Language topic

I have an oddly specific question for all Scandinavian speakers. @Dr. Eddies Wingman @SixesAlltheway and anyone else, including @LooseCannon 's girlfriend.

In many European languages, we use similar words for slippers: Pantoffel (German), pantoufle (French), pantofla (Greek), pantofi (Bulgarian), pantofola (Italian), etc. However, it seems that all Nordic languages have dropped the first syllable - toffel (Swedish), tøffel (Danish and Norwegian), tohveli (Finnish). So my question is WHY? It can't be simply because it's shorter, that would be extremely disappointing. WHY?

It's tuhvel (plural: tuhvlid) in Estonian but sounds kind of archaic. Suss/sussid is more used.

Thought you may be interested in this comparison (also @Perun of course)

In this video I compare two closely related languages: German and Dutch, including vocabulary, pronunciation, and grammar.

And:
This video is all about the Dutch language (or Nederlands) as it's known in Dutch. Learn all about the history and features of Dutch.

This American has many more vids like this.

Here's the source:

You will see that they don't take countries where English is the first language into account. They're only rating people who took their EF English Proficiency test, which is targeted at non-native speakers. So no, they're not saying the Dutch speak better English than the Brits or Americans.

You will see that they don't take countries where English is the first language into account.
Despite their 11 official languages, South Africa is an impostor here.
Not surprised, actually, considering how they won the Rugby World Cup.

Could alternatively use one of the languages that don't have articles at all, there are many of them.

Back