LEGACY OF THE BEAST WORLD TOUR 2022 - **CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, I think it bears repeating that the posts on this thread are people who haven't seen Maiden live on this tour telling people who have seen Maiden live on this tour that Maiden didn't play very well and/or the setlist was crap.

Because watching some shaky phone videos on YouTube = "I attended" or something. :facepalm:

I think you are missing the point completely (at least the one I am trying to make). I am sure that live they are still a blast (Maiden are one of the best live bands ever), but it is undeniable that they are playing Aces High significantly slower than in the past.

Is this done out of necessity or is it a stylistic choice?

Is this done out of necessity or is it a stylistic choice?

That's the debate, Bruce definitely sang Aces High much more powerfully, and things like Senjutsu were much more powerful than the album version. Hallowed at the album tempo is something Bruce has long wanted.

But the sneaky suspicion is that maybe it's not to help the vocal that is causing the drop in tempo, is it to help Nicko?

We are already taught that TWOTW is the new FOTD, and next thing somebody will argue that Senjutsu is such a cracking show opener that in 20 years it's gonna replace Aces as the surprise 2nd encore. You cannot really ever afford to disappoint people who have paid to see two pagoda-shaped baloons, can you? :lol:

This is leg 3 of LOTB tour but I'm afraid it's also sort of leg 2 od A real live tour, only without announcements this time. Time will tell.

And yeah, seen Aces live on 4 different tours, 3 times great (2008, 2013 despite the odd placing and terrible sound, and 2018) and one time crap.

We are already taught that TWOTW is the new FOTD, and next thing somebody will argue that Senjutsu is such a cracking show opener that in 20 years it's gonna replace Aces as the surprise 2nd encore.

Writing on the Wall is the new Fear? I don’t really see it that way. No one is singing that riff, unlike the clean lead from the verse of Fear.

I also don’t see that argument being made for Senjutsu, strictly because I have to wonder if we’ll have a Maiden in 10 years.

I really don’t think this is quite going to be Real Live tour v2. Aces High is a damn hard song at full tempo - and then they regularly Jack it up from there. Nicko is 70! If they gotta slow it down to play it at the end of the show (which is a poor choice in so many different ways), then I’ll go with it.
Could also argue that the slower tempo brings the energy to more of a closer pace instead of it’s ferocity as an opener. But that’s just me. Look at the last few tours. Run to the Hills - mid-tempo at that stage of the show. Wasted Years - mid-tempo, Running Free and Sanctuary - not super fast. The last faster closer they’ve done was Hallowed on the SBIT tour IMO.

I did not look too much into it so please feel free to bash me.

1) Didn't Maiden already play in most of the places that this new LOTB tour leg is visiting? Bruce said that they have to do the gigs as people already paid for the Legacy show before the pandemic, yet they change the playlist, not just by adding the new songs.

2) I think that in the awfully sounding Nights of the dead, aces high is much faster than what is played now. I think the quality of the recordings so far should not have an effect to the captured tempo.

3) I've seen them live 8 times so far, it is the first time I see Bruce struggling so much (ok, I did not attend this latest leg, but most of us have been loyal Maiden fans for ages now....I think we can tell when someone sounds good or not. I mean even with the crappy sound we got on youtube Davey is on freaking fire. Bruce not so much (which is completely understandable).

4) I would kill to see the complete Senjutsu album being played live!

Cheers!

Last edited:
I don't know, Bruce has been steadily improving since the tour start, and he's doing alright. He is past his prime, but you know, he still sounds good and at times he sounds brilliant. Even Aces High has started to sound pretty good as far as Bruce's vocals goes. It's fine, folks.

This is pretty good.

Compare it to 2013 here. Yeah, it's faster, but the vocals are of pretty similar quality.

Writing on the Wall is the new Fear? I don’t really see it that way. No one is singing that riff, unlike the clean lead from the verse of Fear.

I also don’t see that argument being made for Senjutsu, strictly because I have to wonder if we’ll have a Maiden in 10 years.

I really don’t think this is quite going to be Real Live tour v2. Aces High is a damn hard song at full tempo - and then they regularly Jack it up from there. Nicko is 70! If they gotta slow it down to play it at the end of the show (which is a poor choice in so many different ways), then I’ll go with it.
Could also argue that the slower tempo brings the energy to more of a closer pace instead of it’s ferocity as an opener. But that’s just me. Look at the last few tours. Run to the Hills - mid-tempo at that stage of the show. Wasted Years - mid-tempo, Running Free and Sanctuary - not super fast. The last faster closer they’ve done was Hallowed on the SBIT tour IMO.
It was irony of course, for an average Maiden tune WOTW is being overpraised to death. Especially after experiencing it live - apart from the solos (both amazing, vintage Davey & H) it's really nothing to write home about. A real live tour was Bruce's farewell, and I wouldn't be surprised if some announcements are made after this tour, so therefore the comparison. He seems more tense than usual on this tour, and there are bits and pieces in the media, some kind of change is probably round the corner.

Anyway, I sense this might be the last opportunity to catch them in 3 or 4 different cities within 4-5 hours drive over 2 months, in this lineup and playing a set with dozen classics, and not due to advancing age or performance issues. I'd love to be proven wrong. Myself gave up going to Wiener Neustadt after seeing them in Zagreb, sadly and surprisingly had enough Maiden for now.

Great footage from Belfast here. Senjutsu and The Writing On The Wall.

Two interesting things... H is carrying a slide on the lower horn of his main green Jackson. It's attached via magnet. Could be something Thomas Nordegg did (Steve Vai's tech, who is a amster of velcro and magnets), while he was teching for H during the California S/K dates, because H was playing some slide there too.

Also, H is counting in Dave on TWOTW.

Anyway, I sense this might be the last opportunity to catch them in 3 or 4 different cities within 4-5 hours drive over 2 months, in this lineup and playing a set with dozen classics, and not due to advancing age or performance issues. I'd love to be proven wrong. Myself gave up going to Wiener Neustadt after seeing them in Zagreb, sadly and surprisingly had enough Maiden for now.
I think this will 100% be the last extensive world tour they take on.
I get the feeling many people will be disappointed with the 2023 dates . I predict a relatively small tour with dates in the biggest markets only, and it will be this way with every tour from next year on imo.

We are already taught that TWOTW is the new FOTD,
Literally no-one is saying this.
and next thing somebody will argue that Senjutsu is such a cracking show opener that in 20 years it's gonna replace Aces as the surprise 2nd encore.
20 years ago people said that Blood Brothers or The Wicker Man would never become classics.
You cannot really ever afford to disappoint people who have paid to see two pagoda-shaped baloons, can you? :lol:
At least some people have paid to see Maiden instead of staying at home and judging them from behind a keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back