Iron Maiden's Last Ever Show

They can do whatever they like, I just hope there's pro footage of it. I can't see them going massively out of their way for a single show but I'd be only too happy to be proved wrong
I'm kinda like "yeah, do whatever"

But I also really don't want them bringing back past members, unless of course they bring back Clive, a zombie Clive would be surprisingly spectacular (but maybe a bit distressing for his family and friends though).
A half alive Dianno and a never had it Blaze would be yuck.

I would actually like to see the keyboardist up on stage rather than hidden from view (which strikes me as weird, like kinda in denial).

I would actually like to see the keyboardist up on stage rather than hidden from view (which strikes me as weird, like kinda in denial).
Why stop there? Have Kiss pantomime and lip sync on stage while Maiden plays everything off stage...

Or how about having the solos played by the correct members?
Considering Adrian has played the Hallowed solo like twice after 1988, you could pretty easily argue the correct member to play that solo by performance count and unanimous band decision (it sure would appear) is Janick Gers.

It has nothing to do with denial and everything to do with the fact that Michael Kenney is Steve's bass tech first and Maiden's live keyboardist second. If he was up on stage with the band (which he doesn't really even seem to be interested in judging by, well, everything) then they'd basically have to hire another bass tech.

It has nothing to do with denial and everything to do with the fact that Michael Kenney is Steve's bass tech first and Maiden's live keyboardist second. If he was up on stage with the band (which he doesn't really even seem to be interested in judging by, well, everything) then they'd basically have to hire another bass tech.
As far as I am concerned, if someone is actually playing an instrument at the concert then they should be up on stage. Many other rock/metal bands have a keyboardist up there.
It strikes me as rather awkward that Maiden hide their keyboardist. Many, many songs of Maidens' utilise keyboard.
I personally would like to see the keyboardist recognised and up on stage.

As far as a setlist goes, I would like for them to do at least 1 song from every album.

Assuming the next album is their last, that would make 17 song setlist in total with very little room to play with show and setlist structur. With some albums it'd probably mean that some more or less forgotten gems would be played but then again, it would limit some other possibilities a bit too much. I'd expect them to follow LOTB/GMETID/Ed-Huntour layout with rather extensive look at the whole discography (meaning, pretty much all "eras" if not every single album) where 1-3 albums are given a bit more spotlight than others (POM on Legacy tour, for example).

It's interesting to see if they'll start another "hits" cycle after the next album tour, assuming things will go that far (why wouldn't they); I guess it could follow similar basic idea with LOTB, meaning resurrection of certain less-played favourites and obvious hits within a fresh setting and show+setlist structure. :) If such tour is announced after the next album run I wouldn't rule out the return of something like ROTAM and Phantom of the Opera for the last ride.

I personally would like to see the keyboardist recognised and up on stage.

Been there, done that. ;)
michael_kenny.JPG

Last edited:
Been there, done that. ;)
Oh, wow.
They should bring that back!
I have no problems with a performer coming on and off, depending on whether they have a part to play in a particular song. They should also be recognised at the end of the set, take a bow with the rest of the band.

I do have a problem with hiding the guy offstage and not mentioning them at all. They are a performer and they are playing music which makes up the delivered song.
It doesn't matter to me if the guy wants to be up on stage or not. Let's say Bruce decided one day that he didn't want to be up on stage, would it be acceptable for him to be at the concert, standing behind the curtain and singing while the rest of the band played on stage?

Very awkward. There is no reason nor rime to it.

The keyboard parts in Maiden are sporadic, very simplistic, and meant for occasional atmosphere - I don't think they warrant a stage presence. The parts are so basic that I'm surprised that they have a real person play them, rather than just play it off of tape like 99.99% other rock bands would...I really don't need to see Kenney put a one or two fingers down on the keys during the chorus of Speed of Light, and then run off stage. It would seem silly.

The keyboard parts in Maiden are sporadic, very simplistic, and meant for occasional atmosphere - I don't think they warrant a stage presence. The parts are so basic that I'm surprised that they have a real person play them, rather than just play it off of tape like 99.99% other rock bands would...I really don't need to see Kenney put a one or two fingers down on the keys during the chorus of Speed of Light, and then run off stage. It would seem silly.

Why live keyboards?

No click is the answer there (although Nicko now has visual click for tempo orientation only). A song like Blood Brothers would be a bitch to play to a backing track without the whole band having in-ears with click in them. Wicker Man is another example, where the whole song's tempo is basically down to how H starts it.

P.S. I have eternal respect for Neil Peart, who only had a visual click in a band with gazillion triggered tracks. And he kept ever changing time signatures perfectly on beat.

Why live keyboards?

No click is the answer there (although Nicko now has visual click for tempo orientation only). A song like Blood Brothers would be a bitch to play to a backing track without the whole band having in-ears with click in them. Wicker Man is another example, where the whole song's tempo is basically down to how H starts it.

P.S. I have eternal respect for Neil Peart, who only had a visual click in a band with gazillion triggered tracks. And he kept ever changing time signatures perfectly on beat.
Good point

Considering Adrian has played the Hallowed solo like twice after 1988, you could pretty easily argue the correct member to play that solo by performance count and unanimous band decision (it sure would appear) is Janick Gers.

Only if he plays it like the RiR version. Otherwise, it is a very annoying random improvisation or a long note played while standing in one foot with a hand at his ear... no, thank you..

I dreamt of Maiden's last ever show once. In my dream everyone who'd ever made it onto a Maiden recording put in an appearance, including Doug Sampson and Dennis Stratton. Di'Anno sang "Sanctuary" and Blaze sang "Sign of the Cross". Clive, who was still alive when I had the dream but in the dream was in a pretty bad way, was just about able to play the muted cymbals at the start of "Hallowed" (while Nicko held them muted for him) which made everyone in the arena cry. The encore was considerably longer than the usual three songs, and when the current band eventually did take their final bow, all had tears in their eyes. I awoke from the dream crying but when I had woken up properly I remembered: it hasn't happened yet! And then I was really happy.

Back