Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but even musicians called him The Small Wallet. The last rumour: Maiden may announce US dates for this year. Being honest I don't believe in this...

British Lion are playing in Novemeber and December, doesn't leave a lot of time to sell tickets and play gigs between now and November.

going back to really hideous album art comments - anybody know if there actually exists the "finished" images of DoD anywhere? obviously, only Steve though that 8-bit crap looked good in '03...there must be some finished concept art from artist somewhere? anyone know where to find? really dig DoD for the (ahem) record. shocking that ended up on the cover...even 18 yrs later i smh looking at it lol

going back to really hideous album art comments - anybody know if there actually exists the "finished" images of DoD anywhere? obviously, only Steve though that 8-bit crap looked good in '03...there must be some finished concept art from artist somewhere? anyone know where to find? really dig DoD for the (ahem) record. shocking that ended up on the cover...even 18 yrs later i smh looking at it lol
I didn’t think there was a finished version? I thought Steve said “nope, I like that!” before the dude finished. Like stopping in the middle of a haircut or something.

that's what i heard too but i guess the question is, is that really true? i'm sure there's a definitive answer. but i just find it hard to believe the artist didn't have *something* better in the back pocket, you know? it's a super cool concept...very EYES WIDE SHUT (probably an influence?)...welcome to the DoD...i'm Grim Reaper, MC lol

that's what i heard too but i guess the question is, is that really true? i'm sure there's a definitive answer. but i just find it hard to believe the artist didn't have *something* better in the back pocket, you know? it's a super cool concept...very EYES WIDE SHUT (probably an influence?)...welcome to the DoD...i'm Grim Reaper, MC lol
I remember reading years ago the artist approaching Steve with the mock up of the direction / general idea he was going in and Steve loved what he saw and wanted it to stay exactly as it is ahaha. So it's doubtful he actually had anything else .

lol how in hell could anyone look at that blocky, clearly conceptual not ready for primetime, design and say, YES! boggles the mind. there's a story here and i hope some day it comes out because it is easily the ugliest album cover by just about ANY band EVER and when you consider the magnificent covers Maiden has produced...well, all the more tragic and comical ! it's abysmal. that's all you can say. great concept, HORRIBLE execution. and i'd think the artist himself would want the fans/world to know, hey, that's NOT my idea of a finished product lol

^ sorry for trudging up old (bad) ground, man lol. basically a noob here...haven't been on the site since like '09 i think (sheesh). just venting a bit on old wounds! yeah, i seriously doubt ANYONE would rate ANY cover worse than DoD (maybe Virtual???)...

^ sorry for trudging up old (bad) ground, man lol. basically a noob here...haven't been on the site since like '09 i think (sheesh). just venting a bit on old wounds! yeah, i seriously doubt ANYONE would rate ANY cover worse than DoD (maybe Virtual???)...
I actually like DOD cover. I have a personal connection with the album though. A holiday in Portugal and numerous bottles of wine were involved though. It was 2003 after all.
Anyway back to the new album.
We're on......Just under 2 weeks.

Last edited:
That wasn't a pissy thing, just an observation that we looped around to a standard (and understandably so) gripe! I think the Virtual XI cover is fine, especially the version without the football game. It looks really good in the full art before it was modified.

I can't find the image but someone will find it for me. It's not bad at all.

lol how in hell could anyone look at that blocky, clearly conceptual not ready for primetime, design and say, YES! boggles the mind. there's a story here and i hope some day it comes out because it is easily the ugliest album cover by just about ANY band EVER and when you consider the magnificent covers Maiden has produced...well, all the more tragic and comical ! it's abysmal. that's all you can say. great concept, HORRIBLE execution. and i'd think the artist himself would want the fans/world to know, hey, that's NOT my idea of a finished product lol
Dunno if there is a story, the artist was so horrified he requested to not have his name credited to it in the album notes hahahaha

I remember reading years ago the artist approaching Steve with the mock up of the direction / general idea he was going in and Steve loved what he saw and wanted it to stay exactly as it is ahaha. So it's doubtful he actually had anything else .
Interesting how Steve was drawn to the medieval/masquerade ball DOD album cover concept when the lyrics he’d (co)written to the song DOD detail a satanic ritual occurring by a bonfire in the swampy Everglades in Florida. Alligators and mosquitoes could have been on the cover. Kind of like he was transfixed by the imagery and forgot what the song was actually about.

Really looking forward to next weeks SSoaSS listening party for a few more hints. I’ve just listened to the replay of the Powerslave listening party. Good fun.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back