Let's try and get 1,000,000 replies to this post

Well, sure, you'll see lots more rain that I have at the moment-- tho our annual rainfall has to be going wonkers.  ...tho don't forget my floods from last year!  -not to compare natural disasters :D  I don't envy your position-- our rains are merely annoying, a hurricane is/can be dangerous. 

As to insurance-- claims are usually paid quickly in disaster times-- within days of the occurance.  What is paid out first is the 'cash value' of both the home and any personal property lost/damaged.  Once receipts for the purchase price of new items are turned in, the 'replacement price' is then added to the initial payout. 

Wasted CLV said:
As to insurance-- claims are usually paid quickly in disaster times-- within days of the occurance.  What is paid out first is the 'cash value' of both the home and any personal property lost/damaged.  Once receipts for the purchase price of new items are turned in, the 'replacement price' is then added to the initial payout. 

That's great !

I should clarify that you don't get the replacement price and the cash price-- that may have been misleading.  you get the cash value first, then the difference between the purchase price and the cash price you were originally given.  This is so you get something for stuff you'll never replace, and you have to actually replace the stuff you want to get paid for it.

I should state that this is based on my personal observance.  I think there were lots of 'shenanigans' going on during the Katrina Hurricane debacle.  Around here, we had a tornado go through a town and pretty much destroy the whole place.  Insurance companies sent claims agents there to work day and night to try to take care of their clients.

Well, what happened with Katrina is that FEMA said they'd handle the people...and then didn't handle the people.  There were Canadian Forces personnel in some areas of Louisiana before there were ANY American aid workers.  A group of Mounties DROVE down from Alberta and were the first relief workers in a Mississippi town of over 10,000.  That was really scary to me when I heard it.
Also, Wasted:
The story I was writing about the dystopian future needs to be revisited because since then I have done a lot of research on evangelicalism in the US military, and been rather shocked by what I've seen and read.  I am sure it is not all true, but I want to research it much more before I continue writing.

LooseCannon said:
Speaking as someone who's lived through over a dozen, they're not that bad, unless the wind damages your house, or your storm drain backs up and floods your basement, or the power goes out for an extended period of time.  My point was that Nova Scotia will be slammed with a whopping 10 inches of rain on Sunday, and will put whatever rain they are seeing in the twin cities of Berlin and whereever the fuck Wasted lives to shame.

Speaking of crazy weather, my town was flooded last month totalling millions of damage to homes and yesterday 200 homes were destroyed by tornadoes in another city in southern Ontario.

Genghis Khan said:
Speaking of crazy weather, my town was flooded last month totalling millions of damage to homes and yesterday 200 homes were destroyed by tornadoes in another city in southern Ontario.

Sheesh!  that is crazy!  Floods and tornadoes one after the other.  Did it affect your home?

LooseCannon said:
Yeah, it's kinda freaky.  I'm thinking about asking Dean for some of his thoughts eventually.

I'd be curious as to what you are seeing/reading.  If you are of the mood, pm me some links.

Wasted CLV said:
Sheesh!  that is crazy!  Floods and tornadoes one after the other.  Did it affect your home?

No I was spared.  The flooding happened in the part of the city that has plenty of creeks.  In February, I spent about $6,000 fixing my leaky basement.  Had it not been done, I surely would have had a massive flood though.

I did go to that party after all. I got very drunk very early along with some others, but now I'm near-sober again.

Also, I found a pizza snack in my jacket when I put it on. It can only have gotten there on Wednesday night, but I can't remember by any means of the world how it got in there. What a night it was...

Perun said:
Also, I found a pizza snack in my jacket when I put it on. It can only have gotten there on Wednesday night, but I can't remember by any means of the world how it got in there. What a night it was...

:lol:

Maybe a friend put it there when/if you passed out for a moment?  ;)

Genghis Khan said:
No I was spared.  The flooding happened in the part of the city that has plenty of creeks.  In February, I spent about $6,000 fixing my leaky basement.  Had it not been done, I surely would have had a massive flood though.

Ah, good for you!  Luckily for me, if the floods here ever affect me, the world is in some big hurt-- my house is on a bluff, 250 feet back and 100+ feet above the river banks.

LC, thanks for the links!!

Back