at every possible opportunity. Kilt's are hardly an annoyance or affect me in any way..

Well if they were actually Scottish I'd understand it more, that's what I said. And you pretty much said what I thought to begin with: I don't think there is any reason to wear a kilt to a gig. Kilts in themselves are not an annoyance no, but the people choosing to wear them at metal shows when there is absolutely no reason to, tends to be very annoying persons, just my personal experience though I guess :D And the most likely reason that they are wearing them is that some stupid metal band that they like wear kilts as part of their stage antic/show :p or they think they are William Wallace...

You did not ^^

Damn it when someone posts before me.

Anyway, I was sitting at a computer on a Sunday afternoon. In particular it was the Sunday in late February/early March when Dundee United beat Dundee in the Scottish Cup, Scotland fluked a win against Ireland in the Rugby and Swansea thrashed Bradford in the Carling Cup final. I think it may also have been the day after I went on a bar crawl with Metalsoc and Rocksoc plus the Rocksocs from the two other "universities" in Birmingham. In the afternoon I was sitting there without headphones in for a while and I heard a voice two computers to my left. There were a lot of other people in the room so it was difficult to head it clearly, but I was suspicious. One of my friends turned up and was sitting across from me, then when the person between me and the mysterious voice left my friend moved to beside me. At this point I wasn't getting much work done or listening to the football much because I was trying my hardest to listen to that voice without staring along the row at the owner of the voice. As afternoon turned into evening and people started to go home I could hear the voice clearer but I was confused. "Surely not here!", I thought. I wanted to say something, to ask where she's from, but how to do that without seeming like a creep? I didn't say anything and she left before I could summon the courage to do so.

The next day I asked my friend who'd been sitting beside me for a while about this. "Did you notice the girl sitting to your left yesterday? In the green top? Did you hear her talk? Where do you think she's from?" And yeah, it turns out that she's Scottish and that my ears weren't playing tricks on me. I was a little bit annoyed that my friend hadn't mentioned anything to me the day before though! I knew I had to talk to this girl, as she was the only one of my people around that's not a lecturer and to find out what she is doing down here!

I saw her once more a few weeks later but I didn't hear her talk so I couldn't be sure. However, during May when I was spending about twelve hours a day in the library from 7am everyday I kept on seeing her. (Now bear in mind that after not talking to her as I should have the first time I heard her, there was no way that any conversation that we eventually had wasn't going to be awkward.) I kept getting closer and closer to hearing her voice but it never quite happened. I was once walking up the stairs after getting a book when I glanced over my shoulder and saw her close behind me. "This is my chance!", I thought, because I expected to hear her say "Thank you" once I'd held the door open for her. Unfortunately she only did one of those annoying quiet "Thank you"s so I didn't hear her loud enough (and she was also pretty damn rude not saying it properly! :P ).

Eventually I saw her sitting in the cafe with friends and I got two of my friends to sit at a table nearby. They did work while I listened, although neither of my friends were sure that she was Scottish. One thought she might be Irish, but I know what my people sound like dammit! So I sat and listened, and also talked loudly and threw in a few odd words/phrases in the hope that she might hear me, although it didn't work. After a while she got up to leave with her friends and, instead of getting up and talking to her, I panicked and shouted "EXCUSE ME, GIRL IN THE PINK TOP! I HEARD YOU TALKING AND I WAS WONDERING IF I COULD ASK WHERE YOU'RE FROM....". She definitely noticed and seemed suitably creeped out and was walking away (my heart dropped like a stone) but actually turned round and came over to my table. I asked here where she's from and, sounding terrified, she said "I'm from Scotland, where are you from?" (during this my friends were sitting pretending to work, having nothing at all to do with this, but listening in all the time), about which one of them said "Why the hell was she asking where you're from? It was pretty bloody obvious!". My friends seem to think she relaxed a bit after I told her where I'm from and we had a little chat about English people asking stupid questions. So I finally managed to find out where she's from, what her name is and why she's here (the universities back home don't do her course), but it was incredibly awkward. I told someone else this story a couple of weeks later and she said "But Phil, did you get her number?" but it was far, far too awkward for that!

Anyway, so what have we learned from this story?

1. Just fucking talk to people.
2. Don't yell across the room at people you don't know!

The only thing that has a soul full of evil is a producer of kiddie rap.

Back