LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bruce can’t sing anymore and Dave hasn’t touched a guitar in years?
No, they are in top form. I haven't seen a band that seems to be retiring anytime soon.
They sounded crisp and precise and didn’t play too slow.
I think I surprised the people around me. I almost fell asleep listening to Airbourne and then really rocked out during Iron Maiden.
But Bruce needs to take more German lessons. He wanted to tell us something about ”ein kleines Scheißhaus”. I didn’t get it. :D
Minus point: "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". Yes, it's a tradition, you don't have to explain anything.
But I was so moved by the show, the songs, their musicianship, that this cheesy song after all of that got on my nerves.

especially when these poor quality shirts also come with insane pricing for them. Not only are they cheap but they are cashing in big time knowing the sheep will buy anything lol
Again FWIW, I saw that Leppard, Crue, Poison, and Jett are all charging $50 (or more) for their shirts, too. Guess it's the new going rate now.

PS: I did not buy anything, so I am not 100% sure.
But I saw "cash only" signs. So if someone wants merch, even if it is too expensive, better take cash to be on the safe side.

Bruce can’t sing anymore and Dave hasn’t touched a guitar in years?
No, they are in top form. I haven't seen a band that seems to be retiring anytime soon.
They sounded crisp and precise and didn’t play too slow.
I think I surprised the people around me. I almost fell asleep listening to Airbourne and then really rocked out during Iron Maiden.
But Bruce needs to take more German lessons. He wanted to tell us something about ”ein kleines Scheißhaus”. I didn’t get it. :D
Minus point: "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life". Yes, it's a tradition, you don't have to explain anything.
But I was so moved by the show, the songs, their musicianship, that this cheesy song after all of that got on my nerves.
Bruce sings like 2006 or 2008. But Aces High at the end its not a good choice. Dale Murray solos are meh. but this band is sounding like Early 00s

I haven't got my ticket yet. I'm really not a fan of charging more for the front rows, I think Bruce condemned it too. The prices are very high too, 90€ for the front rows (cash only, 100€ if bought online for some stupid reason). It was much cheaper in 2018 with more bands and without front row barriers. Let alone how many concerts there were and will be in Athens this summer, all much cheaper (Scorpions & Alice Cooper for 20€, Bauhaus/Jesus & The Mary Chain/Deus for 35€,Judas Priest with Cradle of filth for 45€, Sabaton/Epica/Blind Guardian for 45€ too, etc.) That being said, Maiden are Maiden and I'll try to buy a physical hard copy ticket tomorrow. Still very disappointing pricing and I don't know who to blame. Airbourne seem interesting, I only know their most popular song (that one with Lemmy).
There was also an incident with a disabled girl that couldn't get a ticket, they told her they were sold out. I can post and translate the story if you don't know about it. Then the company that brought Maiden to Athens paid a showbiz show to promote them which is kinda cringe.

Lot of comments about the graphics on tour shirts, do people buy many? Can't say I have much interest in owning an event shirt from an event I wasn't at.

It's a joke Bruce is doing everywhere. One of the English slang terms for a toilet is the "shithouse". Usually, in public toilets people write graffiti on the wall, so he is trying to hint at Writing on the Wall being the next song in the set.

The show yesterday was amazing. I got two shirts, one with the stained-glass window Eddies and the other with the Trooper Eddie fighting the Senjutsu one. The event shirt was too ugly for me, which is unfortunate, since I got the Germany event shirt on my last Maiden concert in 2013. We got to the venue at 11:30-ish, looked a bit around and went away for an hour to get lunch. Got back after that and waited in the shade of the trees until we were allowed to enter at 16 o'clock. Made it to the third row, standing somewhere between Bruce and Adrian.

I was surprised with the opening bands. I had listened to 30 seconds or so of a Lord of the Lost song a couple years back when I got the tickets and turned it off because I hated what I heard. Turns out they are quite fun live, even though their set was only 30 minutes long. Not something I'll seek out to listen to on my own time, but certainly fun in a concert setting. Unfortunately, where we were standing, the sound was abyssmal, so I could hardly understand any of the opening acts and even Maiden was difficult to understand properly. More on that futher down.

Airbourne I've always known as an AC/DC style rock band, but had never heard anything from them. Before the show I thought I'd hate LOTL but enjoy Airbourne, but the opposite is actually true. The frontman is an absolute madman and lives for his music. They know how to put on a show. Sadly I found their music aggressively boring to me. All the songs sounded the same and I was wishing for it to end, didn't expect to react to them like that.

Maiden was in great shape. Their perfomance was fantastic and the show is obviously phenomenal. I even managed to catch one of Adrian's picks which made my night! Interestingly enough, even though we were right at the front, it was rather relaxed. FOTD was the first time some real motion got going and a bit of moshing reached the front rows and from then on, especially during RTTH and The Trooper it got quite rowdy.

The sound issues were unfortunate. Janick's clean tone sounded as if his guitar was out of tune and Bruce sounded as if he was a half step to high over whole lines (like the high verses in Senjutsu). None of these were actual issues though, since they sounded perfect on phone recordings. Another thing I found much more interesting were some timing problems. I saw some videos where Bruce had issues hearing himself and was rushing a bit and yesterday the same happened. He had problems on Run To The Hills but Iron Maiden was especially evident before the first verse, were basically everyone on stage looked confused, looked at Bruce and tried to find the correct timing. Was pretty amusing to see something so human at a show of this level.

From where we were standing it was quite difficult to gauge the audience involvement, but TWOTW was met with a lot of enthusiasm, that much is certain. There was a hilarious moment during Blood Brother, where some people were clapping on the first beat of every measure, while others (me included :D) clapped on the second and third (think of the "yeah yeah!" moment from Rock in Rio). Bruce was amused and said something along the lines of "this is all over the place, but I love it".

Long story short: I loved every second. It was a joy to hear Stratego, SOTC and The Clansman live and I can't wait to see what a proper Senjutsu tour will have in store for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back