Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

For example when I say dollar, everybody understands USD. I don't need to be more specific, or I would say Jamaican dollar.

Don't worry, simply say 'football' & pretty much everyone on this planet will understand the correct one.

When I think of the English word "Football" I think of the American variant, because that is what I watch. But when I say it in my native language, then yes it can only mean the Euro kind :D

I am into football since 1983. My whole class seemed to be supporting Ajax (Amsterdam) but one day there was a drunk on the train station handing out free Feyenoord scarfs (or is it shawls?) and he was shouting Feyenoord! Feyenoord! (Rotterdam) I still have the one he gave to me. Not unimporant: Both Ruud Gullit and Johan Cruyff played for Feyenoord that season. And guess what? They became the champions for the first time since 1974! Great memories.

I have always enjoyed international competitions. The first big tournament that I followed was Euro '84 with Platini. Naturally, also 1986 was great to watch (Belgium became 3rd!). Both tournaments without Holland but I didn't mind back then.

Football is played with an oblong ball that gets thrown, carried and kicked. ;)

I'm in a Crue state of mind; NP: Home Sweet Home

Yeah.

I silenced this thread for about an hour with Marco van Basten. Everyone is speechless. :D
*runs in opposite direction of people who don't care about it*

Here's something that's been on my mind lately.

I always thought that by the time I'm 30, I would be going to dinner parties wearing a suit, drinking red wine and talking to my peers about the recent UN peace plan, the demise of social democracy, and the Berlin Philharmonics' recent Tchaikovsky performance. Now I'm 28, we all drink till we puke and my mates talk about Star Wars, Tolkien and Nintendo... the stuff you should have grown out of when you were 12.

I do sometimes drink red wine, though.

Lonely is the word...
.... when talking about Tolkien
Fantasy is also for adults
.... for Per 't remains to be seen

(literature and film wise naturally)

.... when talking about Tolkien
Fantasy is also for adults

I don't know, stories with elves, dwarves, dragons and fairies have a lot in common with what I read as fairy tales when I was a child. I also heard that The Hobbit was written as a children's book. But I don't really care - each to his own. I just wish that people wouldn't always only talk about that sort of thing and annoy me with it. I'd rather be talking about Kipling and Hemingway. But when I start to, nobody has read it. And when I say I haven't read The Sinmarillion, everybody looks at me as if I'm a space alien. I'm not talking about this board, btw, but about what is going on in my every-day life.

Back