Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Forostar said:
  :lol:

Maybe a friend put it there when/if you passed out for a moment?  ;)

If only I could remember. It seems like I'm missing half an hour from that evening, judging by what my mates told me.

New post, this time in two parts due to length.

Wasted CLV said:
Ah, good for you!  Luckily for me, if the floods here ever affect me, the world is in some big hurt-- my house is on a bluff, 250 feet back and 100+ feet above the river banks.

LC, thanks for the links!!

That would be a massive mud slide. 

LooseCannon said:
Yesterday's blog post is up!  Time to move on to today's!
Today's is now up!

I read the one about the Halifax. Interesting. If I may ask, where did it exactly bring your father to? Near the shores of Iraq, or another country?

Dad was part of Combined Task Force 150 in the Persian Gulf and Gulf of Oman area, providing air support from USS Enterprise and USS Carl Vinson.  Beyond that his operations there are classified.

He's told me one or two stories, but I don't think I can repeat them.  Which tells you how serious they took it...

It's been 4 years of waiting but finally they are back home - The Ashes have been reclaimed by the English. And what a way to end your test career by running out one of the greatest batsman of his generation - Ricky Ponting - in superb style. Well done Freddie.

The Ashes is a Cricket championship, if I'm correct... but as you know, I can't tell cricket from wicket ;)

Well, Wicket uses a stick to try and achieve his goals...and in cricket, they use a stick...to try and score goals.

THEY'RE THE SAME THING!

pilau said:
As Perun said, it's a series of Cricket tests that are played out between England and Australia on a bi-annual basis with each team taking it in turns to host it. This year, it was in England. Basically, they play each other 5 times (each game is called a Test and all 5 tests are collectively known as a series) and the winner of the most matches wins the series and The Ashes. If it's a draw in the amount of tests won, then the current holder keeps The Ashes.

And if you really want to know the history of The Ashes and why it is called so, it's simply down to the fact that around 1880 (something), the Australians beat England in a series in England and it was deemed so bad that they said back then it was the death of English cricket - and so they burned the bails and stumps, put it in a little urn and gave it to the Aussies to take home. And so it has been fought after ever since. That said, the original urn is, I believe, in a display cabinet in the MCC hq in London - what is kept by the victors is a replica (as well as a large crystal replica).

Or, if you want to know the real story, read The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy.  It will let you know the real history behind it all.

Back