Iron Maiden

How good is Iron Maiden on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
7. Fun song, great chorus, instantly memorable. Haven't been to enough concerts to get sick of it... :p

Rankings:

1980 - Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

1981 - Killers - Up next!

I like the riff, and I like Steve's playing. A bit repetitive, but it doesn't bother me that much. It's better live. 7/10

I'm unable to listen to this one all the way through...
...LESS than three times in a row. Gets the blood pumping and I love the melody of the chorus. I bet this was a total riot in their club days.
Another one that sounds best with Clive, but Doug Sampson raised a thunderstorm in the BBC version from 1979.

Hard to add much to what others have said. It's repetitive and over played which probably affects our perception.

Overall not a bad song though

Doesn't quite beat something like To Tame A Land, Rime Of The Ancient Mariner or Empire of The Clouds.

In it's own right, out of the context of the Maiden mythology, it's not overall that amazing but something makes me decide to choose a 9/10

It's surely a showstopping work live, their signature song.

Fun song. Nice final statement from the band on this album. I like it better on this album than live now.

A good song.
7/10

Predictable but enjoyable; classic for a reason.
Highlight: Every time I hear that opening... wow...
Lowlight: Paul invites us into his room too many times.
8/10

One of Maiden's weakest songs, it's not bad, just very mediocre. Paul's voice is almost annoying and the chorus straight up sucks. Still, great guitarwork on it and the solo is nice. Gets a 5/10 from me.

Huh, don't know why I voted 8 earlier on. @LooseCannon where's the change vote option? :ninja:

One of Maiden's weakest songs, it's not bad, just very mediocre. Paul's voice is almost annoying and the chorus straight up sucks. Still, great guitarwork on it and the solo is nice. Gets a 5/10 from me.

Huh, don't know why I voted 8 earlier on. @LooseCannon where's the change vote option? :ninja:
THE ACTUAL FUCK?!

Must've hit the Charlotte thread and posted my thoughts on it. Jesus. The above comment is pure bullshit. I love this song. Always have. 10/10. Surprised that I gave it an 8 earlier because it deserves higher. Still waiting on that vote change option though @LooseCannon . :innocent:

8/10. I know it's not amazing on any basis, but it's always very enjoyable, expecially in the live versions, and it serves well as the Maiden anthem

Good, not great, so it gets a 6. The lyrics are rather clever (comparing the torture device to a deceitful woman, literally an iron maiden, is something very smart), but, musically, it's very monotonous and not that interesting. It works far better live, for which I'd give it a 9 or even a 10 (the LAD version might be my favorite thing this band's ever put out).

An awkward riff is joined by an even more awkward harmony, leading into a mildly catchy verse with a rough, half-shouted vocal from Paul. More awkward guitar harmonies and we hop into an underwhelming chorus with odd vocal and guitar accents.

Another round of the same, and then we get a more interesting two-part musical break before rolling back into the weak main riff. Another verse and chorus and this turd is put to bed with yet another big rock ending and some squealing from Paul.

I never liked this song, and it's unfortunate that it's both the band's namesake and the album's title track, because it's the weakest track on an already middling album. 4/10.

For the longest time this song was my favorite from the debut. Then Phantom shot up and this shot down. Well... it's back up again.

You need to be listening to this song to really get it, I find. The opening guitar bit is extremely metallic; Paul is great; the band is literally on fire. Yes, there's repetition, but this is honestly one of the few songs that repeats itself to this extent and can get away with it. No wonder it's at every show; it's magic. Honestly though, they've never come close matching it live because they nailed the studio version in 1980.

10/10. It shouldn't be this good, but it is. Excellent closer and perfect song to utilize the band's name.

A fun riff but it turns boring quite fast and...that's it, the drumming is dull, repetitive parts, no solos or real instrumental sections, not a lot is going on here. Live, it's a cool song because we all know what goes with it so every time I'll find myself screaming the words out loud but the studio version is just lifeless and boring. 4/10 and probably the weakest track of the album, along with Sanctuary

Back