Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Perun said:
Disagree. Muslim raids continued after Poitiers. Southern France was a frequent target for Muslim raids after the battle for over a century, and a French town, don't remember which one (can check when I'm home) was held by Arabs for several decades in the 9th century.

Narbonne, logically

I just watched an early fifties movie and one of the actors was called Speck Noblitt.
Did I just read the name Speck Noblitt in the end credits?  Yes, I did. Speck Noblitt.

::)

You would think becoming an actor is a chance to change your name...

Anybody got an idea how I can order from Amazon.com (not Germany) without a credit card?

Nope. Only credit card, Gift Card, Amazon.com Store Card or US Checking Account.

You may check at your bank-- some of them offer pre paid debit cards that you can pack with cash and use like a credit card-- different from a debit card associated with a checking account.  Also, I thought at one time you could get from places like Walmart, a pre charged debit card.

Actually, my Bank even offers me a credit card... but seeing how much money I owe them, I don't think they'll give it to me anymore.

Nope. They don't even have the stuff I want on Amazon.de, and that's what pisses me off... Amazon.de doesn't require credit cards.

Perun said:
Actually, my Bank even offers me a credit card... but seeing how much money I owe them, I don't think they'll give it to me anymore.

Well, credit cards are all well and good-- or the devil-- but a debit card will act just the same, looks the same and will have money you own on it...

I'm lost without my credit card, it's one of my job's tools like my passport & camera,
but every time that I'm returning from abroad I pay directly my fees to VISA card.

In my personal life I'm always paying cash: my car, furniture, everything cash; here and now.
I prefer to gather something from the street like I did many times
or buy an old car /used PC like I'm doing every time, than owing to banks
Besides I'm a nomad, so I prefer not to give too much money for things that I'll abandon tomorrow.

Business is different though, you can not start /run a business without owing -at least in the start...

Wasted CLV said:
Well, credit cards are all well and good-- or the devil-- but a debit card will act just the same, looks the same and will have money you own on it...

Not in the rest of the world, Wasted.  In the US, most debit cards seem subsidized by credit card companies, but in order for me to buy anything online, I need an actual credit card or paypal.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
It depends, with some debit cards you can buy things on line

Usually they're backed by a credit card company here...IE, your bank and Visa partnering together.  I don't know why you can't purchase more things online with debit cards, it only makes sense, but in Canada you can't.

LooseCannon said:
Not in the rest of the world, Wasted.  In the US, most debit cards seem subsidized by credit card companies, but in order for me to buy anything online, I need an actual credit card or paypal.

Huh, I didn't know that.  Good to know, tho.  We do have it pretty good here for that.

LooseCannon said:
Usually they're backed by a credit card company here...IE, your bank and Visa partnering together.  I don't know why you can't purchase more things online with debit cards, it only makes sense, but in Canada you can't.

In Europe as well it's more likely not to can buy on line with a debit card, than the opposite.
But sometimes you can.

I think it has to do with the interests, because in the case of visa card somebody borrows you money,
which doesn't happen with the debit card.

Wasted CLV said:
Well, credit cards are all well and good-- or the devil
Credit cards are OK, I have two of 'em. Best thing to use online, I think. It also seems that the way you described debit-cards are different to what we have. Are you saying that you credit the card with cash and then spend it? Or credit your bank account with cash and use the debit card to spend that (the latter is how debit cards work here). There are cards that you can get like the former, but they never really got off the ground. Mondex, was one.

Debit card is when you have some money on the account, sometimes you can take more than you have and some other times
much more -it depends your salary and the contract.

Credit -you don't need to have any money, just there is a limit of credit.

There is also a credit /debit card, one card that includes both functions, interesting but has some limitations regarding
its credit 'side'

Albie said:
Are you saying that you credit the card with cash and then spend it? 

An interesting one -but not all banks furnish that- is the prepaid card, which has the status of visa but it functions like a debit card
You 'fill' the card from an account and you can use it on internet or in shops. Yet is limited to the amount that you put
when you fill it.

Or credit your bank account with cash and use the debit card to spend that (the latter is how debit cards work here).

This is the definition of the debit card, yes

Back