Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Wasted CLV said:
Really?  I haven't watched many episodes, mainly the movie (which I did enjoy).  What is it that you don't like? 

The concept of Firefly is an allegory to the American Civil War except it pulls for the Confederates.

Eddies Wingman said:
It took some time and sure cost a lot of money.

And some "slavery". My brother was in that country last year, and they use thousands of South Asians who have to work in poor working conditions.

I am not sure about a next project but probably there'll be a bigger one soon enough. ;)

Forostar said:
And some "slavery". My brother was in that country last year, and they use thousands of South Asians who have to work in poor working conditions.

I know. The wealth of some of these Arab oil-states does not come from oil only, but also from exploiting cheap workforce from India, Pakistan et cetera. When I visited Qatar a year ago, I talked to a few Indian taxi drivers. I got the impression that most Indians in Qatar had low-status jobs and a lousy salary compared to the locals (but still good compared to what they could earn in India, which was the reason for moving).

Of course, the same problem exists to a certain extent in Europe. Many Eastern Europeans go to Western and Northern Europe to work (in Norway, we have a huge influx of building workers from Poland, for example). Not all employers seem to care about the rules, and our last few governments have all had a handful in dealing with social dumping.

It's not just Holland and Dubai. The United States has the same problem with Mexican labour. Besides, in Holland, they might have to work outdoors in winter temperatures, which is just as bad, especially if you're from a warm area.

Forostar said:
LOL!

I just read that the tower is designed by an American called:

Adrian Smith!

I think we had that flying around here five years ago or so. Still, it basically sums up that...

Adrian Smith built Burj Dubai.

Still, call me crazy, but when I see that building, I can't help but be reminded of this one:

babel.jpg

Perun said:
Still, call me crazy, but when I see that building, I can't help but be reminded of this one:

babel.jpg

Hope the one in Dubai doesn't spawn as many new languages as the one in Babylon did (if we are to believe Genesis)  :smartarse:

Forostar said:

Poor working conditions and low wages aren't the same thing as slavery. Not even close.

Perun said:

babel.jpg

Holy shit we had this conversation today in work. Burj Dubai is a modern Babel Tower that's for sure
which shows us that Babylonians used to wash their money as well  :smartarse:

Conversation earlier today:

Me: "Looks like I won't be going out tomorrow, since I have to work on my presentation on Dusty Crotch Khomeini."
Mate: "Ah, so the Hidden Imam is probably hiding in the Ayatollah's pants. Nobody is going to look there."  

:innocent:

And one from me:

Me: "I can't believe that South Africa had all day to bowl England out - and they failed!" (followed by a very smug :D)
South African co-worker: "Oh, we just felt sorry for you guys."

Yeah right.

Albie said:
And one from me:

Me: "I can't believe that South Africa had all day to bowl England out - and they failed!" (followed by a very smug :D)
South African co-worker: "Oh, we just felt sorry for you guys."

Yeah right.
I ran half the way home from school and managed to get in, in time for the last 10 balls  :bigsmile: Great result!

Yay!  <*Sarcasm>  The Dubai tower, another example of monument building; modern version of the pyramids.  The country is despotic.  Good luck trying to fill the space in that tower.  

Back