Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, first everyone complains that Maiden isn’t talking about the new album, now you’re getting hyped again about a final product that lives entirely within your fantasies. You’re going to be disappointed when they finally do come forward with that record and the cycle will go on.

How could I ever be disappointed with the release of a record I have been craving since September 2015? :huh: I need to have it, I need to listen to their 17th opus. About 1/4 of The Book Of Souls disappointed me a little bit, for instance, but when they release a brand new record they ALWAYS do the right thing, apart from how much I love the album.

They disappoint me when they use 3 or more (pandemic) years to complete an history tour, that's for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah but look at the artists like KISS or Ozzy they will finish with the big bang: farewell tour, documm, biopics and what do Maidens do. Nothing. They may decline and even disappear from genre's history 'cos their stupid management can't understand some things... Sad.

even disappear from genre's history
Ah yes, Iron Maiden will disappear from the history of heavy metal because they didn't put out their 17th studio album in a fashion considered to be timely by some fans of the band. Soon, we will be erasing their broad impact on the genre, the love for their 16 previous albums, all because this theoretical 17th album has not yet been released.

No, because their management doesn't make their Legacy relevant and attractive for the next generations of the listeners, just beers, tshirts and the next game.

No, because their management doesn't make their Legacy relevant and attractive for the next generations of the listeners, just beers, tshirts and the next game.
That's true. I myself have been a fan since the first album, when I was -4 years old. There are no young fans below the age of me. Certainly not @Diesel 11 nor @Night Prowler nor @Saapanael, all of whom are in their mid to late 50s.

Is it an irony? Maybe but must say their management doesn't do things right for the band.
It's extreme, cutting sarcasm.

Rod is managing a bunch of guys in their 60s the way they want to be managed. These aren't guys in their 20s and 30s anymore, you have to appreciate that they aren't going to be bouncing off the walls every day. They've done their time and are living off that.

For what is probably at least the twentieth time, I'll say I don't think Rod controls this band. I don't think they're brilliantly managed, I don't think Rod constantly has eyes everywhere* or is a genius entrepreneur. I do think the band are happy with what they get from their management.

*waves at Shacky sidekick or whoever it is that peers at fan pages once every six months/year

For what is probably at least the twentieth time, I'll say I don't think Rod controls this band. I don't think they're brilliantly managed, I don't think Rod constantly has eyes everywhere* or is a genius entrepreneur. I do think the band are happy with what they get from their management.

*waves at Shacky sidekick or whoever it is that peers at fan pages once every six months/year
Your post about Rod elsewhere was pointed out to me, and I think you are onto something about his old school style and the context it worked well in during the 70s and 80s. Also, to be fair to Rod, he is over 70 now so past his prime.

But I have concerns about Dave Shack: I wonder if it's like managing Manchester United while Alex Ferguson is still around in the 'god' position. Also concerned that Shack is married to a mainstream TV presenter who is far more famous than him, and Shack hasn't used the connections he obviously has to secure very much more for Maiden. See this article:

Even before the pandemic, between the first and second legs of the LOTB, the poverty of imagination in management was starting to show. Personally speaking, around early 2019 is when I felt the Maiden machine start to slide into its dotage (which is great word, by the way!).

But there is always hope: maybe the latest FC magazine will contain some signs of life regarding band and music-relevant content. We shall see.

I don't want to sound excessively negative by the way. I felt the entire period 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 was a really awesome time to be a Maiden fan: from how they handled the cancer scare so classily; how brave Bruce was; how the band rallied around him; how awesome BOS and its imagery and its tour was; and how jaw dropping the Legacy shows were in 2018... Brilliant stuff. But that is a hell of an exertion of effort for guys in their late 50s/early 60s, so maybe slowing down is basically essential now.

Wish they could just say this - but the evidence from the FC magazines is that Shack is NOT an articulate and talented writer and communicator, and I think this may be part of the the problem. In fact, his writing style and content aimed at us is often rather basic and inconsequential.

Last edited:
Ah yes, Iron Maiden will disappear from the history of heavy metal because they didn't put out their 17th studio album in a fashion considered to be timely by some fans of the band. Soon, we will be erasing their broad impact on the genre, the love for their 16 previous albums, all because this theoretical 17th album has not yet been released.

I'm laughing at the Ozzy and Kiss comments neither of them have released a decent record in about 3 decades

Your post about Rod elsewhere was pointed out to me, and I think you are onto something about his old school style and the context it worked well in during the 70s and 80s. Also, to be fair to Rod, he is over 70 now so past his prime.

But I have concerns about Dave Shack: I wonder if it's like managing Manchester United while Alex Ferguson is still around in the 'god' position. Also concerned that Shack is married to a mainstream TV presenter who is far more famous than him, and Shack hasn't used the connections he obviously has to secure very much more for Maiden. See this article:

Even before the pandemic, between the first and second legs of the LOTB, the poverty of imagination in management was starting to show. Personally speaking, around early 2019 is when I felt the Maiden machine start to slide into its dotage (which is great word, by the way!).

But there is always hope: maybe the latest FC magazine will contain some signs of life regarding band and music-relevant content. We shall see.

I don't want to sound excessively negative by the way. I felt the entire period 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 was a really awesome time to be a Maiden fan: from how they handled the cancer scare so classily; how brave Bruce was; how the band rallied around him; how awesome BOS and its imagery and its tour was; and how jaw dropping the Legacy shows were in 2018... Brilliant stuff. But that is a hell of an exertion of effort for guys in their late 50s/early 60s, so maybe slowing down is basically essential now.

Wish they could just say this - but the evidence from the FC magazines is that Shack is NOT an articulate and talented writer and communicator, and I think this may be part of the the problem. In fact, his writing style and content aimed at us is often rather basic and inconsequential.

I know it is a Monday morning and my brain is still probably trying to start working properly, but I cannot see what Dave Shack being married to someone more famous than him has to do with his ability to manage Maiden's activities effectively. It is not as if people who follow Nicki Chapman or interact with her would necessarily have an interest in Iron Maiden...

Possibly, but that's clearly untrue.

I've seen Ozzy and Kiss several times and their own setlists would seem to point that Ozzy thinks No More Tears was his last good album, while Kiss bar a few 80's singles probably think they haven't done anything since the 70's.

I think Maiden can't be done without at least a bunch of farewell dates,
I hope you're right, but Bruce said that Maiden will not do a Farewell tour (if I'm not mistaken) - any tour can be the last one.
...just postpone dates and album once again
^ This would be too much... If there are no concerts next year, cancel everything, release the album and hope/wait for a better times with tours.
documm, biopics
Maiden could release a definitive documentary about the band after their retirement. It would be the perfect time for that.
Rod is a big part of the overall success of Maiden (he even makes the setlists with Bruce and Steve nowadays). Maiden are one of the most successful bands and he has a role in that. Maybe not brilliantly, but Maiden are managed quite good during their whole career (given the success they have since their inception). And they are probably bigger now than in the 80's.

- the only mistake of Rod is not filming professionally the SOT tour... :p

I agree that the band is happy with what they get from their management. I don't know who controls the band in every aspect, but the chiefs are Steve and Rod, I guess.

Well, my point was really that the band seem happy with this low key and comparatively low pressure management. Probably part of Steve's whole keeping it relatively real and authentic approach.

I just don't think they'd be happy with a marketing whizz or entrepreneur with dollar/pound signs for eyes. They'll stick with the cheerful (and I'm guessing cheap) management setup.

Edit: would also be nice if they did slightly more, though, even something small. I watched Richie Faulkner play live on social media yesterday, taking requests from punters for well over an hour. It felt great real fan value. I paid to watch two online gigs last year, and both were very enjoyable and gained a load of kudos for the bands who did it.

Adrian's social media appearance a while back was very welcome. Apart from that, though, Maiden pretty much ignored a captive lockdown audience and took time off. Accepted they couldn't or didn't want to risk travelling, but Maiden disappeared at a time when even fishing out some of the video material that they've been sitting on for ages and throwing in an interview or two would have done wonders for their public profile.

Last edited:
I've always received the marketing side of Maiden's managing as a poor or just basic. Even in the 80s when you compare Maiden's management efforts on this field with an American mega stars as Ozzy, Kiss, Crue - Rod's "genial" moves were just a drop in the ocean. So same we could see now (since years I mean). Just look at their official site. Some buttons for sharing info don't work (!), Night of the Dead live album wasn't even published on discography page so far and the band's bio - updating is a way far from the current state. Album sales result was actual in 2014 and the band is 46 now. You can tell all of these're the details but the details are the evidence of your professional activity in fact. I can bet in Maiden could work with a way bigger management (such as Q Prime) they'd be even bigger commercially. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back