Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Albie said:
Credit cards are OK, I have two of 'em. Best thing to use online, I think. It also seems that the way you described debit-cards are different to what we have. Are you saying that you credit the card with cash and then spend it? Or credit your bank account with cash and use the debit card to spend that (the latter is how debit cards work here). There are cards that you can get like the former, but they never really got off the ground. Mondex, was one.

Well, yeah-- my debit card, based on my checking account, is a Master Card-- looks just like a credit card, and is taken anywhere MC is taken.  I had one that was a Visa, same deal.  Depends on the bank as to which company they use.  The bonus to them as a merchant is that when you use your PIN with the debit card, there is no transaction fee (like the 1.5% - 4.5% on a usuall card transaction for the merchant).  As for the customer, some banks (such as mine) will offer an incentive to use that vs. a check-- each time I swipe my card and enter my pin (used like debit vs credit) they credit my account 10 cents-- not a lot, but on 50 transactions a month, it a free $5.  I haven't looked, but it used to be that a person could buy a pre paid 'credit card'-- in reality debit, cause it would only let you use the amount on it, never an overdraft.  I know that many businesses use them as 'spiffs'  -- kawasaki and suzuki give sales people debit cards and when they sell specific units, the put $50 on it and it is used like a credit card (has the MC or Visa logo on it)-- I have a friend that works for the Gov't out west, and they will kick them a $25, $50 or $100 card for certain events.

scary.png

Wasted CLV said:
As for the customer, some banks (such as mine) will offer an incentive to use that vs. a check
We got an incentive to use debit cards over cheques - well, not really an incentive, more an ultimatum. And not from the banks, from the shops:

"Use your debit card or cash, or don't bother coming back to our store."

Cheques are history - I only write them out for birthday/Christmas presents. That said, I have had to write on of the largest amounts I have had to write on a cheque - to pay for my new windows.

Cheques are great, they allow you the flexibility of stretching your payment the way you want it.
Plus, there's no fees (at least over here).

I don't have credit card, i have debit card, and it suits my online needs well. I don't want credit card because i hate banks. I would also like to receive real cash but laws dictate only to bank account.

...Now that's funny; There was a joint survey somewhere in Egypt and I did everything I could not to go,
though I was designed to. I'm a bit sick of Egypt, after 8 times in 9 months (and 4 times in a row).
So I manipulated things to go and see another vessel in Jordan.

I was so happy, I was preparing myself to arrange a day off and go to visit Petra.
But most of all, I was happy not to go in that Egypt again.

This yesterday.

Today, I call the superintendent to arrange my flight, guess what:
Plans changed, the vessel will be at Suez this Monday, waiting my arrival there  :D

:dead:

Prisoner Of Maiden said:
Oktoberfest begins in New Berlin..I mean Kitchener tonight. time to be drunk and German for 9 days!! :yey:

Have fun!  I've not been to Kitchener since my high school days even though it is just a short drive away.

I've been to Kitchener once, and I remember seeing German patriotic posters there that would be considered nazi here. But anyway, have fun with the Fest!

I rubbed them in a dry rub made of paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, rosemary, ground cayenne, salt, dry mustard and oregano.  Then I wrapped them in tinfoil and baked them at 250 for 3 hours.  Then I grilled them on low, after dousing it in a sauce made of Bulls-eye (30%), Ketchup (40%, ran out of bbq sauce), chili sauce (20%), and worchestershire sauce, Jamaican jerk, and five spurts of superhotsauce (10%).  Then 15 minutes on low on each side, and...voila.

Delicious.

Back