Legacy of the Beast Tour 2018 - CONTAINS SPOILERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a bit off topic question : why did Maiden cancel the Prague 25.08.1988 date? It could be important piece of info to finally figure out why Maiden didn't visit Yugoslavia on Seventh Tour. I never though of it until the 2008 SBiT show, the date of which roughly corresponds to only visit of my US-based cousin. He told me that he was hyped to see Maiden on the JNA stadium (FC Partizan Belgrade) in 1988 but unfortunately "it got cancelled due to starting of the shit in Yu". I put the thought aside for some time, then it came to me that nothing exactly was happening in the Yugoslavia mid 1988, e.g. nothing new occurred since 84 or 86 that would make Yu a risky venture. Shit started several months after that, but even after 3 years of non-stop escalation, Priest and Pantera had an arena show in Zagreb 1991. Therefore I would deem his story a bit of an old memory and disregard the "risky country to play in" reasoning. There's a 7 day gap between Donington 1988 and first show in Germany in which Prague should've occurred and possibly the 4th 1980s Belgrade date. The cancellation reason for Prague could be related.

Here's a bit off topic question : why did Maiden cancel the Prague 25.08.1988 date? It could be important piece of info to finally figure out why Maiden didn't visit Yugoslavia on Seventh Tour. I never though of it until the 2008 SBiT show, the date of which roughly corresponds to only visit of my US-based cousin. He told me that he was hyped to see Maiden on the JNA stadium (FC Partizan Belgrade) in 1988 but unfortunately "it got cancelled due to starting of the shit in Yu". I put the thought aside for some time, then it came to me that nothing exactly was happening in the Yugoslavia mid 1988, e.g. nothing new occurred since 84 or 86 that would make Yu a risky venture. Shit started several months after that, but even after 3 years of non-stop escalation, Priest and Pantera had an arena show in Zagreb 1991. Therefore I would deem his story a bit of an old memory and disregard the "risky country to play in" reasoning. There's a 7 day gap between Donington 1988 and first show in Germany in which Prague should've occurred and possibly the 4th 1980s Belgrade date. The cancellation reason for Prague could be related.

There's some info here but sadly no reason for the cancellation just confirmation that it was cancelled.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080701155554/http://maidenshows.ryasrealm.com/masterlist.htm#1988

According to my informant, Maiden played in Studentski Grad in '98.

According to the Commentary, the Prague gig was cancelled by the authorities, but no details. The only Communist country hit on that tour was Hungary. There might be an innocent reason for them missing out on Yugoslavia, though. Most of the European tour was in the Monsters of Rock framework, so maybe they just didn't manage to fit it in the schedule. The Euro tour was small compared to the preceding years, so I wouldn't think it too odd that they missed out on Yugoslavia. They skipped Poland too, after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back