Iron Maiden studio album 17 rumours and speculations

Status
Not open for further replies.
We respect your opinion.
I think you forgot the ironic air quotes on this one.
Stop being mean about Janick.
No. :p
If you don't like Janick in Maiden, after 28 years maybe it's time to get over it.
Sorry that someone disagreeing with your point of view apparently annoys you to this degree. Condescension may make you feel better, but it won’t change my perspective.

Janick is consistently sloppy and self-plagiarizing, and has only contributed a handful of strong songs to the catalog. Maiden’s best work happened before he arrived, and their worst work happened when he had the most influence. Bruce’s worst solo album was the one featuring Janick as the sole guitarist and co-songwriter. These are not coincidences. If you can’t accept this after 28 years, perhaps you should take your own advice...?

Janick is consistently sloppy and self-plagiarizing, and has only contributed a handful of strong songs to the catalog. Maiden’s best work happened before he arrived, and their worst work happened when he had the most influence. Bruce’s worst solo album was the one featuring Janick as the sole guitarist and co-songwriter. These are not coincidences. If you can’t accept this after 28 years, perhaps you should take your own advice...?
Every single aspect of this comment is a matter of opinion.

Lord Of The Flies and Gates Of Tomorrow spring to mind
This and the acoustic intros, certainly.

Self-plagiarism is fine so long as the artist knows how to repackage the same kinda thing in an interesting way. AC/DC and Sabaton are good examples of this. Early Slayer, too, but the exact same beat in every song gets old after a while.

I doubt people would have much of a problem with those opinions either if they weren't repeated over and over every time the topic of Janick Gers as a guitarist in Iron Maiden is brought up on these forums.
And perhaps there’s a reason this happens. Just sayin’.

There are people who are fans first, who see any negative commentary as an assault on the thing they love; and then there are people who think critically first, and become fans when the output of a group consistently pleases them. People in the second group are more tolerant of criticism because they don’t interpret it as an attack, and instead see it as a natural part of experiencing art. Topics like this make it clear who is in which group.

I’m a fan of Iron Maiden because they pretty consistently put out music that I like a great deal. That doesn’t mean I should have to drink the kool-aid and pretend that Janick is really great when from my point of view he’s clearly not. And expressing that point of view shouldn’t automatically trigger a fanatic pile-on, though everyone is fully within their rights to do so, of course.

And perhaps there’s a reason this happens. Just sayin’.

There are people who are fans first, who see any negative commentary as an assault on the thing they love; and then there are people who think critically first, and become fans when the output of a group consistently pleases them. People in the second group are more tolerant of criticism because they don’t interpret it as an attack, and instead see it as a natural part of experiencing art. Topics like this make it clear who is in which group.

I’m a fan of Iron Maiden because they pretty consistently put out music that I like a great deal. That doesn’t mean I should have to drink the kool-aid and pretend that Janick is really great when from my point of view he’s clearly not. And expressing that point of view shouldn’t automatically trigger a fanatic pile-on, though everyone is fully within their rights to do so, of course.
The problem is your reason to not like Janick. You think Maiden wrote better music without Janick, and when he joined they wrote bad music. And this is his fault. How about Steve, who basically made every major decision back then? And then you had a super inspired Bruce Dickinson they had to deal with as well. Janick may have written his stinkers, but look at what Steve, Bruce and Dave contributed.

You also hold it against him that he copies himself, but you don't hold this against the other members. Steve even copies other artists, Adrian too! But this doesn't seem to be a problem. You didn't even have an example of Janick copying himself. Regarding sloppiness, what do you think of Dave these days? He is more sloppy than Janick.

I will step into this by saying that I don’t like Janick as guitarist and what annoys me the most is that his solos are sloppy as hell. However, I don’t see Maiden without him now..

Janick is far and away imperfect, but he brings a life to the band that wasn’t there before.

Lord Of The Flies and Gates Of Tomorrow spring to mind
This and the acoustic intros, certainly.
Really? Because a song has an acoustic intro it is now self plagiarism? The only thing Gates of Tomorrow and Lord of the Flies have in common are the picking style of the intro riff, but the riffs themselves are in different keys, different notes, and use different rhythms and accents. How is this “objective self plagiarism.” How about Steve Harris recycling the same chord progression. Is that not self plagiarism? What about actual plagiarism from Steve and Adrian (cited above)?

Nothing wrong with criticism, I don’t even really like Janick much as a guitarist. That being said, it seems a bit off to push things that are subjective opinion at best as objective facts and then complain that you’re being called out for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back