JUDAS PRIEST ALBUM RANKING GAME: FINAL ENTRY AND RECAP

I clarify. I don't think Metallica's Black album is the best Metallica album. I used it as a point of reference of accessibility and catchiness. British Steel is a golden mean album.
Then I understand my friend. :)
By the way: I prefer The Black Album over British Steel by far.

The thing that stood out to me about Firepower (and Invincible Shield) was the influence of power metal coming full circle with Priest. Priest’s 1980-1990 sound had a huge influence on power metal through the 90s and early 2000s, but Priest integrated some of these newer derivative sounds back into their own style for their last two albums, and they’re all the better for it. You hear the glory of Priest in those classic 90s-00s Gamma Ray albums, but you also hear the glory of Gamma Ray in these last two Priest albums. More, please!

I’m not going to damn Firepower with faint praise because I like it a lot.
But I can see what @Mosh is getting it.

One can make a case that it shows bands like Primal Fear what a really good Judas Priest tribute band playing original tunes in the 2000s should sound like.

Yeah, I agree that the album theming might not be as strong as some of their older stuff, but that doesn't stop Firepower from being an album I whip out fairly regularly, sit down, and enjoy stem to stern. The top might not be where I'd like, but the floor is so, so high that it's a consistent album experience I love.

British Steel is a perfect amalgam of accessible metal. It's Judas Priest's Black Album in a way.
True, but Firepower is more ''metal''.
My least favorite of the reunion, Shield destroys it.
Firepower may not be able to beat the big classics of the band or the albums with a (unique) character, but I rank the albums as a whole piece, not just because of a few songs. The ''lesser'' songs on it are better than the ''lesser'' songs on some of the classic albums, easily for me.
And the new album more or less rehearses the songs ideas from it for the most part. Because of all their parts, I think only the title track and Panic Attack can be compared with the highs of Firepower. And to give another example: a song like Serpent And The King is better than 2/3 songs from Firepower, but for me it will never be as interesting as those songs. I think I understand why some fans might not like it that much or find it uneven in terms of some songs (like a lot of Priest albums btw), but I don't think the last 2 albums are different. The new album definitely feels even more like a return to the band's classic style as much as possible now.
The thing that stood out to me about Firepower (and Invincible Shield) was the influence of power metal coming full circle with Priest.
This.

Last edited:
The consistency of Firepower absolutely cannot be overstated. Like 'em or love 'em, Judas Priest are not a band that I consider consistent. Their quality of songwriting varies wildly from track to track and album to album...but Firepower is good all the way through.

Sure, there are songs that aren't as good as others, but there is not a single bad song on the record and that goes a long way.

The best songs here are absolute classics in my book: the title track, Lightning Strike, Rising from Ruins, Traitors Gate, and No Surrender. There's a ton of great songs, too, in the realm of 8-9/10's like Evil Never Dies, Necromancer, Spectre, and Lone Wolf.

There only two flaws on Firepower: the worst track, Flame Thrower, and track bloat. As much as I love this album, it would be neck and neck with Painkiller if they cut 2-3 songs (obviously Flame Thrower, then take your pick from Children of the Sun/Never the Heroes/Sea of Red - all of which are still better than a lot of songs on some of their more "classic" albums).

The shininess of this album wore off for me a little bit this time, but not much. It dropped from an 8.8/10 to an 8.5/10 and is currently my number 1 Priest album that we've covered so far in this game.

Yeah, I agree that the album theming might not be as strong as some of their older stuff, but that doesn't stop Firepower from being an album I whip out fairly regularly, sit down, and enjoy stem to stern. The top might not be where I'd like, but the floor is so, so high that it's a consistent album experience I love.
Absolutely. There is no moment on this album where I groan, laugh, or feel like I need to skip a track. The same cannot be said of most Judas Priest albums.

Firepower may not be able to beat the big classics of the band or the albums with a (unique) character, but I rank the albums as a whole piece, not just because of a few songs.
Hence why I find Firepower (and Painkiller) to be so strong. They are remarkably good all the way through. I think most metal fans tend to overlook the real lows that come along with the extreme highs on some of the "classic" albums.

"Guys, what does a modern audience expect Judas Priest to sound like?"

I posted somewhere earlier in the thread about Priest being so absolutely purposeful in the studio. Firepower is the purposeful answer to the above question.

I don't know if there is an original idea anywhere on this album. I don't know if there is a song that is an unquestioned classic. But that's pretty much where my criticism ends.

Agree wholeheartedly with those upthread about the incredible depth on this album. The songs may follow well-trod territory, but they are so strong, loaded with hooks without being overtly commercial. You've got an empowered and inspired Richie channeling his idols over top a well-practiced rhythm section and Rob freaking Halford writing and singing the melodies

The twin opener of Firepower/Lightning Strikes is a dead-on repeat of Dragonaut/Redeemer from the previous album, but that's OK, because they're better. Traitor's Gate is a Sentinel-inspired epic, Rising from Ruins an inspiration. Flame Thrower might belong grouped with the middling tracks on Point of Entry, but if that is the low point of 14 songs, you're doing something right.

The album is well-paced, sharply produced, crackling with energy and a ton of fun.

I had it at #8 on my initial list, but the re-listen has pushed it past Sad Wings into 7th, just behind Invincible Shield, which is still basking in that new album shine. Excellent, excellent stuff.

Firepower is the purposeful answer to the above question.
Agreed.
I don't know if there is an original idea anywhere on this album. I don't know if there is a song that is an unquestioned classic.
Sea Of Red & Rising From Ruins. The trick is the songs to feel fresh, and the album is full of such songs.
Agree wholeheartedly with those upthread about the incredible depth on this album. The songs may follow well-trod territory, but they are so strong, loaded with hooks without being overtly commercial. You've got an empowered and inspired Richie channeling his idols over top a well-practiced rhythm section and Rob freaking Halford writing and singing the melodies
This.
The twin opener of Firepower/Lightning Strikes is a dead-on repeat of Dragonaut/Redeemer from the previous album, but that's OK, because they're better.
Firepower/Lightning are even catchier and more lively, but I like all of them. Both albums have a strong set of 4 opening songs.
Flame Thrower might belong grouped with the middling tracks on Point of Entry, but if that is the low point of 14 songs, you're doing something right.
The fact that if we remove a few songs from it, the album will still be great (or stronger) speaks about the quality of the material, in this case.

1:
2:
3: Screaming for Vengeance
4: Firepower
5: British Steel
6: Stained Class
7: Sad Wings of Destiny
8: Angel of Retribution
9: Sin After Sin
10: Killing Machine
11: Turbo
12: Nostradamus
13: Redeemer of Souls
14: Ram It Down
15: Point of Entry
16: Jugulator
17: Demolition
18: Rocka Rolla

Highest Score: 18 (@Mosh)
Lowest Score: 6 (@KidInTheDark666)

We begin the top three with a bit of a shocker. Falling below Defenders of the Faith is a bit of a surprise as Screaming For Vengeance is in general a better known album, although I guess it is a bit more on the poppy side. For my tastes, SFV does everything British Steel was trying to do but better. You have some big pop numbers (You've Got Another Thing Coming, Take These Chains) but you also have the band at its heaviest with songs like Electric Eye and the title track. You even have songs like Devil's Child which retain the band's groovy 70s identity quite a bit. Where British Steel feels like a full swing to pop, SFV feels more like a holistic effort that touches on every facet of the band. I struggled with my top three a bit, but I went with this one in #1 because I feel that it is the most complete and perfectly realized Judas Priest album. It's the only album that I can fully praise without an asterisk. To say the metal songs are genre defining is an understatement. It is hard to find a more appropriate depiction of what Metal is than The Hellion/Electric Eye. I could do without hearing You've Got Another Thing Coming again, but it's a huge song for a reason. On the lesser known side of things, I think Take These Chains works surprisingly well. Even at its most commercial moments, Vengeance sounds like authentic Priest. Of the remaining albums, I think SFV works slightly better for being the most well rounded. Painkiller and Defenders both do heavier better, and we'll get to them later, but they each have some weaknesses. That said, Defenders came very very close to my #1 by merits of the first side alone. But again, we'll get to those later.

In general, most folks seemed to place this album #2 or #3, although there are a couple outlier lower scores in there. I wouldn't be surprised if this album lost some points for leaning a little too heavily into the commercial, although I would advise those who hold that belief to listen to Riding On the Wind, Screaming for Vengeance, and Devil's Child again.

I was expecting this one to be higher, but that’s mostly cuz Knick ranks DOTF criminally low. SfV is just a thrilling ride from beginning to end. The community top 4 is also my top 4 so that’s really cool.

Screaming For Vengeance - a big classic for the band. The Top 3 albums are pure Priest and well deserved. My top four albums are the same.
The album is like TNOTB for the band. I think with it they perfected their style. ''Simpler'' but heavy metal. There's really everything - fast metal, classic metal, hard rock, mid-tempo anthems, slower songs, melodic approaches. The band's iconic dual guitar battle was also more prominent.
Their most successful album I believe and an essential metal album. What a big improvement form the previous album, although you can feel the POE vibe in some songs or parts.

I have always liked the production a lot. Especially the sound of the guitars and solos. It has a rougher sound but at the same time a bit of a ''futuristic'' flavor to go along with the cover. Great.
Rob's vocals are some of his best on any album. As for Glenn and KK, the album is full of great riffs and solos: Eye, Wind, Bloodstone (riff), Another Thing, Fever, Child.

The album opens with one of the best Intros in metal - and Electric Eye is a great and classic metal opener. This riff is simply iconic. It makes a great combo with Riding On The Wind - another fast classic metal rocker, I'm a big of the verses and the chorus. And ofc we have to mention the big classic from the album (plus Electic Eye) - You've Got Another Thing Comin'. I think this is the type of song the band wanted to write for their previous 2 albums. Catchy metal single and the groove is captivating.
The other gems: the title track is classic Priest with its vocals, solos, tempo and harmony(!). Rob's screams are just sublime. Devil's Child is a classic anthemic Priest rocker with a 70's vibe and is very catchy and strong. Fever is a ''hidden song'' from the album, but it has a great melodic intro, calm part and guitar licks overall. It could have been the closer. Bloodstone is melodic and so typical for the album (I never liked the chorus) and (Take These) Chains is a nice and needed change of pace and groove. The song has a nice commercially-melodic chorus and vocals.

Pain And Pleasure is a total filler for me and one of my least favorite songs of the band.

Such albums like this one (and the next one), they're like perfect metal albums from the 80's and will never get old. I love to listen to them from start to finish, and that's a big indicator of their strength.

Screaming For Vengeance is everything everyone has said before. Is it a perfect Judas Priest album? No. Does a perfect Judas Priest album exist? I'm not actually sure anymore...

The positives here are many: it opens with one of the great opening tracks ever, it contains a massive hit single that maintains its quality after a million listens, it has two ripping, falsetto-laden metal tracks that shred, and it's got some of Priest's best "boom-bap" material.

The negatives? Eh...Pain and Pleasure is the definition of mid. Not terrible, but certainly not good. Ending with two mid-tempo tracks is a bit of weird choice, too.

Overall I think this album plays it safe while still pushing some boundaries (namely Halford expanding his shrieking high range). It's not as great as I remember, dropping .3 for me to land at 8.4/10. Still in the top 3, probably, but just below Firepower.

Back