Is Iron Maiden the biggest metal band in the world right now?

Be interesting to see who the best selling 'metal' artist is of all time

According to RIAA certified unites in the USA Metallica is the best-selling metal act by a country mile(63 Platinums), followed by Ozzy Osbourne (27 Platinums) and Black Sabbath (15 Platinums). Iron Maiden have only 7 Platinums in total.

RIAA certified units for the 80's Maiden albums:
Iron Maiden - not certified
Killers - Gold
Number of the Beast - Platinum
Piece of Mind - Platinum
Powerslave - Platinum
Live After Death - Platinum
Somewhere in Time - Platinum
Seventh Son - Gold

RIAA certified units for the 80's Metallica albums:
Kill'em All - 3X Platinum
Ride the Ligthning - 6X Platinum
Master of Puppets - 6X Platinum
And Justice for All - 8X Platinum

When it comes to the albums sales in America for their 80's albums alone Metallica beat Maiden by a very long shot.
None of post-No Prayer for the Dying Maiden albums went even Gold in the States.

According to RIAA certified unites in the USA Metallica is the best-selling metal act by a country mile(63 Platinums), followed by Ozzy Osbourne (27 Platinums) and Black Sabbath (15 Platinums). Iron Maiden have only 7 Platinums in total.

RIAA certified units for the 80's Maiden albums:
Iron Maiden - not certified
Killers - Gold
Number of the Beast - Platinum
Piece of Mind - Platinum
Powerslave - Platinum
Live After Death - Platinum
Somewhere in Time - Platinum
Seventh Son - Gold

RIAA certified units for the 80's Metallica albums:
Kill'em All - 3X Platinum
Ride the Ligthning - 6X Platinum
Master of Puppets - 6X Platinum
And Justice for All - 8X Platinum

When it comes to the albums sales in America for their 80's albums alone Metallica beat Maiden by a very long shot.
None of post-No Prayer for the Dying Maiden albums went even Gold in the States.

Ah thats interesting! Thanks for posting

An interesting anecdote of the Maiden platinums: the only two albums that sold platinum during the 80s were NotB and PoM, which both took until '86 to achieve that. The rest of the platinum certified records only managed that in the early 90s, with SiT being the last one, getting certified in '92. It's kind of curious, actually, considering how metal was trending down heavily by that point.

In comparison, Metallica sold gold with Master of Puppets during its release year, platinum with AJFA nine weeks after is release and of course I don't even need to say anything about the Black Album, it's the best-selling album of the Nielsen SoundScan era. It also massively boosted the sales of Metallica's back catalogue, hence the multiple platinum certifications even Kill 'Em All got.

So yeah, Metallica is a ridiculously massive band by record sales alone, and undeniably bigger than Maiden. But the funny thing is, despite all that, AC/DC is even more popular and has sold even more records than Metallica. So yeah, there's always a bigger fish. And that's just hard rock/heavy metal acts. Consider that the Beatles are still bigger than anything, and quite probably will remain that way permanently.

Metallica is still the biggest metal band IMO. Hardwired went no 1 in 57 countries, while The book of souls made 25 no 1 entries. Their shows sells out faster, and pretty much everyone knows about Metallica.

But of course, Maiden are and will always be well known for their success

Last edited:
An interesting anecdote of the Maiden platinums: the only two albums that sold platinum during the 80s were NotB and PoM, which both took until '86 to achieve that. The rest of the platinum certified records only managed that in the early 90s, with SiT being the last one, getting certified in '92. It's kind of curious, actually, considering how metal was trending down heavily by that point
Guess this was because the back catalouge came out on CD in the late 80’s?

While none of post-No Prayer for the Dying Maiden albums went even Gold in the States, nearly all of them consistently went Gold in the UK.
I got a feeling that Maiden are fairly a bigger metal band than Metallica there and I doubt are Metallica even more popular than Saxon or Motorhead.
Saxon are huge in Britain , but they never caught on in America and they are the second most important NWOBHM band.

Metallica in the UK:

Kill: Gold
Ride: Gold
Puppets: Platinum
Justice: Gold
S/T: 2x Platinum
Load: Gold
Reload: Gold
St Anger: Gold
Magnetic: Platinum
Hardwired: Gold
S&M: Platinum
Garage Inc: gold
Cunning stunts: Platinum
The videoes: Platinum

See, one of the things the make Metallica what they are is precisely the fact that they do not make that many new records and don't tour that extensively and yet their popularity doesn't suffer one bit.

Are you kidding? Metallica tour every year. But your right about the albums. 2 new albums in 14 years and yet they still sell out big arenas. I don't know how they do it.

Yes but they damn know well how to maintain that popularity. It would suffer if they play tours with mostly or only new material (or play as much later stuff as Maiden on their album tours).

Have you seen the recent setlist? They play a lot of new stuff. Most of it pretty bland and boring in my opinion but they are still selling out big arenas.

While none of post-No Prayer for the Dying Maiden albums went even Gold in the States, nearly all of them consistently went Gold in the UK.
I got a feeling that Maiden are fairly a bigger metal band than Metallica there and I doubt are Metallica even more popular than Saxon or Motorhead.
Saxon are huge in Britain , but they never caught on in America and they are the second most important NWOBHM band.
Metallica are much bigger than Saxon and Motorhead in the UK. Much, much bigger.

Metallica is absolutely guilty of the endless nostalgia tours where newer material is barely played, but I'd say they've redeemed themselves on this tour. Five new ones in the set in US, six most everywhere else and now seven for this short leg they did last month, plus rotating out more than a couple of songs, and leaving out certain almost-staples.

But then, I'd argue the appeal is very different between the two bands. Sure, Metallica has a decent amount of fans that want to see the new material live, but no doubt most of the people on the US stadium tour were there to see Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets and such. This happens to Maiden at certain gigs too, but I'd say that usually their audience is more receptive to new tunes overall, even outside the US.

Lol Saxon have a good following in the U.K. but no way could you call them huge. Just look at the venues they play on tour. To be classified as huge you’d be selling out the big arenas but Saxon play at the 1500-3000 size clubs at most.

I’m looking to pick Saxon tickets up for next year when they announce a London date but look at the dates they have announced, Cambridge corn exchange! Nice venue but you wouldn’t catch Metallica anywhere near that. They are Wembley stadium/Earl’s Court size band in the U.K. which Saxon sadly will never be.

Same with Motörhead they played the same type of venue as Saxon.

Just a glance at the Metallica touring schedule next year for Europe and you can see the size of the stadiums they are playing and all are confirmed sold out and were in minutes of going on sale. I’d say Metallica are the biggest band on the planet at the moment with only the likes of Maiden, guns n roses and U2 coming anywhere close.

tallica are easily the biggest of the bands today in the world. i could not afford to see them on there recent tour but sandyman is a song that rocks and deserves to be in any set list! never heard of the saxons

Back