Iron Maiden

How good is Iron Maiden on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Iron Maiden' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'iron Maiden'

notice how harris craftingly makes the iron maiden seem like a cruel and deceitful woman trying to fool her victims to her inside by offering them to show them all her wares... kind of reminiscent of lamias i think....

'iron Maiden'

Those who are interested can now check out a new page on the [a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=album01_ironmaiden/maidennuremberg&lang=eng&link=albums\' target=\'_blank\']iron maiden of Nuremberg[/a], as well as a little biography of [a href=\'http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/?url=album01_ironmaiden/margaretthatcher&lang=eng&link=albums\' target=\'_blank\']England's most loved/hated Prime Minister[/a]. [!--emo&^_^--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/happy.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'happy.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'iron Maiden'

Its very strange how a so simple song can drive audiences crazy when this one is played live.

It a good song, but its ridiculous if you compare it to others that came later (or even with phantom of the opera)

Does anyone knows when Bruce came with "Scream for me" thing ?

'iron Maiden'

I give it only 2.5 stars. The lyrics are too repetive and they're not really any good to begin with. It's pretty simple and it doesn't have any solos but it's still not really a bad song.

'iron Maiden'

Agreed, the lyrics suck. On the other hand, it's a classic, and most people would be truly dissappointed if they wouldn't play if live. Most of the live recordings of that song are much better than the studio version.

'iron Maiden'

The best version of this song is, of course, on The Soundhouse Tapes. End of story.

'iron Maiden'

I very liked this song 10-12 years ago, but now I think it's not a classic. It's played on every shows because of its title, but both lyrically and musically it's not in the same league with Wrathchild or with The Phantom for example. It's main riff is quite punkish IMHO.

'iron Maiden'

To me this song has become better live due to the slowing-down of the instrumental interlude.

'iron Maiden'

Hmm, I liked the raw, fast energy of the song with Di'Anno better than Bruce slowing it down, but that's more of a personal opinion, I just think that the song is better suited to this raw energy Di'Anno had.

'iron Maiden'

now that's a simple tune, and despite of being the band's anthem, there's nothing really special about it. Pretty mediocre although it can wreck live! 3,5 stars

'iron Maiden'

I've always liked this song, both the studio and live versions. It really has that sign of the times thing, although the punk edge which I particularly like (how more biased can you get?) is only present in the versions with Paul.
The riff and the guitar sound are just brilliant. The lyrics, well, they work well with the song and the singing, don't they? I really enjoy Paul's phrasing and intonation here. Can you imagine he'd sing something like "King Darius the third defeated fled Persia the Scythians fell by the river Jaxartes" in this way? Not me. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
Four stars.

'iron Maiden'

I gave it a 4.

They song has some real energy in it, especially on versions played live with Paul. The lyrics is not very good, not at all. But they sort of represent the attitude of early maiden. I think it's a good song to end the set with just because they've always did it, it's a classic.

'iron Maiden'

Okay, we've gone over it that it's not a technical or epic song. It's just a good ol' fist-pumping anthem. Something to get the blood running eh? [!--emo&;)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/wink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'wink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

'iron Maiden'

I always wondered why it got slower as they got older, and never really liked it slower. But now that I finally got a copy of Soundhouse it makes sense (well at least to me). I think the additional details Harris puts in the bass lines in the Soundhouse version are pretty cool as well, they kind of wash out in the faster versions, get shorthanded, however you want to put it.

Ya have to wonder if someone said "try it a little faster" in the studio, or if it was just the adrenaline pumping. Though, judging from some of the live tapes I've heard from around that time, everything got played *way* faster than what went on the vinyl (they probably were told to slow it down so we can hear the actual notes).

Anyway, personally I love this song. The right way to hear it is Sanctuary -> Charlotte -> Iron Maiden (that's the way it was on the US vinyl) just gets me cranked everytime.

'iron Maiden'

Well i think we have all agreed of it's bad lyrics, but the main riff is brilliant. And it's got a certain feeling when it's played live so it has earned a 4 star

'iron Maiden'

By Maiden's high standards it isn't that good, but I still find it an enjoyable song, especially live.

'iron Maiden'

Enjoyable song, I always did like it. The lyrics are weird, though. 4/5.

Re: 'iron Maiden'

I like everything in it !!
And what I l-o-v-e is the lack of solo !!
I mean I usually love solos, but this is an incredibly clever thing; the trademerk of a band being such a straight forward song !!

Re: 'iron Maiden'

Iron maiden: who doesn’t know this song, its played at every concert. It probably works better live but I still think that if this song had a different name they would have stopped playing it 25 years ago. No solo, straightforward guitar riffs, bass plays about 5 different notes in the whole song and the drums have some nice drives. The lyrics are open to interpretation and the vocals work very well. Halfway through it goes into a nice short instrumental and a short bass and drums solo of about 20 secs. Then back to the chorus and verse. The ending is brilliant live as they just mess around and use distortion and smash their guitars. 3.5/5

Back