Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best thing we got out of Maiden in recent times is the playthrough of Gangland by Adrian Smith on Youtube. The whole fishing book thing all over instagram and maiden website and this computer game thingy is super annoying (when you are waiting on any kind of news on the album)

A double live album.

EDIT: also video footage of Aces High from the album.
Do we need more live albums of old songs? Bruce sounds strained hitting the high notes and it just makes me sad eventhough it is natural at his age. When i feel like listening to live versions of songs, there are already many options to choose from. Rock in Rio 2001 dvd being one of the absolute best or Death on the Road. Personally i don't care about live albums. I want to see them perform live and release new music

A double live album.

EDIT: also video footage of Aces High from the album.

An album that was recorded 1 year too late IMO (2018 performances were on another level compared to 2019) and is mixed questionably to say at least.

Also, you put on one of the best shows you ever have and don't release a video...
:facepalm:

(But thinking again... Considering the edit of Live Chapter, where Dave plays multiple guitars during the same song, and FOI video, where Bruce's hair grows and cuts itself like 8 times... Maybe it's better they didn't.)

An album that was recorded 1 year too late IMO (2018 performances were on another level compared to 2019) and is mixed questionably to say at least.

Also, you put on one of the best shows you ever have and don't release a video...
:facepalm:

(But thinking again... Considering the edit of Live Chapter, where Dave plays multiple guitars during the same song, and FOI video, where Bruce's hair grows and cuts itself like 8 times... Maybe it's better they didn't.)
I mean, these are issues that are so easy to fix. Just hire a known good producer to handle the mix and a known good editor to handle the edit. So, basically, somehow distract Steve for long enough that he doesn't get to be anywhere near the product until it's finished.

I'm not sure how it would be any different for us if Maiden told us 2 years ago that they were in Paris recording an album. If anything, it would be worse. The album still wouldn't be out (if they kept to their current LOTB 3 leg plans), and a lot more fans would be aware if it, a baby Chinese Democracy if you will.

They are keeping their plans under wraps until they are ready to release the album and that is fair enough for me. We wouldn't even know about it if fans hadn't harassed bruce buying his breakfast in Paris and the likes, and fans who have built themselves up into a frenzy of disappointment over it only have themselves to blame.

Booking the third leg of LOTB is the real issue. However, I think we've caught a break on that one. If they'd announced and released the new album for early 2020 instead of the 3rd leg of LOTB, which is what I would have preferred at the time, then we would have had an album come out last year with covid putting the tour on hold for 2 years, which would be an anti climax for what may be Maiden's last studio album and tour cycle. I'm quite happy for LOTB to be the tour getting messed about instead.
I agree with your first paragraph, that an early official confirmation of making a new album, followed by a big delay until release, isn't much better.

However, I respectfully disagree with your second paragraph. 'Fans who have built themselves up into a frenzy of disappointment' absolutely DO NOT have only themselves to blame. The blame rests with Maiden for shifting gear from 5 to 6 and now likely 7 year album gap without really bothering to tell anyone. Maiden set standards and expectations over four decades, and this is the basis of fan reaction.

Remember around the DOD tour when Maiden announced they would do shorter summer tours from now on, rather than 10 month epic tours? Remember how Rod and the maiden team actually communicated a change of pace to the fans? And we accepted it because it makes sense and they are older and BNW touring may have burnt them out a bit, fair enough.

But I totally agree with your third paragraph. The fault is the 3 stages of LOTB. In 2018 they toured LOTB for just 2 months (late May till late July). I cannot believe that the band of three years ago was only capable of a 2 month tour, this beggars belief.

I agree with your first paragraph, that an early official confirmation of making a new album, followed by a big delay until release, isn't much better.

However, I respectfully disagree with your second paragraph. 'Fans who have built themselves up into a frenzy of disappointment' absolutely DO NOT have only themselves to blame. The blame rests with Maiden for shifting gear from 5 to 6 and now likely 7 year album gap without really bothering to tell anyone. Maiden set standards and expectations over four decades, and this is the basis of fan reaction.

Remember around the DOD tour when Maiden announced they would do shorter summer tours from now on, rather than 10 month epic tours? Remember how Rod and the maiden team actually communicated a change of pace to the fans? And we accepted it because it makes sense and they are older and BNW touring may have burnt them out a bit, fair enough.

Yeah that's a fair point re: communication of touring plans, a bit more of that may not go amiss.

However, what I think goes unnoticed by a lot is, the only real change since 2010 is the touring going on for third legs. The extensions between TFF and TBOS, and TBOS and #17 had extenuating circumstances, Bruce got cancer and Covid happened. Without either of them you would possibly be working off the same kind of schedule as in the 2000s, except for the third legs. I'd be quite happy if they ditched third legs that return to the same territories that already had gigs.

Also, are you an old school poster from the official forum? Your username is ringing a bell, not sure if it was a guys username or if he had it in his profile or signature or something

Yeah that's a fair point re: communication of touring plans, a bit more of that may not go amiss.

However, what I think goes unnoticed by a lot is, the only real change since 2010 is the touring going on for third legs. The extensions between TFF and TBOS, and TBOS and #17 had extenuating circumstances, Bruce got cancer and Covid happened. Without either of them you would possibly be working off the same kind of schedule as in the 2000s, except for the third legs. I'd be quite happy if they ditched third legs that return to the same territories that already had gigs.

Also, are you an old school poster from the official forum? Your username is ringing a bell, not sure if it was a guys username or if he had it in his profile or signature or something
Totally agree with you.

By the way, I used to be called fishjamma many years ago on the old official forum. And I may be getting you massively confused with someone else, but I remember the name 'srfc' from the old forum. And I think we chatted at a Judas Priest gig in Hammersmith Odeon? Well, I think it was with an 'srfc' from the old forum, and I also recall he was a bloody nice bloke to boot!

Might not be you I realise...

However, what I think goes unnoticed by a lot is, the only real change since 2010 is the touring going on for third legs. The extensions between TFF and TBOS, and TBOS and #17 had extenuating circumstances, Bruce got cancer and Covid happened.

Bruce's cancer only delayed the release of TBOS by 3 months (the original plan was to release the album in May, with a North American tour following in the summer).

Booking the third leg of LOTB is the real issue.
You hit the nail on the head! It's an issue because it is a summer leg - and because of that the album could be released in the end of 2022 (with a tour for it in 2023-2024) or to be released in 2023 instead. If there are no more dates, then the tour will finish in July - video release from the tour in August (I hope), single (probably) in September and the album in October. There's no time for the first leg of the album tour next year (only November to December). If this short 3rd leg was during the start of the year, it would have been completely different. But then again, they managed to make two different tours in one year (in 2003) with only almost 2 months break in between.

If the album is released at the end of next year, the tour can start in February 2023 (like it was the scenario with TBOS album and tour).
Yes they do: you previously provided us links to old posts where fans had collected together a series of clues and photographs around Iron Maiden members being in Paris, close to the studio, Kevin Shirley posts about working on a major project etc. Based on these snippets of evidence, you (and many others) have concluded that beyond all doubt Maiden has completed an album of new material.

I characterized this method of keeping up with Maiden's activities as a 'treasure hunt' by the fans for clues. This is my phrase that I have used to characterise the way in which you (and many others) have accumulated scraps of information to confidently conclude that album 17 is ready.

My only contention is not about the fans engaged in the treasure hunt for scraps of information, but about Maiden itself. Over a 2 -3 year time period, this is a substandard way for Maiden to treat its fans regarding what they are up to.
I have not provided any links. If your contention is not about the fans engaged in the hunt of clues, why you seem annoyed by this? Anyway, when you wait so long for a new album, you definitely would become a ''treasure hunter'' of clues. :p

^ New album of Maiden is always very anticipated from the fans, so it's not surprising (given the long wait too). And if I'm not mistaken, this is the only album for which Maiden wants to keep everything in ''secret''. Only Bruce's hints of new music during the LOTB tour were sort of an open talk about it (because the album was already recorded back then). I still think the album would have been released in 2020.

End of 2022 or early 2023??? Because of some booking issues that a band of Maiden's stature cannot manage?

That would just be an insane decision from the band to sit on an album already recorded in 2019

The album is coming out later this year. I have no evidence other than a feeling in my bones

End of 2022 or early 2023??? Because of some booking issues that a band of Maiden's stature cannot manage?

That would just be an insane decision from the band to sit on an album already recorded in 2019

The album is coming out later this year. I have no evidence other than a feeling in my bones
Nahhhh it's just arthritis from the shitty weather...

Because of some booking issues that a band of Maiden's stature cannot manage?
We can't be sure about that, but who knows. Or they want to finish the 3rd leg of LOTB (this was their plan right from the start) and release the album when they are sure they can tour again.

Totally agree with you.

By the way, I used to be called fishjamma many years ago on the old official forum. And I may be getting you massively confused with someone else, but I remember the name 'srfc' from the old forum. And I think we chatted at a Judas Priest gig in Hammersmith Odeon? Well, I think it was with an 'srfc' from the old forum, and I also recall he was a bloody nice bloke to boot!

Might not be you I realise...

Yeah that's me, I met you before the first night in Earls Court in 06 as well.

Good to see the old timers still around, sobering to think in those days we were the young guns!

I would personally LOVE to see an instrumental on the new album. I keep googling Iron Maiden 'New's in the hope of some kind of announcement, considering it was around mid June for TFF and BOS announcements. Tired of the Beer, Football, Video Games stuff :facepalm:
Worried that the album might stagnate in their own minds if they wait to release in 22. I need it to be this year :innocent:. Obviously Maiden don't owe anybody anything really, but knowing an album has likely been recorded 2 yrs ago is difficult.

I appreciate all of you trying to find always new points of view, keys of analysis, and stuff, to "justify" them. Our favourite band is the laziest band around, nowadays. It's as simple as that. Sad but true, as Metallica sang.

Don't blame the pandemic. Blame the overall 6 years of Maiden England Tour + Lotb Tour (2 done, 1 planned to re-do, 5 YEARS IN TOTAL for the same tour to end, pandemic or not pandemic that's how it is). That's the root of all """evil""". All of that crucially cut out all the chances to have 6 or maybe even 7 Maiden studio albums already now, since Bruce and Adrian came back in '99.

I'm not complaining. I'm simply not expecting anything, anymore, which is a completely different thing, and way sadder.

Something got broken around 2012, when the crazy "3 years-leg-nostalgia tours" started to become the norm.

Man, until 2011 they didn't friggin' miss a beat.
I miss those times. Album cycle, kickass and short history tours (with the huge Somewhere Back In Time being the only 2 years exception) and then ready with the following album cycle. They've been simply majestic, as far as I'm concerned, until TFF Tour 2nd leg and up to En Vivo! release, in early 2012.

Then the beer thing started, in 2013... And... Here we are. Only one studio album released over the last 10 years.

Let's just think we shouldn't expect anything, not anymore. They entered the state of mind where they don't care at all about what we ask, write or think.They'll deliver everything only when and how they want it to.

Last edited:
Root of all evil is diminishing album sales, i think. Nowadays, bands make money only by touring.. Pay attention, beer sells, so... they make more and more of it. Albums clearly not in favor, business wise.

Fair point. But then, if as a band you know album sales generally suffer a bit, why the f*** release a rushed live album (which Bruce himself can't be fully proud of, btw) instead of focusing all the attention on a brand new studio album?

I will never get tired of underline this: who bought and paid for previous Maiden studio albums in the past, will/would still do, anytime and in any case. Any year, pandemic or not. For instance, I don't think I'll ever get a copy of Nights Of The Dead, as I consider it their worst live release, their worst cover artwork, and their worst (still good, though!) performance captured on a live recording.

But, on the contrary, a studio release physical format will always make it to my Maiden shelf, no matter what.

I'm not a cryingbaby begging for 6 Englishmen in their late sixties to get together and to write music at all costs. But given that THEY DID two years ago, freezing a potential hidden masterpiece is a real pity.

I don't think they'll get shooted if they released it later this year. Even with the damned 3rd Legacy Leg to conclude (which I'm supposed to witness in Bologna, btw!).

Having said that, I'd be fine with just an album title + artwork and tracklist this month and then with the album released in late 2022, with not a second of music until release day. I'd have already enough material to jizz on (joking, but you get the picture, don't ya ahah ), after 6 years of speculations and bullshits!

Last edited:
I have not provided any links. If your contention is not about the fans engaged in the hunt of clues, why you seem annoyed by this? Anyway, when you wait so long for a new album, you definitely would become a ''treasure hunter'' of clues. :p

^ New album of Maiden is always very anticipated from the fans, so it's not surprising (given the long wait too). And if I'm not mistaken, this is the only album for which Maiden wants to keep everything in ''secret''.
You have made reference to the accumulation of scraps of evidence. You have referred to these scraps of evidence as being the primary reason as to why you are completely convinced that Maiden has completed the recording of album 17. You have literally referenced this evidence earlier in THIS thread!

As for Maiden keeping it "secret", you say this like its a good thing. Well, I'm happy for you that you are happy with the 'service' rendered by Maiden; in terms of their lack of communication to the die hard fanbase these last couple of difficult years.

Yeah that's me, I met you before the first night in Earls Court in 06 as well.

Good to see the old timers still around, sobering to think in those days we were the young guns!
It's nice to be back in contact! I recall Earl's Court 2006 now you mention it. Judas Priest in 2005 was when the Scorpions supported. 15 years ago...!!! I had just finished university at the time... Less of a young gun now ;)

They're older, priorities change. Some are keeping busy. Bruce is doing his thing and has a hand in all sorts of enterprises. Steve has British Lion going and will tour this year. Adrian made a record. Davey, Jan, and Nicko? Kicking back and enjoying life? Hell, that's what I would like to be doing at their age. Lazy? No. I say what they've earned what they are doing now. As selfish Maiden fans we would love for them to tour and put out a new record every couple years. Those days are long gone. Maiden is not going to be around much longer. Cherish what we have left....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back