Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be a dream!

But seriously? Roy Z said he has 17 songs done with Bruce?:S argghhhh this is so depressing
I also bet Bruce prefer to tour his book that only require himself and an assistant (=very little expenses) instead of with a band (5 people in the band, a crew, tour bus, hotels = lot of expenses and hard work)

This is his point of view (if true). That's rather acceptable when studying the person and psychology of our favourite lead singer. But many out here are fans of his musical ventures, first and foremost. Whatever the reason of the delay, people are going to stay unhappy about it, as long as it takes. Even if it can be accepted to a certain extent, it is still sad and may give enough reason for some pessimism about this subject.
We are the consumers. The Maidenfans board started because of Bruce's voice recorded on Maiden and solo records.

If that is true, then all the more reason for pessimism.
Bruce (written) music without Iron Maiden playing it, and with Roy Z as a co-writer (or whoever else, or even without some other writer) is worthwhile creating, is worthwhile to see released. When you think about it: in a very lengthy timeline in between Bruce and Maiden releases, Bruce would not be eager to do a solo record because he can do anything he wants in Maiden. Can he do anything he wants in Maiden? What does he do then? Hardly a thing. One studio album in 2011-2021, 11 years is virtually nothing. Great job Maiden, great job Bruce (4 Bruce songs in 11 years)!

I think you hit the nail right on the head. 4 songs in 11 years, regardless of how good they are, is hardly an explosion of creativity.

It should probably be added that Bruce has been often hinting at finishing and releasing the solo album at his book tour shows, so I still think there is some reason to hope he would put his money where his mouth is.

That being said, his aviation business has not been flying high (to put it mildly) and has required him investing a significant amount of money into the business. Let’s face it, that money would not come from a solo album…

I am amazed by how well Chemical Wedding is received in the forum!

It is one of the albums i keep going back to. One of my fantasy has always been what if Maiden adopted a heavier and darker sound which would also help Bruce and allow him to sing at a moderate register. The extremely high scales in the chorus of Talisman, speed of light, mother of mercy is just ridiculous and unnecessary and surely must strain his voice. The songs could be equally good at a lower register.

Last edited:
Book of Souls is best reunion album.
I rate the reunion albums in the following order
1. Brave new world: on of the best short rocker in their entire catalogue (wickerman), amazing epics, no filler songs

2. Dance of Death: title track, Paschendale, Rainmaker, Journeyman-good enough to be on any maiden album. Gets dragged down a little by fillers such as New Frontiers and Age of innocence

3. AMOLAD: one of the best riffs ever from maiden in Colors don't run and the epics in this album are all excellent.. especially For the greater good of god. Different World is also a nice opener with a surprisingly low register chorus and a nice solo.

4. Book of Souls: Great album, strong epics. Let down a little by repetitions, instrumental sections not having a cohesive feel. Great opener in Speed of Light

7. TFF: El Dorado, Starblind, Man who woulld be king, The Talisman, Wild wind blows. Talisman let down by the worst solo from maiden. Mother of mercy (worst chorus winner together with Death or Glory), title track, coming home etc are just meh. Isle of Avalon gave me seventh son vibes when the song starts but it never matures and flourishes into something epic. Weaker album than all of the above in my opinion.

Last edited:
I mean, these are issues that are so easy to fix. Just hire a known good producer to handle the mix and a known good editor to handle the edit. So, basically, somehow distract Steve for long enough that he doesn't get to be anywhere near the product until it's finished.
If people still were buying CD/DVD/Bluerays like back in the day, they would do this + hire Shirley to mix, like with Flight 666. But there's no economic incentive anymore, they would just lose money. Now we will just get Newton mixed, low budget releases instead.

If people still were buying CD/DVD/Bluerays like back in the day, they would do this + hire Shirley to mix, like with Flight 666. But there's no economic incentive anymore, they would just lose money. Now we will just get Newton mixed, low budget releases instead.
Yeah, yeah - it's always fans fault that Maiden prefers the easiest solution. Last live album was best example of putting minimal effort into fans relations.

Its sad but Maiden Has become a cabarect act. Their last salvation may be a good album because unfortunately the years of the pandemic have significantly weakened their position in my eyes.

Yeah, yeah - it's always fans fault that Maiden prefers the easiest solution. Last live album was best example of putting minimal effort into fans relations.

Its sad but Maiden Has become a cabarect act. Their last salvation may be a good album because unfortunately the years of the pandemic have significantly weakened their position in my eyes.
I don't blame any fans, this is just the state of the music industry today, with the advance of streaming and diminished physical sales. The individual artists now generally receive less, while major labels have striked lucrative licensing deals with Apple Music, YouTube, Spotify etc. There's still a lot of money to be made though, but it's distributed different now. As an example: Artists get paid according to how many times their tracks are played, something that doesn't favour Maiden's song structures.

Last edited:
I don't blame any fans, this is just the state of the music industry today, with the advance of streaming and diminished physical disc saled. The individual artists receive less, while Major labels have striked lucrative licensing deals with Apple Music, Spotify etc.
The brand of their size has many opportunities to make money and still respect their fans. Maiden is not some garage band which must tour or die. They fly branded Jumbo Jet but expect us to believe that music industry is so harsh for them that they cant be Creativa like this for fans sake? No. They just dont care, economic has nothing to do with that.

They just dont care, economic has nothing to do with that.
This is not something exclusive for Iron Maiden, less commercially successful bands have also stopped releasing DVD/Blu-ray's.
An example I came to think of:

Asked if there are any plans for CHILDREN OF BODOM to film and release a new concert DVD to follow 2006's "Chaos Ridden Years/Stockholm Knockout Live", Henkka said: "I would like to do… If I could choose, I would just do one good show and have it recorded with cameras really nicely and we have a live album — like kind of a traditional live DVD. But as I talked yesterday with our label guys, it doesn't really make sense, and they were suggesting maybe we should do something like record one show live and have it as a bonus material for the next album or something.

Sticks For Stones: Do you see revenue from streaming services such as Spotify?

Janne
: No, no, no. There's no money at all in Spotify. No. It's shit.
Sticks For Stones: It's sad to see artists getting the raw end of the deal…

Janne: Yeah, definitely, 'cause, you know, a huge part of our income is now totally gone. Album sales just don't exist anymore. It's a really, really fucked up situation, I think.

Maiden propably didn't make much by putting up Nights of the Dead on Apple Music and Spotify either...

Yes, agree with @TheTalisman . Maiden already made millions, sure, but I think there's definitly a correlation between the last 10 years (or so) dwindling CD/DVD sales and Maiden's increased focus on concert tours and other financial ventures (games, beers etc) When DVD's were all the rage they put out a DVD almost every year (in the early to mid 00's) but nothing since 2013!

It's pretty easy to see that this is the case with new Maiden albums too. There's not enough sale in new album releases anymore. They are useful when you need to get out on the road again - but if you can extend other tours two or three years becasue the demand is there - then you might as well do that, lower effort but same financial gain. Same with the DVD's they stopped putting them out since 2013 because it's not worth the cost to produce anymore with the sales they'd make on them.

Last edited:
Yes, agree with @TheTalisman . Maiden already made millions, sure, but I think there's definitly a correlation between the last 10 years (or so) dwindling CD/DVD sales and Maiden's increased focus on concert tours and other financial ventures (games, beers etc) When DVD's were all the rage they put out a DVD almost every year (in the early to mid 00's) but nothing since 2013!

It's pretty easy to see that this is the case with new Maiden albums too. There's not enough sale in new album releases anymore. They are useful when you need to get out on the road again - but if you can extend other tours two or three years becasue the demand is there - then you might as well do that, lower effort but same financial gain. Same with the DVD's they stopped putting them out since 2013 because it's not worth the cost to produce anymore with the sales they'd make on them.
Exactly, so same with KISS. Gene Simmons said there's no option to put next album or DVD 'cos no one wants to pay for it. The options are: games, movies, concert shows, merch, biopics or so. Iron Maiden won't release new album without proper tour spanning two years as The Book of Souls done. Sales for brand new albums from all rock artists I know went down more and more. Just check the latest releases from Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, Osbourne, Deep Purple even AC/DC. The chart positions are good or very good but the real figures... it's declining a lot. Let's hope we see the tours next year and THEN a brand new IM album will be released.

BTW: NOTD from Mexico was something like an official bootleg with professional release standard. These shows weren't planned to be professionally recorded at all, just technical recording from the soundboard. Not exciting at all but still better than "live" album from streaming. :)

Today Maiden earn a lot of money from beers, merch and gammers than the music, it's obvious. So now wee could realize why did they invest so many efforts to promote merch series, new Eddie's dolls, beers. Music became something additional - sign of our times. Maybe absolutely mega stars as Metallica, GNR or AC/DC could still earn a lot just from streamings - not mentioning pop/hip hop or rap mega stars. But - that's all.

Yeah and then if you can even go on a concert tour based on one of your other financial ventures that don't require the band to release something = Legacy of the Beast game/tour. Well you've hit the jackpot. Most money on what sells the most with lowest effort put into it and you even advertise the game to make even more money in the process!

Last edited:
Maiden already made millions, sure, but I think there's definitly a correlation between the last 10 years (or so) dwindling CD/DVD sales and Maiden's increased focus on concert tours and other financial ventures (games, beers etc) When DVD's were all the rage they put out a DVD almost every year (in the early to mid 00's) but nothing since 2013!
Sad but true. As a souvenir from a tour, DVD's are great, but as long as they release video concert from any tour (in YouTube, for example... like it was the case with TBOS: Live Chapter), I'm good. I prefer DVD's to live albums.
About the LOTB game - as I said before, at least we get new artworks of Eddie. After all, this is a big tradition for the band.
It's pretty easy to see that this is the case with new Maiden albums too. There's not enough sale in new album releases anymore. They are useful when you need to get out on the road again - but if you can extend other tours two or three years becasue the demand is there - then you might as well do that, lower effort but same financial gain.
I think releasing a new album should not be made for the sake of financial gain. They can extend the History tours instead of releasing new albums, but it's not the same.... remember in the 80's when there were no Hits tours and they released albums so they can tour. Yeah, the sales were different back then, they were younger and hungry for music, but the point of any band is to release new music and go on tours with it - I understand that any band can tour with their greatest hits all the time, but it would be the same experience (more or less) for the fans and for the band too. Also, both sides would not be pleased for long.

Yeah and then if you can even go on a concert tour based on one of your other financial ventures that don't require the band to release something = Legacy of the Beast game/tour. Well you've hit the jackpot. Most money on what sells the most with lowest effort put into it and you even advertise the game to make even more money in the process!
Most of artists do or will do the same. KISS, Motley Crue - farewell/come back tour based on... biopics. Many years ago I've read an article about the condition of music business. And now I see all facts from that are real today. Even big names feel releasing new physical stuff as being "not economical", when the costs of recording, production or distributions won't equal the income from sales...

Most of artists do or will do the same. KISS, Motley Crue - farewell/come back tour based on... biopics. Many years ago I've read an article about the condition of music business. And now I see all facts from that are real today. Even big names feel releasing new physical stuff as being "not economical", when the costs of recording, production or distributions won't equal the income from sales...
Too true.

But you know it's bad when KISS haven't yet done a tour based on their pinball game but Maiden have been on their mobile game Legacy of the Beast tour since 2017...:facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back