"Well I doubt that they shall play that one!"
"My good dear sir, I hope you're wrong!"
Will it sound as good live? wonder I
Will they play it before we all die?

Alexander the Great
This song will go down in history
Alexander the Great
Until they play it, it's misery!

Their next history tour should be only epics, especially some that people assume they'd never play. That'd really shut folks up.

Maybe something like:

The Longest Day
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Phantom Of The Opera
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Dance Of Death (or Paschendale)
Mother Russia
Prodigal Son
To Tame A Land
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
When The Wild Wind Blows
Alexander The Great
---
Empire Of The Clouds

If you never saw the band live before, yes. But if you saw IM, TNOTB and FOTD 10+ times, Hallowed 9 times and TETMD 7 times, you would much rather hear something different instead of them.
Maiden will always play those songs. Always. Plus 2MTM, Run to the Hills, Wrathchild, etc. There is just no realistic way that they can play a set list consisting entirely of novelties to those who have seen them 10+ times. If people are sick of those songs, maybe they shouldn't go to gigs, especially those that are marketed as best hits.

Going to join into this whole fix the set so it is perfect for you trend which is happening. Personally I think the LOTB set is amazing and it honestly is a show which I hope comes to N.A. without any changes to it. But I've never gotten into POM nor any of the Blaze Era so Here is what I would change even if it is unrealistic

WAR
Churchill's Speech/Aces High
Where Eagles Dare
2M2M -->Anthem for Doomed Youth/Pachendale
The Clansman --> The Longest Day
The Trooper
RELIGION:
Revalations -> Stranger in a Strange Land
For The Greater Good of God --> Rime of the Ancient Mariner
The Wicker man --> Wasted Years
Sign of The Cross
Flight of Icarus
Hell:
Fear of the Dark --> If Eternity Should Fail
Number of the Beast --> Fear of the Dark
Iron Maiden ---> Number of The Beast
----
The Evil that Men Do --> Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run to The Hills

Album Count
IM: 0 [-1]
Killers: 0
NOTB: 3
POM: 3 [-1]
PS: 2
SIT 2 [+2]
SSOASS: 1
NPDTD: 0
FOTD: 1
XF: 1
V11: 0 [-1]
BNW 0 [-1]
DOD: 1 [+1]
AMOLAD: 1
TFF: 0
TBOS 1 [+1]

I have a question. Sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers...

There are other bands I love, but I only visit this Maiden forum. My question: Do fans of other bands complain about "hits/classics" being played/setlists as much as Maiden fans seem to do? I get it - Maiden has a deep catalogue and everyone has their personal favorite/least favorite songs, but still...

I mean, I can't see Rolling Stones fans saying "Dear God, they played Satisfaction and Start Me Up again....fuck my life!!!"......perhaps some do, I wouldn't know...

And no, I am not a "Play Classics" fan. I love seeing the rare songs (which there are several this tour), or would love to hear songs never played live (ATG, of course), and I love new album tours (wished like hell I could have seen the AMOLAD tour).

But I am always happy to hear the songs I've loved over the years as well, like Trooper,NOTB, RTTH, HBTN, FOTD, IM, etc. and not complain about it.

Last edited:
I think every band is going to have a group of fans that only want to hear deep cuts. Maiden is a unique case because they have a large cult following. Rolling Stones are huge and have a ton of hits that everybody knows. The ratio of casual fans to hardcore fans is probably not as small as with Maiden.

Personally I don’t have a problem with Maiden playing the hits, the casual fans paid their money too and deserve to have a good time. Maiden do the best they can to appease both camps (if anything, the hardcores get the most). My only problem is that the 4-5 songs that get played at almost every gig have gotten stale. Those songs are still awesome , but I don’t think they do them justice anymore. For a prime example of this, see Dave’s Number of the Beast solo.

Well I think they are sounding great this tour.

I just picked the Stones out of the blue. Maybe a better example would have been Priest. Wonder if you go to their forums you have fans complaining about hearing You Got Another Thing Comin', Breaking the Law, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods...meh, probably so...

Well I think they are sounding great this tour.

I just picked the Stones out of the blue. Maybe a better example would have been Priest. Wonder if you go to their forums you have fans complaining about hearing You Got Another Thing Comin', Breaking the Law, Living After Midnight, Metal Gods...meh, probably so...

I just read the past few posts and had to jump in! As much as I love Maiden, I adore KISS double fold! Being a diehard KISS fan has been excruciating since Ace and Peter left. Talk about stale sets. Also inferior album releases. Maiden have been awesome doing what they’re doing! I love the hits tours in between new album tours! Maiden is unbelievable when it comes to withstanding the test of time! They’re still relevant, put on the best live show (hands down)! Really loving what I’m seeing of the LOTB tour and hoping they shock everyone and come to New Orleans when they start the NA legs!

I've been following this thread in the last few days and after reading comments about taking FTGGOG and The Clansman out of the setlist I had to post something. I've watched most of the videos from the tour so far and that's definitely one of those tours that you can't miss at all. I just hope they come to Brazil next year because I'm already planning to see at least 2 shows.

I'm still amazed by the setlist really. I remember telling a friend of mine a couple of years ago these exact same words: "One of my wishes is to go to a Maiden show in which The Clansman is on the setlist, so I can listen to that beautiful intro and scream FREEDOM from the top of my lungs, but I think they will never play that song again." So, you can imagine the feeling when I saw The Clansman on the setlist. My wish is about to become a reality.... so Maiden, please I beg you, don't change the setlist.

And what can I say about FTGGOG, WED, FOI and SOTC? All of them masterpieces and some of my all time favorite. I couldn't be happier!

Many people also complain about songs like 2MTM, The Wicker Man, TETMD and RTTH, and that's when things get complicated, because while there are tons of people who have seen those songs a thousand times over at shows, there are also tons of people like me who have never seen those songs live. In my case I've seen just 5 of the songs on the current setlist. And I've seen them only once at TBOS tour. So I think this time they came closer than ever to pleasing everybody, the setlist is well balanced between songs they don't play often and songs they play every time. It could be better? Of course, the band is full of amazing songs... they could stay hours and hours on stage and they still wouldn't be able to play all people's favorites.

AtG haters: get used to the fact that they will play it. Not on this tour, but in the future. Mark my words (believe my soul lives on, etc).

Not a 'hater,' but neither am I naive enough to keep up the "this time, for sure" mindset. I'd love to be wrong on this particular topic, but I just don't see it happening

If we’re going unrealistic, I’d like to see them retire NOTB/Fear/Hallowed/Run To the Hills. Not because they’re bad songs, but the band is totally on autopilot for them and has been for at least 25 years.
Exactly how I feel although I'm only watching on YT.
As always, thoroughly enjoy the show up to Fear when the fast forward starts. These 4 get skipped every time.

From the shows I checked so far I think they need to drop FTGGOG and The clansman. I found them too be quite boring and repetitive.

FTGGOG maybe, but The Clansman is a highlight (along with FOI) and the fans love the song - one of the best Maiden's songs for sure !
Kick out 2MTM, IMO it's the weakest song in the set.

... :nonono: it's always good to hear this song. I really like that 2MTM and TWM are on the setlist ;)
And then Fear Of The Drop. I'm annoyed how Bruce was saying during the interviews that while he is singing FOTD, he is already thinking about encores and yet it is still featured in the set. It hasn't been dropped for this tour, despite not fitting in that place in the set theme. If you are so against Play Classics! crowds, drop FOTD for a tour FFS. It's been 13 years of constant outings of FOTD.

FOTD is a fan favorite and one of Maiden's biggest hits, so I think it's not going anywhere !

Last edited:
Their next history tour should be only epics, especially some that people assume they'd never play. That'd really shut folks up.

Maybe something like:

The Longest Day
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Phantom Of The Opera
The Thin Line Between Love And Hate
Dance Of Death (or Paschendale)
Mother Russia
Prodigal Son
To Tame A Land
Rime Of The Ancient Mariner
When The Wild Wind Blows
Alexander The Great
---
Empire Of The Clouds
This is never going to happen, but I'm glad to see Prodigal Son in your list. It deserves to be there, up with all the other masterpieces you mentionned.

I mean, I can't see Rolling Stones fans saying "Dear God, they played Satisfaction and Start Me Up again....fuck my life!!!"......perhaps some do, I wouldn't know...

Well, the Stones switch songs in the playlist a bit more, IMHO, even during the tour, but yes, they have a huge back catalogue which can't help but feel a bit underused and from what I've seen and read, yes, even Stones fans complain that some songs aren't being played live (enough). For example, if setlist.fm is to be believed, they played Some Girls only thrice in the new millennium (November 2006, June 2007 and June 2015) and they haven't played Rip This Joint since 2003.

Anyway, the ATG obsession starts to get really annoying. I mean, it's only a song, for Pete's sake, epic, maybe, but also with clunky lyrics and half-assed chorus. If we deleted all the posts that discuss or speculate about ATG (three weeks after the start of the tour, as Perun already mentioned), this thread would lose 20% of its length.

On the other hand, while I don't say you can't enjoy the classics, but does anyone look forward to IM in the setlist? Really?

Maiden will always play their classics, like the other bands do - especially Kiss ! And the current tour is for greatest hits, so.... sure, it is hard for a band like Maiden that have so many great songs to put out a setlist that will please everyone, but the great thing is that they alternate album tour with hits tour - they play almost every year with a good amount of concerts with not so long rest, so their fans can go and see them more often (unlike Judas Priest which are not touring from 2015 to 2018... + only on the current JP tour, they bring back some rarities !)

Yeah, Maiden should be more creative (with DVD's, history tours, documentaries, artworks etc...) nowadays, but hey, they were (and still are) the best band in the 80's with the coolest artworks and with the amazing and very intelligent music. I spent days looking at the all of the Eddies on the artworks. No other band will ever achieve this greatness and legacy that Maiden are going to leave us. Maiden will always be with us - in our hearts it has a special place for them and when we listen to this special place - we will be grateful (maybe with a tears to our eyes) that we were part of the Maiden family ! And when Trooper or FOTD starts playing in our mind we will be: ''that's the greatness as it should be''...

The biggest hits of every band is the songs that the fans want to hear on every concert ! I'm glad that Maiden are still touring and put out an amazing show with a great performance by the band. They have more energy on stage nowadays than most of the young bands and the other classic bands from the 80's. Not only that, they continue to release quality new music and to be as relevant today as they were in the 80's ! If you think about, all of us continue to listen to the classics (we will miss them when they retired) when we listen our daily Maiden playlist :D Sure some of them are overplayed, but they will never get old :) Sure, I also want for a couple of deep cuts to be returned on every tour - that's the magic of the Maiden music - so many great songs and every fan has their favorites.... the current tour have 5 deep cuts, so not bad !

And finally, I want to say: UP the Irons !!! <3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back