Legacy Of The Beast Post-Pandemic Leg

Status
Not open for further replies.
giphy.gif

Close to 2 hours is enough for them and for me. Thank God they're not like Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, GNR or Led Zeppelin. That's pretty boring. A Maiden show is related with energy. They transmit to the fans the energy that they deploying on stage. They're able to recharge your batteries in a few minutes.

Yay, this week I went to my first concert this year! I begin to believe that everything will take place.

And last night I really dreamed about Iron Maiden playing Senjutsu here. It was awesome, haha.
View attachment 19739
But something always goes wrong when you least expect it... Maybe I should stop thinking about it.

I read again an old interview in the German magazine “Classic Rock” about the Legacy tour.
My translation:
“I never would have predicted that I would be playing guitar under a Spitfire”, beams Dave Murray as the band comes off stage, ready to do it again in a few days. We believe you, Dave. How can you ever top that? “There's always something you can do“, Steve interjects, unflinching as ever. “When you get to my age, there's always a bucket list. There are personal things and things with the band on it.”

More from this interview, my translation:

"I think Bruce made a very good selection," Dave comments. "It highlights different phases and we get to explore a lot of dynamics in these songs, which translates to the best production we've ever presented. I just love being performing "Flight of Icarus" again. It's short and crisp, and the effects that accompany it are pretty incredible."
"Man, I can't even remember the last time I played "Flight of Icarus"," Adrian adds, "but it's awesome. It's a good live song, so it's great to have that on. And then there's "Clansman" with "Freedoooom" and all that. "Sign of the Cross"..." "And "For The Greater Good Of God," that's so nice to play," Dave interjects. "I love playing every single one of those pieces. Some of them are challenging, and some you can just bang out, but I love them all."
It's nice to see that Maiden are as excited to play these songs as the fans are to hear them. And the fact that Bruce wanted to include two Blaze-era numbers at once, which alone take up a considerable 20 minutes, is a good reminder that ego can be left out of the equation when it's done in service of putting on the best show possible.
"People talk about the Blaze era and Bruce singing that stuff, but when we play anything from the first two albums, where Bruce wasn't in the band either, it's not an issue, and I don't see any difference there" comments Steve, a bit annoyed that some people consider the Blaze albums as curiosities in the Maiden catalog.

Iron Maiden should pull a Grateful Dead for the Legacy Of The Beast tour and play a 3 and a half hour long set.
If you look at Metallica's long sets for example, a good 20 odd minutes of those sets are padded out with bass/guitar solos, drum solos, James talking shit etc.

Now if Maiden wanted to bring back Nicko's drum solo or that instrumental track Dave and Adrian used to do, along with a Steve bass solo then I'd be up for it as it'd give me time to go to the bar without missing anything.

View attachment 19865

Close to 2 hours is enough for them and for me. Thank God they're not like Grateful Dead, Bruce Springsteen, Metallica, GNR or Led Zeppelin. That's pretty boring. A Maiden show is related with energy. They transmit to the fans the energy that they deploying on stage. They're able to recharge your batteries in a few minutes.

I disagree. I remember seeing Bon Jovi play a 3 hours plus set in Munich in 2006 and I enjoyed every minute of it. And the energy was at a very high level throughout the gig, without any solos and that crap. Of course nowadays 3 hours of Bon Jovi would be torture and I suspect the same can be said for Maiden. Both the band and the fans. Maiden could easily pull a Grateful dead 15-20 years ago, not now. And remember we are talking about a band that doesn't even change the songs in the setlist each night.

If you look at Metallica's long sets for example, a good 20 odd minutes of those sets are padded out with bass/guitar solos, drum solos, James talking shit etc.
Depends, honestly. The super long Black Album era arena sets were three hours and did have extensive bass, guitar and drum solo segments but even after that they still kept playing well over two hour shows with just a short few minutes of bass and guitar doodles thrown in between songs. I think the real issue was simply that Metallica's songs are long on average and the 30 minutes of solos and dicking around was enough to take a 20 song set from two-and-a-half hours to a full "evening with Metallica" length.

I'd love for them to have longer sets and be able to fit in some of the less frequently played songs, but Bruce sometimes struggles vocally as it is, Nicko has arthritis in his wrists. A 3 hour set would be disastrous for the band imo.
Yeah, maybe 15-20 years ago. No way now…

I'd love for them to have longer sets and be able to fit in some of the less frequently played songs, but Bruce sometimes struggles vocally as it is, Nicko has arthritis in his wrists. A 3 hour set would be disastrous for the band imo.
Damn. I didn't know that Nicko had arthritis in his wrists.

I was mostly joking when I recommended three and a half hour long setlists but if Maiden could turn Wrathchild into a 30 minute plus jam I wouldn't say no.:D

I'm going to attend both Rock in Rio and São Paulo. For the first time, I'll see them twice on the same tour. In your opinion, is there any chance they'll play more Senjutsu songs apart from TWOTW, Senjutsu, and Stratego?

I'm going to attend both Rock in Rio and São Paulo. For the first time, I'll see them twice on the same tour. In your opinion, is there any chance they'll play more Senjutsu songs apart from TWOTW, Senjutsu, and Stratego?
If Rock in Rio were the last show on the tour I'd say 'maybe', but whatever we see comes out of Zagreb in about a month is what you'll get for your shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back