Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Ug, I hate that. My work pc has been glitchy for a month or more, but I hate tracking down all the admin tools and installing them again. However, i'm having to restart it 5-8 times a day, so I have a new one in the works. Meh.

I have to say the Windows backup/restore tool actually works out pretty well making a restore file for the new computer ... especially if you are like me and hae docs/pics/music files saved all over your PC. It takes a while to run, but you really do not have to do anything. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, it grabbed stuff I had no idea I still had.

Work just totally made my day! That hardly ever happens. We're having a baseball themed luncheon and one of the supervisors made up goodie bags for us giving us each baseball nicknames. Mine was 'Eddie Maiden'. :D We're friends on Facebook so she knows how much I love Maiden. It was perfect!

Cool!

I'm drawing pink and purple butterflies and I'm cutting them out and sticking then onto equally pink and purple cards, while listening to Iced Earth's Something Wicked... Could I be the only person in the world doing these things together?

I have to say the Windows backup/restore tool actually works out pretty well making a restore file for the new computer ... especially if you are like me and hae docs/pics/music files saved all over your PC. It takes a while to run, but you really do not have to do anything. I was pleasantly surprised with the results, it grabbed stuff I had no idea I still had.

I've thought of that but haven't used it. I wasn't sure how it'd work-- typically, my problems are due to all the experimenting I do on my pc, breaking Java or registry hacks to see what works and what doesn't. so, typically, I'll just build a new one from scratch, install the tools I need, then copy over my desktop and documents. I don't keep a ton on my personal pc, I usually stick it on a network drive-- most of what I have are random downloads.

I'm drawing pink and purple butterflies and I'm cutting them out and sticking then onto equally pink and purple cards, while listening to Iced Earth's Something Wicked... Could I be the only person in the world doing these things together?

You wouldn't be, if I would ever find myself in the situation to draw pink and purple butterflies, cut them out and stick them onto equally pink and purple cards.

My media player crashes about every 30 minutes. And iTunes will keep running, but you have to reboot the pc a couple times to get it to run.

IT guys are always the last to get their pc fixed :)

I've thought of that but haven't used it. I wasn't sure how it'd work-- typically, my problems are due to all the experimenting I do on my pc, breaking Java or registry hacks to see what works and what doesn't. so, typically, I'll just build a new one from scratch, install the tools I need, then copy over my desktop and documents. I don't keep a ton on my personal pc, I usually stick it on a network drive-- most of what I have are random downloads.

This will not help you with that .. essentially you tell it what types of files you want to save (for example "all images" or .jpg .gif) and what locations or all locations.

It will search and package up all those files into a single file ... you run the same tool to unpack it on the other end and it will put all that back in place.

It does not help (so far as I know with things like registry entries/hacks and installing apps

I do think it is a pretty easy and foolproof way to make sure you at least get all your docs over (for example, I do a lot of database work and I have tons of .sql and .dtsx files all over hell from various projects I want to make sure I keep) so you do not lose anything

Yeah, that makes sense. I may look more into that. What I really need to do is build myself a good copy, then clone it and make sure that all the stuff I do afterwards is saved to the network. then, when it breaks, re-clone and I'm good.

but that sounds like effort :)

I'm gutted. Since February I've been trying to repair a friendship with someone who I had a small awkward moment with in early December and neither of us kept in touch until I tried to starting building bridges in February. Unfortunately my efforts were not reciprocated and aside from an awkward, unsatisfactory 45 minute chat over coffee at the end of March we've only had chance meetings in the street. Two weeks ago in one of these chance meetings I almost managed to arrange a meeting where we could finally clear the air but after texting yesterday to see when was best I was told that it wouldn't happen because it was "too awkward". I refused to give up so I went round to this person's house this evening to try one last time but was told to go away. This is one of the most painful and hurtful things I've had to deal with and it's lasted six and a half months. I tried my hardest but apparently my friendship was worth fuck all.

Yeah, that stinks. Honestly, as painful as that is, that person doesn't appear to be worthy of your friendship.

I hope you start to feel better... sometimes its almost easier to have an 'end' than a 'limbo'.

I'm gutted. Since February I've been trying to repair a friendship with someone who I had a small awkward moment with in early December and neither of us kept in touch until I tried to starting building bridges in February. Unfortunately my efforts were not reciprocated and aside from an awkward, unsatisfactory 45 minute chat over coffee at the end of March we've only had chance meetings in the street. Two weeks ago in one of these chance meetings I almost managed to arrange a meeting where we could finally clear the air but after texting yesterday to see when was best I was told that it wouldn't happen because it was "too awkward". I refused to give up so I went round to this person's house this evening to try one last time but was told to go away. This is one of the most painful and hurtful things I've had to deal with and it's lasted six and a half months. I tried my hardest but apparently my friendship was worth fuck all.

I feel sorry, maybe you still shouldn't give up if it makes you feel this bad?

Yeah, that makes sense. I may look more into that. What I really need to do is build myself a good copy, then clone it and make sure that all the stuff I do afterwards is saved to the network. then, when it breaks, re-clone and I'm good.

but that sounds like effort :)

Yeah, I always have intentions of doing that, but the closest I have come to it was creating a standard VM with SQL tools on it and I would create one for every customer I worked for.

I hope you start to feel better... sometimes its almost easier to have an 'end' than a 'limbo'.

What I wanted was to either sort things out and leave the chance of friendship in the future or to at least get closure and find out why it's had to be like this. Although I feel really badly let down I know that in some of these chance meetings I haven't come across particularly well so I know there's a shared blame here, but I came across badly because of how worried and hurt I was. I had to try...

I feel bad, maybe you still shouldn't give up if it makes you feel this bad?

I'm not giving up completely as there's still one thing I can do: write a letter. I've been thinking of doing this for about a month now and it will probably be bloody long. I might say exactly the same things in an e-mail too as there's nothing to lose now.

There is something to be said for a letter versus talking. It is sometimes easier to type/write things than say them in person and you have time to think and choose your words carefully.

I've been practising what I was going to say since February. It's changed a bit since then but the message is essentially the same. I wanted to sort this out face to face so it's pretty frustrating to have wasted so much time and energy going over the same speech in my head time and time again!

I've been practising what I was going to say since February. It's changed a bit since then but the message is essentially the same. I wanted to sort this out face to face so it's pretty frustrating to have wasted so much time and energy going over the same speech in my head time and time again!

...Why am I meant to face this alone
Asking the question time and again...

I'm really sorry hear that this happened to you. You definitely shouldn't give up just yet. Especially since there was something there before. It's weird that suddenly, the other person doesn't want anything to do with you. Maybe something is going on in their life and they need to figure things out? I hope the best for you.

I'll try to get some Iron Maiden lyrics into the letter. That might make me feel better!

In school years ago I had to write a poem and used a sentence from Phantom of the Opera and nobody got the reference and I got a A for the poem. A cousin of mine did the same thing with strange world (again nobody in class got the reference)

Back