Language topic

I passed my Ancient Greek exam with the equivalent of aan A-/B+.

spartan2.jpg

I woke up to a nice call today.

Me: «Ja»
Caller: «Алло!»
Me: «Eesti keel»
Caller: Здравствуйте, как дела?»
Me: «Эстонский»
Caller: «Эстонский что?»
Me: «Я не понимаю по-русски»
Caller: «Вы понимаете.»

I'm guessing the translation is...

Saap: Yes
Caller: Hello
Saap: Estonian please
Caller: .............
Saap: Estonian
Caller: Estonian ....?
Saap: I don't speak Russian
Caller: ..... Russian

Please correct me and fill in the blanks Saap. :p

I'm guessing the translation is...

Caller: .............
Caller: Estonian ....?
Saap: I don't speak Russian
Caller: ..... Russian

Please correct me and fill in the blanks Saap. :p

Caller: Hello, how are you?
Caller: Estonian what?
Saap: I don't understand Russian
Caller: You do understand

@Perun - can you explain this? It confuses me that the diphtong oe is found in German names as your language has the vowel ö which I believed to be the same.

(I'm used to seeing oe used mainly as a replacement for ø (Norwegian, Danish) or ö (German, Swedish, Finnish etc.) in English texts (or other languages which do not have these letters)

Is there actually a distinction between oe and ä in German, so that Goethe would be different from Göthe?

@Perun - can you explain this? It confuses me that the diphtong oe is found in German names as your language has the vowel ö which I believed to be the same.

(I'm used to seeing oe used mainly as a replacement for ø (Norwegian, Danish) or ö (German, Swedish, Finnish etc.) in English texts (or other languages which do not have these letters)

Is there actually a distinction between oe and ä in German, so that Goethe would be different from Göthe?
Apologies for trespassing.
"On the rare maps of the Ramtops that existed, it was spelled Überwald. But Lancre people had never got the hang of accents and certainly didn't agree with trying to balance two dots on another letter, where they'd only roll off and cause unnecessary punctuation."

Apologies for trespassing.
"On the rare maps of the Ramtops that existed, it was spelled Überwald. But Lancre people had never got the hang of accents and certainly didn't agree with trying to balance two dots on another letter, where they'd only roll off and cause unnecessary punctuation."
Witches Abroad?

It's just an archaic spelling of the ö umlaut. I think you only find it in proper names. The reason is that we didn't have binding spelling conventions until the late 19th century and some people preferred to use the more "dignified" latinised spelling. That's why you find both Schröder and Schroeder, Götz and Goetz, etc, although the oe variant is relatively rare. So Goethe is pronounced as Göthe. You even find it written that way in some writings from the 19th century, e.g. Nietzsche used to spell the name that way. The same is true with ä/ae and ü/ue, although I can think of at least one case in the latter where it's a true diphthong.

Back