Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

I find a lot of the songs listed here to be surprising.

Iron Maiden: None
Killers: Drifter (There's a few other songs I don't care much for including: Twilight Zone, Innocent Exile and Purgatory)
The Number of the Beast: None
Piece of Mind: Quest for Fire (I can't say Sun and Steel is high on my list of favorite tunes either)
Powerslave: Back in the Village (I can't say the Duelist does much for me)
Somewhere in Time: Deja Vu (I don't like the album version of Heaven Can Wait, it's so much better live when they cut out some of the repetitive chorus and speed it up)
7th Son: None
No Prayer: Hooks in You
Fear of the Dark: Fear is the Key, Wasting Love
X Factor: None that I can think of, but there are some lesser quality songs like Fortunes of War
Virtual XI: Futureal, The Angel and the Gambler, The Educated Fool, Don't Look into the Eyes of a Stranger, Lighting Strikes Twice, When Two Worlds Collide
Brave New World: Dream of Mirrors
Dance of Death: Face in the Sand, Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier (I have to comment on it having the Worst Artwork Ever for a Maiden Album)
AMOLAD: None, though These Colors Don't Run is very close to being disliked
Final Frontier: Satellite 15 (Many other songs don't seem as good as AMOLAD overall and tend to go on for too long)
The Book of Souls: The River Runs Deep (Tears of a Clown and Man of Sorrows are close to being disliked)

Songs that are mentioned quite a bit that I personally love:
Invaders
Weekend Warrior

Other Thoughts:
The Number of the Beast would have been an absolutely perfect album if Total Eclipse was placed on it instead of Gangland. While I don't dislike Gangland, it's still not a favorite song of mine.

I'd love to hear a number of songs done live that didn't go over well on the original albums. I remember hating Heaven Can Wait until I heard it live on the B-side. Where Eagles Dare is so much better like than it is on the studio recording as well, especially the unofficial live recording from the Piece of Mind tour.

I find a lot of the songs listed here to be surprising.

Iron Maiden: None
Killers: Drifter (There's a few other songs I don't care much for including: Twilight Zone, Innocent Exile and Purgatory)
The Number of the Beast: None
Piece of Mind: Quest for Fire (I can't say Sun and Steel is high on my list of favorite tunes either)
Powerslave: Back in the Village (I can't say the Duelist does much for me)
Somewhere in Time: Deja Vu (I don't like the album version of Heaven Can Wait, it's so much better live when they cut out some of the repetitive chorus and speed it up)
7th Son: None
No Prayer: Hooks in You
Fear of the Dark: Fear is the Key, Wasting Love
X Factor: None that I can think of, but there are some lesser quality songs like Fortunes of War
Virtual XI: Futureal, The Angel and the Gambler, The Educated Fool, Don't Look into the Eyes of a Stranger, Lighting Strikes Twice, When Two Worlds Collide
Brave New World: Dream of Mirrors
Dance of Death: Face in the Sand, Gates of Tomorrow and New Frontier (I have to comment on it having the Worst Artwork Ever for a Maiden Album)
AMOLAD: None, though These Colors Don't Run is very close to being disliked
Final Frontier: Satellite 15 (Many other songs don't seem as good as AMOLAD overall and tend to go on for too long)
The Book of Souls: The River Runs Deep (Tears of a Clown and Man of Sorrows are close to being disliked)

Songs that are mentioned quite a bit that I personally love:
Invaders
Weekend Warrior

Other Thoughts:
The Number of the Beast would have been an absolutely perfect album if Total Eclipse was placed on it instead of Gangland. While I don't dislike Gangland, it's still not a favorite song of mine.

I'd love to hear a number of songs done live that didn't go over well on the original albums. I remember hating Heaven Can Wait until I heard it live on the B-side. Where Eagles Dare is so much better like than it is on the studio recording as well, especially the unofficial live recording from the Piece of Mind tour.

That's interesting about HCW - I've always preferred the studio version...especially since Janick has taken over the solo (I don't want to rekindle the tired Janick bashing argument as I love the guy, but I can't stand his random sloppy noodling on this one as H's version did so much for the song IMHO).

Invaders is awesome.

In VAY ders

Reminds me a lot of Heaven Can WAY-AY-Ate

Both make me cringe and ruin otherwise decent songs.

Invaders rules. In my top ten "Steve songs" ever. that bass line is off the rails. Nothing negative to say about this rocker.

Flat out dislike? This is a Maiden forum, right? I don't think I really dislike anything by Maiden. Although never really liked Wrathchild or Prodigal Son from the early days. Didn't really like Hooks in You or Bring Your Daughter either. OK, that's four I don't really like.

That's interesting about HCW - I've always preferred the studio version...especially since Janick has taken over the solo (I don't want to rekindle the tired Janick bashing argument as I love the guy, but I can't stand his random sloppy noodling on this one as H's version did so much for the song IMHO).

Invaders is awesome.

I couldn't remember the single last night, but the B-side of the Clairvoyant single has my favorite rendition of Heaven Can Wait. For some reason I really like Bruce's babbling intro to the song that goes something like this "All right, here's a song off the Somewhere in Time Album by now, for all those wondering around with little wastes of nothing wondering what's going to become of themselves, a little choice between heaven and a little bit of hell, ba, ba, ba bah...song called Heaven...Can...Wait." The 7th Son live album (Maiden England '88) features a song from another night at the same location and Bruce has a short intro line for it. Both songs were recorded before Jannick Gers so his noodling isn't present. The other live renditions have Jannick in them, being from A Real Live One, Live at Donnington and Flight 666.

I couldn't remember the single last night, but the B-side of the Clairvoyant single has my favorite rendition of Heaven Can Wait. For some reason I really like Bruce's babbling intro to the song that goes something like this "All right, here's a song off the Somewhere in Time Album by now, for all those wondering around with little wastes of nothing wondering what's going to become of themselves, a little choice between heaven and a little bit of hell, ba, ba, ba bah...song called Heaven...Can...Wait." The 7th Son live album (Maiden England '88) features a song from another night at the same location and Bruce has a short intro line for it. Both songs were recorded before Jannick Gers so his noodling isn't present. The other live renditions have Jannick in them, being from A Real Live One, Live at Donnington and Flight 666.

I do like some of Bruce's intro bits to HCW - they make the intro more epic (and the intro is pretty rocking live). I don't immediately recall the Clairvoyant single version, so I'll dig that one out. H's bluesy fills at the intro and his solo are 'icing on the cake' for me. I tried to give the Flight 666 version a go the other day and it was working for me until the second solo.

And that's not even the worst part, it's that Saturday morning cartoon power-up run on the guitars and bass that really make it awful.

LOL - yeah, that 'power-up' run is a little cheesy/cartoonish (along with the lyrics/vocal performance), but for me, that fits in with the whole 80s Maiden escapist vibe.

And I might add...it's quite awesome to blast Invaders with the windows down while waiting at a stop light for all the world to hear....power-up run and all:D.

Just to make one point...
Both songs were recorded before Jannick Gers so his noodling isn't present.
Maybe you didn't intent this, but your use of the word "noodling" suggests you think Janick was just randomly improvising while Bruce was talking. This is in the original. On, for example, ME '88, Adrian just doesn't bother playing it.

Running free
Invaders
Run to the hills
Heaven can wait
Moonchild
Bring your daughter
Tailgunner
The apparition
The angel and the gambler
The Nomad
Satellite 15
When the river runs deep

I've never cared a lot for anything that happens after the bombastic midpiece, also in the original. I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if the song would end after the last Who ho ho ho hooo ho ho, followed by one last hoooooo, kind of like the end of Ghost of the Navigator, starting @ 6:18 in this clip
or else a more mysterious or eerie end.

I'm not kidding. Less (meh) is more. Dave's solo is twice as fascinating as Adrian's anyway. And afterwards I do not per se need to hear another longwinding verse and another slightly irritating chorus.

Heaven Can Wait is my least favorite song on Somewhere in Time. Not sure why Steve loves it so much and has played it on so many tours, while so much of that album hasn't been played in ages or at all.

Why in the world has Caught Somewhere in Time never been brought back? It would be great as an encore opener.

That said, I like the live version of Heaven Can Wait much better than the studio version. I admit it's fun and contagious when they bring all the crew and fan club members (or whoever they are) onstage for the whoa-oh-oh part. The crowd gets into it then, and so do I.

Back