Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just arrived to Kraków. Can’t wait :D Sadly organisators didn’t respond for my questions regarding bringing water etc to the show, it’s hot like in hell here.

When I saw Maiden for the first two times in 2011 and 2013, the "obvious hits" category was far from being highlight of the show for me. Then again, I was pretty "hardcore" fan back then as well. What I found funny was that I enjoyed that stuff quite a bit more this year. Why? Perhaps because the performances sounded much more inspired. Bruce admitted that they were fallen into a groove with some of that stuff and stated that he wanted some fresh approach. Yeah, and it did work. Then again, I absolutely agree that replacing a song or two would be a great thing to do.

Fear of the Dark sounds much better than in most previous tours, but it's inclusion and the very good performance this year would have been much more triumph if they dropped it for Maiden England and possibly even for TBOS tour. That set had a great balance as it was, but replacing FOTD with Brave New World or Phantom of the Opera wouldn't have been a bad choice for that tour.

Overall, this year's set is a damn good one, but the inclusion of some overplayed classics would be even more enjoyable if they haven't been playing them to death so much. As stated, the performances have sounded very good this year, some better than in ages which makes these complaints lose some edge... I'd put it this way: the setlist and the performances this year are both outstanding. The problem is that some other sets from this decade, mainly TFF '11 and both Maiden England sets, were not executed quite as adventurously and the band missed some perfect opportunities to give one or two songs even a small rest that would have made their return in TBOS/TLOTB sets quite pleasant.

It's not about omitting classics entirely. Just one or two minor tweaks that would make their setlist approach much more interesting. Then again, I have to admit that the most recent tours, TBOS and the current one, have had pretty fresh approach to the set with a good balance between obvious and adventurous picks. Thanks Bruce!

It's not about omitting classics entirely. Just one or two minor tweaks that would make their setlist approach much more interesting. Then again, I have to admit that the most recent tours, TBOS and the current one, have had pretty fresh approach to the set with a good balance between obvious and adventurous picks. Thanks Bruce!

Let's consider this year's setlist. Highlighted in black are the songs that were not played on the previous tour. 12 out of 16 songs if you compare it to the 2017 set, and 11 out of 16 if you take into account the 2016 set.

Aces High
Where Eagles Dare
2 Minutes to Midnight
The Clansman

The Trooper
Revelations
For the Greater Good of God
The Wicker Man
Sign of the Cross
Flight of Icarus

Fear of the Dark
The Number of the Beast
Iron Maiden
-----------------------------------------
The Evil That Men Do
Hallowed Be Thy Name
Run to the Hills

Some of those songs have never played by the current line-up (Flight of Icarus), not played for a very long time (Sign of the Cross, The Clansman, Where Eagles Dare, For the Greater Good of God).

Sure, some songs are nearly always played, but I think some people complain about the setlists too harshly, perhaps without seeing the bigger picture.

Is the Legacy of the Beast 2018 the setlist that I would have chosen? No, it is not (I would have replaced The Clansman with something like The Longest Day, Brighter than a Thousand Suns or Paschendale).

Is it a great setlist? Oh yes it is.

But it will never happen.

Well, it has happened. :p 2005, 2006 and 2010 at least. But yeah, most likely not anymore.

I wish we would just accept that and be thankful that Maiden is still here and enjoy it for what it is (which is great) for as long as we are fortunate enough to do so.

I guess we all are, in the end. :) And I'm pretty confident that most people really appreciate their (Bruce's) current direction with the setlists; as I have said perhaps too many times in this thread, his recent setlist outputs have been pretty adventurous in Maiden standards and since you can't ever have everything, they're very well balanced between stuff that pleases casual fans and... well, us. :)

Sure, some songs are nearly always played, but I think some people complain about the setlists too harshly, perhaps without seeing the bigger picture.

Is it a great setlist? Oh yes it is.

I have to agree about this one. Perhaps I didn't clarify it too well, but one of my points was that even if I'd welcome some changes, I'm very happy with the current setlist approach. :) My main complaint was that a couple of sets predating TBOS tour were far from being as adventurous and inspired, even though I can definitely see why they ended up as they did.

Well, the last 2 tours setlist (TBOS and LOTB) is very good with surprises and a fresh approach by the Maiden standards. It was about time for Bruce to shake the things with his choices for the songs - I mean, he is the singer...

But maybe they will regret that over the years they did not change songs during a tour like Metallica and even nowadays, Priest do ! I know the production and all of the backdrops are huge part of the show, but this is a thing that can bring a fresh approach with the songs, for themselves and for the fans. For example, when they have 2 nights concert in the same city - that is the perfect time to change or add an extra song to the setlist, otherwise you see the exact same show 2 days in a row.

But it will never happen. Steve and Bruce play what they want to play because they know what works. I wish we would just accept that and be thankful that Maiden is still here and enjoy it for what it is (which is great) for as long as we are fortunate enough to do so.
I have seen Maiden live 11 times and hope to see them a few more before all is said and done. I've never been "bored" by anything they choose to play, they are my absolute favorite band.

Last edited:
Well, the last 2 tours setlist (TBOS and LOTB) is very good with surprises and a fresh approach by the Maiden standards. It was about time for Bruce to shake the things with his choices for the songs - I mean, he is the singer...

But maybe they will regret that over the years they did not change songs during a tour like Metallica and even nowadays, Priest do ! I know the production and all of the backdrops are huge part of the show, but this is a thing that can bring a fresh approach with the songs, for themselves and for the fans. For example, when they have 2 nights concert in the same city - that is the perfect time to change or add an extra song to the setlist, otherwise you see the exact same show 2 days in a row.
Not all fans go to two schows on one tour, I would be pissed if after show that I saw they changed setlist to something that I would kill to see. Now I at least know what to expect and can be happy instead of worrying that I’ll miss something better.

Not all fans go to two schows on one tour, I would be pissed if after show that I saw they changed setlist to something that I would kill to see. Now I at least know what to expect and can be happy instead of worrying that I’ll miss something better.

I just gave an example, and note that the example was for 2 nights in a row concerts :)

Hear! Hear!

I was think.... about which songs (aside from the obvious classics) can appeared on the next tour - the album tour. Though, some of them can be played on the 2019 leg of the current tour too !

- Heaven Can Wait (it was on LOTB tour poster and according to the rumour, the song was meant to be played on TBOS tour too.)
- The Clairvoyant (also on LOTB tour poster.)
- Brave New World (it was on the Chinese setlist and I think it was discussed to be played on TBOS tour along with Blood Brothers and The Wicker Man.)
- 22AA and SIASL (ay, come on, Nicko, we still believe in you, 'bout that one... :p)
- Powerslave (also was on LOTB tour poster.)

+ the obvious classics and 5 new songs and we pretty much have the setlist :lol: Naaah, with the current tour comes to a close, I already thinking for the next one like Bruce :D But the songs that I mentioned maybe have chances to appear, who knows ?

But I mostly want to hear live again: Prowler, Wasting Love and Out Of The Silent Planet

I was think.... about which songs (aside from the obvious classics) can appeared on the next tour - the album tour. Though, some of them can be played on the 2019 leg of the current tour too !

- Heaven Can Wait (it was on LOTB tour poster and according to the rumour, the song was meant to be played on TBOS tour too.)
- The Clairvoyant (also on LOTB tour poster.)
- Brave New World (it was on the Chinese setlist and I think it was discussed to be played on TBOS tour along with Blood Brothers and The Wicker Man.)
- 22AA and SIASL (ay, come on, Nicko, we still believe in you, 'bout that one... :p)
- Powerslave (also was on LOTB tour poster.)

I pretty much agree about all of them being plausible choices for the next album tour. I'd add Die With Your Boots On, The Prisoner, Phantom of the Opera and possibly Afraid to Shoot Strangers/Dance of Death to the list though. But I guess the theme/artwork of the next album and therefore the stage set will also affect the choices a little bit. If TFF and TBOS albums and tours switched places chronologically, I doubt that Powerslave would have been featured in the TFF setlist, even if Bruce did the whole setlist planning and all. I might be wrong though, but you get the point; if Bruce will be once again responsible for most of the setlist, it definitely sounds like something he would do to add a "surprising" song that fits the overall theatrics of the show too well to be not played. :)

I believe he'd be also willing to give Stranger in a Strange Land a chance. From what I've understood, he even likes that one and Wasted Years quite a lot, even though he isn't too fond of the album.

And next year... I don't think they'll change a bit. I guess something like switching TETMD for The Clairvoyant or Wasted Years sounds plausible, but not sure if it would fit the overall flow of the show. The Prisoner, on the other hand, would be a great addition; followed by Hallowed, and RTTH it would make a nice TNOTB blast to the end of the set, but perhaps the set would be too TNOTB-POM-heavy then - if there's such thing as being too heavy with that particular material. :D

Last edited:
I pretty much agree about all of them being plausible choices for the next album tour. I'd add Die With Your Boots On, The Prisoner, Phantom of the Opera and possibly Afraid to Shoot Strangers/Dance of Death to the list though. But I guess the theme/artwork of the next album and therefore the stage set will also affect the choices a little bit. If TFF and TBOS albums and tours switched places chronologically, I doubt that Powerslave would have been featured in the TFF setlist, even if Bruce did the whole setlist planning and all. I might be wrong though, but you get the point; if Bruce will be once again responsible for most of the setlist, it definitely sounds like something he would do to add a "surprising" song that fits the overall theatrics of the show too well to be not played. :)

I believe he'd be also willing to give Stranger in a Strange Land a chance. From what I've understood, he even likes that one and Wasted Years quite a lot, even though he isn't too fond of the album.

Yeah, I also thought about Dance Of Death and DWYBO is a plausible candidate. Bruce talked about Sun And Steel in his book.... maybe ATG :blush:

I wonder if they can top the stage production for the next tour, will they keep all of the theatrics of the current tour - this is going to be a hard task !

And next year... I don't think they'll change a bit. I guess something like switching TETMD for The Clairvoyant or Wasted Years sounds plausible, but not sure if it would fit the overall flow of the show. The Prisoner, on the other hand, would be a great addition; followed by Hallowed, and RTTH it would make a nice TNOTB blast to the end of the song, but perhaps the set would be too TNOTB-POM-heavy then - if there's such thing as being too heavy with that particular material. :D

I expect 1 or 2 changes. More gems and rare songs please ! :)

I wonder if they can top the stage production for the next tour, will they keep all of the theatrics of the current tour - this is going to be a hard task !

Probably not, but I guess they might take a little bit different approach to the next show; while the current one is a spectacular journey through different places and themes, the next one will probably be a bit more contained. That doesn't mean it's not spectacular though, and they might keep the "changing stage set" element around to a some extent; just to give you and idea, imagine a 7th Son themed stage where the icy landscape changes a little bit thorough the set but the overall theme stays as same. In fact, I believe the next show might indeed try to be bit more etheric and rely on... um, natural elements rather than physical buildings and spaces. It wouldn't hurt to make the actual stage dressing a bit more elaborate; the current one is a beautiful one and there are tons of additional effects and props, but the church drapes on their own are pretty basic, a bit like Maiden England setup, where TBOS stage drapes had more structural elements on it.

But yeah, we shall see what kind of a visual theme there will be with the next album. I don't believe they're gonna ditch theatrics too much, but I guess they won't be quite as much all over the place as it is with the current show. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back