ISIS Thread

The fuckers have killed tens of people in a concert hall ; they are stlill holdings hostages. And we are now officialy on emergency state.

Already posted a message of condolences to Parisians and all French people on the 100k thread but my condolences. We went through the same thing last month here in Ankara. Stay strong.

At least 43 people are confirmed dead in multiple attacks across Paris, firefighters said early Saturday. CNN affiliate BFMTV reported earlier as many as 60 people had been killed.

Horrible

At least 43 people are confirmed dead in multiple attacks across Paris, firefighters said early Saturday. CNN affiliate BFMTV reported earlier as many as 60 people had been killed.

Horrible

Old news. At least 100 more people have been killed in a concert venue. Death toll seems to be around 150+ at the moment.

One of my favorite bands ... really shitty

According to the Associated Press, a police official said 11 people were killed in a Paris restaurant in the 10th arrondissement, and about more than a dozen killed in the Bataclan theatre, where a hostage-taking is under way.

The California rock group Eagles of Death Metal were playing at the time. One or possibly two people came into the concert hall and began shooting, BFM TV reports. Witnesses said the gun at the Paris concert hall shouted “Allahu akbar” (God is great) and fired into the crowd, multiple media outlets reported.

Pierre Marie Bertin, 36, was at the Bataclan when the shooting started. "At first I didn’t understand what was going on — there were so many gunshots and debris flying at my head," he said. "You get down. You find yourself between dead bodies."

He said there were as many as four gunmen. At one point, he said, some male hostages "went onto the balcony and tried to negotiate for the life of their wives with one of the guys. It was sickening."

635830306375808038-EPA-FRANCE-SHOOTING.jpg

A police officer stands guard on a street near the scene of a shooting in Paris, France. Yoan Valat, European Pressphoto Agency

UPDATED: We know that at least eight militants, all wearing suicide vests, wrought unprecedented violence in six locations across Paris. A man arrested in Germany last week has been linked to the attacks.

• JUST IN - two of the terrorists have been indentified, Europe1 reported. One held a Syrian passport, the other held a French one.
  • A woman may also have been one of the attackers, Europe 1 reported, citing a couple who saw the woman among the attackers at the Bataclan concert hall.
  • All eight are dead – seven by their own suicide bombs - although French prosecutors have warned their accomplices could be on the run.
  • Investigators are working on the assumption that the terrorists were divided into two groups: the first near the Stade de France and the second in Paris’ 10th and 11th districts.
  • The police forensic team is carrying out DNA tests on the bodies of the suicide bombers, which were "mostly pulverized", according to a police source who spoke to BFMTV. Initial tests have so far failed to reveal anything about their identity. The results should be available in two days, BFMTV reported.
  • A Syrian passport has been found on one of the attackers' bodies, le Parisien reported on Saturday lunchtime.
  • A man arrested in southern Germany last week, who had weapons including machine guns and explosives in his car, has been linked to the attacks, German media reported on Saturday. Read more via The Local Germany here.
  • A Volkswagen Polo found near the Bataclan is being tested for fingerprints. It may have been used by the terrorists.
  • Four of the assailants were killed when police stormed into the Bataclan concert hall, a popular venue in eastern Paris which was packed with 1,500 people attending a gig by the US band Eagles of Death Metal.
  • Three died after activating their suicide vests while the fourth was shot dead – but not before they had killed at least 82 people.
  • One of the attackers could be heard saying, “It’s the fault of Hollande, it’s the fault of your president, he should not have intervened in Syria.”
  • Another witness at the Bataclan told The Local that the three attackers “sounded Arab-French”, but this has not been confirmed. The witness also heard the assailants shouting “This is for Syria, this is for Iraq”.
  • A judicial source said another attacker died when he detonated his suicide vest on Boulevard Voltaire, near the Bataclan.
  • Three other assailants are believed to have died in suicide bombs outside the Stade de France on rue Jules-Rimet.

I think there are also internal factors. Compared to the countries around France, this nation has mostly only used repression when dealing with extremism. There are three generations of not integrated immigrants in the banlieues, who feel they don't have a chance in society.

I am not saying that e.g. the Netherlands or Germany are not in danger, but they did a bit more about looking into these people. France boils over from dissatisfaction.

What do they have against France? I heard one of the shooters yelled out something about the French president.

The French have been leading air strikes against Syria and Iraq, long before the other western nations involved themselves on a larger scale.

What do they have against France? I heard one of the shooters yelled out something about the French president.
They explicitely referred to the bombings in which France is taking part against ISIS.
I think there are also internal factors. Compared to the countries around France, this nation has mostly only used repression when dealing with extremism. There are three generations of not integrated immigrants in the banlieues, who feel they don't have a chance in society.
I am not saying that e.g. the Netherlands or Germany are not in danger, but they did a bit more about looking into these people. France boils over from dissatisfaction.
France has fuelled extremism. A few years back, the islamic hijab and all the different kinds of veils where a rare phenomenon. Pres. Sarkozy, willing to please the extreme-right, launched a massive debate on this supposed problem, instead of addressing it intelligently, forged repressive laws, and now, those veils are viewed by a significant part of the muslims as an element of identity. Those people feel disciminated against, and in most cases, they are. In France, "muslim" is now one of the terms used to label the non-white people. Our political leaders are mostly irresponsible.

I'm still in a bit of shock and sadness over all of this. I'm quite scared as to what is planned for here in the US as well. I know it's been 14 years since 911, but the terrorists sure do threaten us a lot and it could be taking this long because they might be planning something really super huge. All anyone here can do is hope and pray that they're not in the wrong place at the wrong time. SIGH :(

Not surprising at all

PARIS — At least one of the assailants in France’s worst-ever terrorist attack was a Syrian who entered Europe through Greece with a group of migrants, French and Greek authorities said Saturday, deepening fears that other terrorists have infiltrated the European Union this way.

I don't think they're throwing anyone out at the moment, with the borders sealed.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole sequence of events from Desert Shield all the way forward is going to be called WWIII by history. We've heard of things like a Hundred Years War before, maybe this is one ongoing now.

I was talking more on a subjective level, I don't actually think they'll start kicking people out, there will just be an increased demand for it.

I don't think they're throwing anyone out at the moment, with the borders sealed.

I'm starting to wonder if the whole sequence of events from Desert Shield all the way forward is going to be called WWIII by history. We've heard of things like a Hundred Years War before, maybe this is one ongoing now.
This could all be the beginning to WWIII with America being next. We've had many terrorist threats as well as countries threatening to fire nukes at us. Again, all we can do is keep hoping and praying that nothing too horrible happens in our lifetime or doesn't have a super direct impact.

Back