Iron Maiden

How good is Iron Maiden on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Daily Song: Iron Maiden

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Iron Maiden

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

A classic song, in that they play it every concert. Overall, I find it lackluster, and never really much cared for it. Perhaps that will change live. 4/10.

Re: Daily Song: Iron Maiden

I used to put down this song and question why they had to play it every show.
But it's kind of grown on me in recent years.
It's fun to sing along with and fun live. Seven

9/10 for the namesake. Honestly.

But I'm totally in love with the soundhouse tapes version as opposed to the album version, it (like the version of Prowler) is raw and fresh and I'd give that a 10/10

I wish they'd stop playing this song live.  Just because it carries the band's name doesn't mean it's good enough to be played live.  The three times I've seen Maiden, I've always been a bit "meh" during this song.  I'd even prefer Run to the Hills or The Trooper in its stead.  I give 6.

Live, this is more than a song, it's a trademark move. It belongs to a Maiden gig just like "Doctor Doctor" being played before the lights go out, Bruce shouting "Scream for me!", Eddie coming on stage and 'Arry firing his machine gun bass.

Seriously, it wouldn't be a Maiden gig without this. Having said that, I can't rate it objectively as a song. It's not "just a song", neither live nor in the studio. It's like having to rate the elements on a Maiden cover, going "yeah, the streetlight is nice, I like the yellow bricks, but what about that big monster there?" 10/10, suck on that.

7/10. One of the songs that helped me get into Maiden (it helped that it was after Hallowed be thy Name on the compilation album so when I played HBTN again it always went on to that after). That version was live and the energy on it compared to the studio version is massive. Studio version is a average/poor song, on a live album? It's great.

This song is certainly dividing opinion amongst fans. I like it, it's good live and a not too bad studio version. It has special memories for me being that it was one of the first ever tracks I heard by them (the first being Running Free, then Burning Ambition - this was the third). 8/10.

The chorus I find the weakest part of it, even though I understand it's anthemic purpose. Nicko never played the song like Clive did. During the couplets Clive plays "normal" bass-snare-bass-snare, while Nicko copies the pattern of the preceding harmony (doubling the speed resulting in snare-b-snare-b-snare-b-snare-b).
Therefore the live version sounds more aggressive but I think the studio version has some nicer harmonies, in the middle of the song.

Nevertheless I find this the least song from the album. The rest is simply more challenging and evokes more emotions.

It's crazy how often the band plays this live. If you go over the tracks for all of their live albums/compilations, "Iron Maiden" is actually the track that's played the most.

Meh, The guitar intro is cool, but the lyrics are silly and I can't find much love for a song which just repeats the same three times over. Had this song had another name it wouldn't have been played live a single time since 1981. 5/10.

Eddies Wingman said:
Meh, The guitar intro is cool, but the lyrics are silly and I can't find much love for a song which just repeats the same three times over. Had this song had another name it wouldn't have been played live a single time since 1981. 5/10.
Agree 100%.  Other bands metal anthems are much better than Maidens.  The worst song on the album. 3.

As I already explained previously, I love that one; Absolute headbanging feel, lack of solo, stupid lyrics  :D Yes. Stupid. It's all about humor, an early element of our favorite band. 8/10 

It's like an anthem of the band but we're looking at the window of musicality. Worst of the album, 5/10.

While reading most of your opinions i was like "dude wat wat".

I love it, for me a gig without Iron Maiden would be serious mistake.
I totally agree it's not a technical or deep story telling song but it's hell of a fun. It's brilliant in its simplicity and delivers huge energy. The perfect song for dancing, prancing, going nuts and ENJOYing the show.

I don't think good music HAS TO BE about complicated melodies and this stuff (although i love them very much), i gave it 10/10 :)

Back