Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 18 months to record an album…I don't think so really. Perhaps they took that time to write, compile & develop ideas together, rehersals and trying to find the right sound in that barn without a producer, just the sound engineer. But all of that in the middle of the Blaze's motorbike accident, Steve's divorce…bad times. I can't imagine Dave and Nicko spending 18 months in England, because they lived in US.

https://maidenrevelations.com/2019/01/25/maiden-history-the-blaze-era-part-1-1994-1996/

Here is all you want to know about the time up to TXF

Blaze:
“Maiden recorded in a very different way to how I knew, a really old-school fashion, actually a way that I would never choose to record at all. I felt that the recording of The X Factor took far too long, over a year, and it just didn’t need to at all. We’d got the songs done and then there were a lot of technical problems in the studio, and then we’d break for this and break for that, and then we’d do other stuff and it just took too long, with weekends off and all that. I think, with the greatest respect to Steve, that there was a lot of paranoia in the band … a new singer, a new album, the whole thing, getting it right and so on.”

Last edited:
Blaze being as polite as he always is when trying to skirt around another questionable musical decision made by Steve during his time in the band. :D
That "questionable musical decision" ended as one the greatest albums of all time, so I'd like to hear more errors of that kind. And Steve is often criticized for working too fast on records and when he decides to really take time, he should get criticism too ? I don't think..

That "questionable musical decision" ended as one the greatest albums of all time, so I'd like to hear more errors of that kind. And Steve is often criticized for working too fast on records and when he decides to really take time, he should get criticism too ? I don't think..

By "one of the greatest albums of all time", I assume you mean Maiden's least-listenable, worst album.

Regardless of whether you think the album is excellent, there were questionable decisions made at the time.

- Steve producing everything himself
- The barn
- Removing most of the stage show (admittedly a little before Blaze's time)
- TAATG being 10 minutes long
- TAATG music video
- Blaze - some would say he should never have been chosen to replace Bruce in the first place, but if he was the right choice, there certainly were some songs he shouldn't have been made to attempt in their original key.

Blaze was the one who said that length of recording time was a bad idea, not me. I've just stated that he was typically polite about another thing in Maiden he disagreed with.

Lifeless production and Blaze’s poor singing doomed TXF, in my opinion. Musically it’s not bad, I admit. But sorry - Blaze can’t sing, at least by Maiden standards. Limited range, can’t stay in tune. Nice guy, though, and some of his solo work isn’t bad.

Anyways... back to the topic on hand!

I heard they were recording a new album... that's just a rumor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back