Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mother Russia is not a good song, tho.

I disagree with this and your conclusion. It's a good song that suffers a lot from the poor production of the album. Obviously, it doesn't convey the sense of majesty and pomp they were going for, but it's still a good composition and decently performed. We can only speculate why it wasn't played live, but a lot of songs the band liked had poor live treatment. But I don't think we can take this as proof that it's not a good song anyway.

So, from 2:40 on it doesn't sound like dumbed down Seventh Son to you? Because it is.

So, from 2:40 on it doesn't sound like dumbed down Seventh Son to you? Because it is.

I think I know what you mean, but it doesn't sound that way to me. I perfectly agree that it is more simplistic than their previous epics, but it works, in my opinion. The song's topic isn't in such mystical spheres and narrative grandeur as what came before, and the same applies to the album as a whole.

Age Of Innocence is the worst reunion song !

LOL!

I love the Age Of Innocence, gorgeous and haunting intro, brutal main riff and it has one of Maiden's most mind blowing harmonized melodies of all time! It's so violently beautiful than it almost hurts while listening...absolutely to die for!

LOL!

I love the Age Of Innocence, gorgeous and haunting intro, brutal main riff and it has one of Maiden's most mind blowing harmonized melodies of all time! It's so violently beautiful than it almost hurts while listening...absolutely to die for!

The lyrics are a pile of shit though and, to me, that is a fundamental part of a song (that is not an instrumental song).

I think I know what you mean, but it doesn't sound that way to me. I perfectly agree that it is more simplistic than their previous epics, but it works, in my opinion. The song's topic isn't in such mystical spheres and narrative grandeur as what came before, and the same applies to the album as a whole.

Ok fair enough. For me it sounds like Harris lumped up an epic just because.

Best of reunion albums:

Best opener: If Eternity Should Fail (The Book of Souls). The Wicker Man is a fantastic song, but its main riff is way too strikingly similar to Priest's "Running Wild".
Most consistent album: A Matter Of Life And Death (by a long shot)
Best song: Starblind (The Final Frontier), challenged by Dance Of Death.
Best production: Brave New World (by a very long shot)
Best artwork: The Book Of Souls (the depiction of Eddie is magnificent, although it should have been better to have a Mayan pyramid and some books in the background).

Worst of reunion albums:

Worst opener: Different World (Dance Of Death)
Least consistent album: Dance Of Death
Worst song: Man Of Sorrows (the only good part is the chorus)
Worst production: The Final Frontier
Worst artwork: Dance Of Death

Agreed. That riff is excellent and spent on a bullshit song.

Great song throughout. Riffs are top of the line. Lyrics are great too: they are Not the best , but the notion that they are shite seems to be more a political view around here than a genuine review. AOI is positively the most underrated song on this forum. Outside of the comments here, everyone I know likes the song. I freakin love it.

LOL!

Yeah, the intro is very cool, that's ''essential'' Davey, for me ! The song is more like from one of Bruce solo albums, which is strange since Dave and Steve wrote it !
But I think that the album can easily go without AOI ! But everything is OK- different music tastes, mate ! :)

Great song throughout. Riffs are top of the line. Lyrics are great too: they are Not the best , but the notion that they are shite seems to be more a political view around here than a genuine review. AOI is positively the most underrated song on this forum. Outside of the comments here, everyone I know likes the song. I freakin love it.

Age of Innocence is only a "bad" song on this forum because the lyrics trigger the liberals. In reality it's a very good song. It's probably not a good idea, though, for Steve to write any lyrics of a political nature, as too many fans will get upset. I just thank God that Maiden didn't turn into another SJW band trying to shove left-wing BS down our throats.

Age of Innocence is only a "bad" song on this forum because the lyrics trigger the liberals. In reality it's a very good song. It's probably not a good idea, though, for Steve to write any lyrics of a political nature, as too many fans will get upset. I just thank God that Maiden didn't turn into another SJW band trying to shove left-wing BS down our throats.
Once again, only one member is getting “triggered” by this song.

Lyrics are bad and you two are idiots. I never said I disagree with the message.

RE: lyrics to AOI

It's not so much that I politically disagree with them, it's that they're are a really dumb expression of those sentiments. I disagree politically with some of Rush's lyrics a lot more but at least they are formulated as coherent thoughts.

I disagree politically with some of Rush's lyrics a lot more but at least they are formulated as coherent thoughts.
This is the songs problem imo. It’s lyrically and musically incoherent. The lyrics are kinda goofy which isn’t a big deal to me, but the music is just as jumbled. I don’t dislike the song but it’s a bit of a mess all around.

Ok fair enough. For me it sounds like Harris lumped up an epic just because.

I think the only reason some people even consider Mother Russia an "epic" is it's placement on the album.

At only five and a half minutes long it would be 'just another song' if it was not the final track.

Where Eagles Dare would be considered an epic if it was the final song on NPFTD. It is longer and has a big instrumental breakdown, but no one calls it an "epic" as it is an album opener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back