Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Wasted CLV said:
Woo hoo!  I passed the first of the two exams!  Half way A+ certified.
Congrats.

I must say, I went on to the CompTIA site and downloaded some sample questions. It has inspired me to perhaps take these tests as I could answer most of the questions without study.

Thanks!! 

I'm sure with as much as you know, it wouldn't be hard at all.  A lot of it was scenarios, where you would answer a pretty logical question.  some of it was pretty specific... I don't know command line stuff very well yet, so that wasn't easy.  but the rest was pretty good.  

haha!  yeah, like that.  (I may hafta steal that one from you LC ;))

I know some of the easy stuff like ping, telnet, ipconfig, chkdsk, and the like.  One question I had no idea about was something about renaming a network hard drive letter... meh. 

Wasted CLV said:
One question I had no idea about was something about renaming a network hard drive letter... meh. 
If I ever had to do that, I guess I would of done:

NET USE X: /DELETE & NET USE Y: \\SERVER\SHARE SecretPassword /USER:DOMAIN\UserName

And so Network drive X: becomes Y:

LOL, people are going nuts about German Wikipedia's article of the day. :D

Ironically, posting a link to it would violate our forum rules. So I'm just letting you find out for yourselves.

Perun said:
LOL, people are going nuts about German Wikipedia's article of the day. :D
Not sure what to say to that. :D

Albie said:
NET USE X: /DELETE & NET USE Y: \\SERVER\SHARE SecretPassword /USER:DOMAIN\UserName
Actually, I think the password parameter could be omitted as it will of been cached.

Albie said:
If I ever had to do that, I guess I would of done:

And so Network drive X: becomes Y:

I can't remember the layout, but the word 'persistant' and the option of 'yes' or 'no' was there.  So maybe I don't have the question quite right.

@Per, off to read wiki!

Wasted CLV said:
I can't remember the layout, but the word 'persistant' and the option of 'yes' or 'no' was there.  So maybe I don't have the question quite right.
PERSISTENT is a switch used in NET USE - i.e. NET USE Z: \\SERVER\SHARE /PERSISTENT:YES (or NO). What /PERSISTENT:YES does is to make the share available every time the user logs on. If you say /PERSISTENT:NO it makes the share available until the user logs off. If you want it back after the user logs off/on, you have to do the NET USE again.

hm.  ok (see, I don't know that part so well).  I know it was changing the drive name, but maybe sharing the drive as well?  sorry, I didn't know it enough to remember it properly. 

Sorry, the share is just what you assign a network drive to. So to use PERSISTENT in my original idea, it would be revised as:

NET USE X: /DELETE & NET USE Y: \\SERVER\SHARE /PERSISTENT:YES

That would change the network drive letter from X: to Y:

Ok, that is looking kind of right.  I think I'm going to look into something that gives me a better knowledge of that.  Granted, maybe 3-4 questions out of 100 were of that nature, but still good to know.  They were big on customer service and proper methodology and documentation.

The problem with command line knowledge is that people tend not to use so much as they used to. GUI's are taking over and I think it's a shame. Personally, I like to use commands and have loads of them in batch/script files on my PC (to do backups and stuff).

I learned to compute on DOS 6.6, so I still have a pretty strong body of command line stuff. Though admittedly, nowadays I am more learned in Unix due to working, and I tend to GUI for most things.

I can dig that... i'd like to know more command line stuff.  I was learning about telnet and found a game called avatar-- ever heard of it?  all text based ... kinda interesting.

Back