Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great gig! I didn't realize a seated gig could be so great. The band was fired up and the audience loud! A particular thing during The Evil that we need to see again. Someone threw a huge fake fish on stage. Dave started to play guitar with it immediately and Adrian thought it was great (obviously the gift was a reference to his fisherman-being). But Steve kicked it in the audience. Adrian gestured he wanted it back and it was thrown back! Then Adrian kicked it to the back of the stage, intending to keep it I guess. His guitar technician stuck it on a microstand and it was kept there for the rest of the song.

I am again amazed by the energy of this band. Absolutely not a 60+ band. Janick ran so fast and kicked so high. He had cool interaction with Adrian in the impressive instrumental section of FTGGOG. His solos are indeed messy at times but his energy and fun make that up more than enough. The Clansman solo was one of the better ones. Bruce was also jumping so much. So much fire. And very good voice! His days off did not matter.

And Nicko has his second (or third) youth. Such good drumming. In all the songs. The only thing that went wrong (that was not his fault I think) was something in the FOTD intro. Janick played the melody a bit too slow, and I think Bruce takes over the speed of that very melody so Nicko had to slow down to keep the rest together (sometimes there are moments when you should not keep the same tempo, this was one of them), but it sounded a bit messy. Still if he kept going in the same tempo it would have been worse because Bruce would have stayed too much behind. When the heavy part started, I almost thought it might have been one of the faster versions of the last 20 years (because of the irritation?), but maybe not, perhaps I just wanted it to be like that.

Adrian had a very nice solo in The Number of the Beast. There were some bluesy parts in it. Wonderful. I think he was playing very good tonight. Also in The Wicker Man. Also Dave was very good. His Trooper solo was impressive. He threw in a high note at some unexpetcted moment, and it sounded quite different than most earlier editions, I thought. I saw that Janick plays along with the first half of his second solo in Icarus (the long notes). And I didn't notice it last time, but what a cool moment at the end when Icarus closes his wings and falls down from the sky.

This was a fantastic day. Earlier I met Janick and Steve (when they returned to the hotel in the afternoon), making it extra special. Up the fucking Irons!

edit:
Bruce made a good reference to the Polish people, when he talked about freedom. They know well how it is when you don't have it (Communism). And the Spitfire model used during Aces High was based on a real one from a Polish squadron. At the end of Iron Maiden Bruce rambled a lot of words and my wife thought that he made a compliment on the Cracow Market Square. "Fantastic Square (or Market Square)" or something. :)

edit 2:
Advice to myself, and also to others if interested: if you think "not again that song", put away that thought and focus on individual band activity. Movement, fun or musical stuff. E.g. in Iron Maiden I love to focus on Nicko's impressive drumming, just as in Beast. On top of that there is Adrian's solo that really brings joy to ears. Most songs have such cool moments. Yes I do understand the complaining on conservative setlists (I've done it as well in the past, and may keep showing dissatisfaction), but still there is enough to enjoy it when you're at it. Also, like e.g. Zare and Mid said: you can watch the audience. To see the joy or intense headbanging of someone else can also enrich the fun.

edit 3: according to Mrs Smith it was a stuffed fish!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BlwCPZRBzup/

Last edited:
If the guys said they wanted to do HCW again the road crew would have to manage like they did before, that's really all there is to it. (assuming they wanted to have the fans run out)
It was rumoured for 2 tours in a row now. I really believe that the band listens to the roadcrew if they have a legit complaint, eg. the massive production of both TBOS and LOTB tours, which needs all roadcrew on their toes at all times. Also, there is almost no place to let fans on/backstage really. Realisticaly, it would be probably behind Icarus, judging by the theme of the show and this is pretty dangerous with all of the flames and inflatable Icarus on stage, especially ones who don't know where the dager lies on stage.

Yes that was a highlight indeed. He went to less traveled paths. Great night of the tour for him. I hope to see Beast as well.

The Evil in Cracow. You don't see it all but check how Steve kicks the fish in the audience, and later Adrian plays his solo to the fish, honouring it. And he keeps it with him, protecting it from being kicked away again. Later it's hung up during the Hallowed intro.

Here you see some stuff that you do not see above. Another angle and H asks and gets the fish back:

Last edited:
I think the set until the encores won't change because of the production and the story of the show. HBTN and RTTH will stay, so the only possible candidate left to change is TETMD. So we will se 1 song change at max next year IMO. It will probably be The Clairvoyant, if they decide to swap TETMD.

I doubt that HCW will ever be played again, because of the roadcrew.

The Clairvoyant is somehow a bit underrated - it is a classic ! TETMD is in my top 10 Maiden songs. I'm ok with HCW to be played, but from SIT album the song that would fit the stage show and it is a hidden gem is SIASL - classic single from the 80's with solo that is beyond this universe....

It was great show. My girlfriend still is like :eek:

It was her first show ever, she loved classics and clansman. Was amazed by show that they did, music and theatrics. She disliked support very much.

And one thing I can say about show is - mind blowing.

Outstanding show yesterday.Easily the best show i've experienced in my whole life. I loved it more than the Paris gig , maybe because in Paris i was on my own, and yesterday i was with my girlfriend and my metalhead dad. Another important point is the sound, and it was just perfect yesterday.My dad saw Maiden for the first time in the last 30 years and he's still in shock. He didn't expect the band to be in such an amazing form after all these years.I would be happy to hear more post-reunion songs, but considering the fact we had the album tour last year, nothing to be whining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back