Language topic

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Forostar, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

We don't have a tasteful rule, do we?

2. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

3. Dr. Eddies Wingman

Dr. Eddies Wingman Brighter than thousand_suns

4. Freeyyaa

Freeyyaa mordebo et stringebo

I wonder if a purebred Englishman can study a foreign language, even Teutonic one, or the structure of his native language prevents him from it.

5. million_suns

million_suns Invader

The lanuage structure of my people is bred pure like a high born feline animal, but the Chinese has many borrowings.

Onhell and Night Prowler like this.
  6. Perun

Perun Stepping out bravely Staff Member

Native speakers, can the term "beast of burden" be used in contemporary English in a literal sense, i.e. referring to a mule or an ox, or is it too archaic?

7. In the right context it would be totally acceptable; not archaic at all.

Onhell and Perun like this.
  8. Black Bart

Black Bart Ancient Mariner

Neither Collins nor Merriam-Webster lists this phrase as 'archaic'.

9. Perun

What about an academic context?

That's nice, but I'm really more interested in the actual perception, not the dictionary definition.

10. Brigantium

Brigantium Grim Reaper Staff Member

It's a bit flowery, tends to get associated with biblical stuff, rightly or wrongly. If you're going for a literary style, though, it's okay. It probably wouldn't work in very 'straight' writing like a sociology essay.

Perun likes this.
  11. LooseCannon

LooseCannon Yorktown-class aircraft carrier Staff Member

I'd use it, especially if making a metaphor, "He was worked like a beast of burden". If I was referring to actual horses and such, I might avoid the term.

Brigantium likes this.
  12. Depends what academic context you're talking about. Scientific context? No. Paper about languge? Sounds fine.

13. Perun

It is a paper about etymology, and I'm sort of using it as a translation.

14. That's just that kind of academic context I'd expect to find this type of language/phrase. Do it.

Onhell and Perun like this.
  15. Ariana

Ariana Black-and-white leopard

I have an oddly specific question for all Scandinavian speakers. @Dr. Eddies Wingman @SixesAlltheway and anyone else, including @LooseCannon 's girlfriend.

In many European languages, we use similar words for slippers: Pantoffel (German), pantoufle (French), pantofla (Greek), pantofi (Bulgarian), pantofola (Italian), etc. However, it seems that all Nordic languages have dropped the first syllable - toffel (Swedish), tøffel (Danish and Norwegian), tohveli (Finnish). So my question is WHY? It can't be simply because it's shorter, that would be extremely disappointing. WHY?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  16. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Ancient Mariner

Borrowed from the short form of pantoffel and pantoufle: tüffel. It says when I look it up.

Ariana likes this.
  17. Ariana

:( So it's just economy of language. I was hoping for a more intriguing reason why you dropped the pan-. Thanks though!

18. Black Wizard

Black Wizard Cereal Litigator

In Scotland we call them "baffies".

Brigantium likes this.
  19. The Flash

The Flash Dennis Wilcock did 9/11

They're called "terlik" here, which means sweater.

Sweater, as in pullover, is "kazak" or "süveter" btw.

20. Ariana

We use terlik for these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]