Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

Good to know and good for you. As for Quest for fire although cheesy it doesn't have anything wrong musicaly.

I just find it funny that you're essentially calling people wrong for forming a different opinion than you on arguably the most subjective form of art that there is.

Gk1 said:
Everything that was the essence of Maiden's music back in the day is for the most part missing from Steve's new songs. It is only hardcore fans who would like anything new.
1. Again, this is purely your opinion. This is not an established fact, and it's not even an opinion which people other than you generally seem to have.
2. Either there's absolute millions of hardcore fans, or the casual fans are deluded enough to keep buying the new material, judging by the success of the recent albums. At least our delusion is widespread!

Sure, there's lots of facts around music - the notes things are played in, the factual, referenced sources for the lyrics.

What people like is never, ever a fact. If Maiden's hardcore fans are the only ones who like music, I guess they must have a lot of hardcore fans, based on this #1 album that they just sold. Or the previous one.

There are tastes and there are facts.
And, pray tell, what are these "facts" you speak of?

10 points if you give me an actual "fact", and not just your own personal opinion that you're attempting to pass off as "fact".

Let's see:

1) Over the last 15 years he can use three guitarists and we are yet to hear a 3 guitar harmony in his personal songs. Most of the times we get a single guitar melody with chords underneath them. Back in the day the songs were filled with harmonies. Now we get Jan playing a guitar line.

2) Steve's bass was doing so many beautiful things under the guitars. Now he just plays chords or single notes for the most part.

3) We are introduced to 2-3 min intros where the only change might be a little different drum beat or a guitar playing a chord louder or something like that. Back in the day we could barely hear a guitar playing the same thing for more than a few bars. now we get Bruce going over the single guitar line for a couple minutes.

I understand people may like the new songs but musically and technically they seem to be inferior to the old ones. I think that it is a shame to have three guitars and most of the time have them play the same thing as most of the times in the old song each guitar did its' own thing.

Let's see:

1) Over the last 15 years he can use three guitarists and we are yet to hear a 3 guitar harmony in his personal songs. Most of the times we get a single guitar melody with chords underneath them. Back in the day the songs were filled with harmonies. Now we get Jan playing a guitar line.

2) Steve's bass was doing so many beautiful things under the guitars. Now he just plays chords or single notes for the most part.

3) We are introduced to 2-3 min intros where the only change might be a little different drum beat or a guitar playing a chord louder or something like that. Back in the day we could barely hear a guitar playing the same thing for more than a few bars. now we get Bruce going over the single guitar line for a couple minutes.

I understand people may like the new songs but musically and technically they seem to be inferior to the old ones. I think that it is a shame to have three guitars and most of the time have them play the same thing as most of the times in the old song each guitar did its' own thing.

Still absolutely opinion. More notes/harmonies doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Besides, what matters in the grand scheme of things is how a song hits you on an emotional level. Everybody relates to music differently. If it was strictly about technical precision, then music wouldn't be considered a subjective art form at all. Quite the opposite, actually. At the end of the day, it's how a song makes you feel that counts. Perhaps you're intrigued by the technical wizardry of a certain song. Perhaps you're moved by the simplicity of a song. It's all relative.

That's why it annoys/bothers/frustrates me when somebody tries to cement their opinion on a completely subjective subject as fact. You don't know how this particular song speaks to me. You're ignorant as to why I consider this song to be "better" than this song. It's something that you simply cannot comprehend, because you're not me. Same goes for anybody else.

We all have our own reasons for liking what we do. That is the only undisputed truth in regards to this entire topic. You're free to offer to offer differing opinions in regards to your opinion of a certain song, but keep in mind that they are YOUR opinions.

All a matter of taste except number 2 and I'm happy to hear that Steve has woken up somewhat on this album in that regard :applause:

Still absolutely opinion. More notes/harmonies doesn't necessarily mean "better".

Besides, what matters in the grand scheme of things is how a song hits you on an emotional level. Everybody relates to music differently. If it was strictly about technical precision, then music wouldn't be considered a subjective art form at all. Quite the opposite, actually. At the end of the day, it's how a song makes you feel that counts. Perhaps you're intrigued by the technical wizardry of a certain song. Perhaps you're moved by the simplicity of a song. It's all relative.

That's why it annoys/bothers/frustrates me when somebody tries to cement their opinion on a completely subjective subject as fact. You don't know how this particular song speaks to me. You're ignorant as to why I consider this song to be "better" than this song. It's something that you simply cannot comprehend, because you're not me. Same goes for anybody else.

We all have our own reasons for liking what we do. That is the only undisputed truth in regards to this entire topic. You're free to offer to offer differing opinions in regards to your opinion of a certain song, but keep in mind that they are YOUR opinions.

Dude do you even read what I'm saying?! I said that there is an underuse of the guitars and that technically the songs used to be more intriguing. WTF?! Maiden's trendmark used to be the galloping bass and the double guitars,are we listening to different albums or something?! Are we losing our freaking heads here? Are we saying that having Nicko play the same beat for 7 minures is better than having him play the beautiful drumming he does on most of the songs back in the day? Are we saying that having Dave play a single chord for half a minute is better that having riffs and twin melodies?!

Last edited:
Dude do you even read what I'm saying?! I said that there is an underuse of the guitars and that technically the songs used to be more intriguing. WTF?! Maiden's trendmark used to be the galloping bass and the double guitars,are we listening to different albums or something?! Are we losing our freaking heads here? Are we saying that having Nicko play the same beat for 7 minures is better than having him play the beautiful drumming he does on most of the songs back in the day? Are we saying that hacing Dave olay a single chord for half a minute is better that having riffs and twin melodies?!

Does it sound better? This is the ultimate question. There are a hell of a lot of bands who have much more technical prowess than Maiden have ever had who, frankly, don't sound good at all.

Maiden are so good because they are fantastic songwriters. This much, at least in my opinion, has not changed. Their songs might not show the same technical chops they once did but they are still as enjoyable to listen to and that's what matters.

Does it sound better? This is the ultimate question. There are a hell of a lot of bands who have much more technical prowess than Maiden have ever had who, frankly, don't sound good at all.

Maiden are so good because they are fantastic songwriters. This much, at least in my opinion, has not changed. Their songs might not show the same technical chops they once did but they are still as enjoyable to listen to and that's what matters.

I think the songs still have some very strong and emotional parts. I just feel that a lot of the detailing in their music is no longer there. Or at least it is coming back on the last albums thanks to H.

Gk1 said:
Are we saying that having Nicko play the same beat for 7 minures is better than having him play the beautiful drumming he does on most of the songs back in the day?
Personally, I think that is a ludicrous and inaccurate characterization of Nicko's performance on recent albums.

WTF?! Maiden's trendmark used to be the galloping bass and the double guitars,are we listening to different albums or something?!
Yes, clearly nothing shows evolution of skill better than just doing the same thing over and over again.

Dude do you even read what I'm saying?! I said that there is an underuse of the guitars and that technically the songs used to be more intriguing. WTF?! Maiden's trendmark used to be the galloping bass and the double guitars,are we listening to different albums or something?! Are we losing our freaking heads here?
Some of us are, clearly.

Dude as I already said in my previous post some of the detailing is back in the music. In my opinion it has to do with the more complex riffing that H writes.I feel he is pulling Nicko out of his sleep lately.

I am sorry mate but reducing the amount of harmonies does not seem as evolution to me. I mean the melodies are still similar anyway.

If people prefer a stripped down song is just fine but how can one argue on the guitar burst of the harmonies and riffs in If eternity should fail? Doesn't it sound more "musical" to you?

Why don't we just all chill and enjoy the new album?
It's been a long time coming around.
This is 2015! It's not 1983 anymore.
They are not going to sit down and write POM2.
We should enjoy it while it lasts.:)

Dude as I already said in my previous post some of the detailing is back in the music. In my opinion it has to do with the more complex riffing that H writes.I feel he is pulling Nicko out of his sleep lately.

I am sorry mate but reducing the amount of harmonies does not seem as evolution to me. I mean the melodies are still similar anyway.

If people prefer a stripped down song is just fine but how can one argue on the guitar burst of the harmonies and riffs in If eternity should fail? Doesn't it sound more "musical" to you?

You're still looking at it from a purely technical standpoint. There are instances where a stripped down approach may actually be preferable to a multilayered approach. It's about serving the song.

I'm not trying to convince you that you're wrong. Quite frankly, I'm above doing something like that. I'm simply saying that there are perfectly legitimate reasons as to why certain people may enjoy modern Maiden as much, if not more, than classic era Maiden, even if they are reasons that you're not able to fully comprehend.

Well, a striped down approach would have worked just fine if Maiden did not promote their music as complex, progressive and with "a lot going on in there". Cause it takes a child to tell that in al ums like SSOASS and SIT there were 10 times as much density in half the length.

Why don't we just all chill and enjoy the new album?
It's been a long time coming around.
This is 2015! It's not 1983 anymore.
They are not going to sit down and write POM2.
We should enjoy it while it lasts.:)

This has nothing to do with what we are saying mate! I quite enjoy the album! It seems no one is paying attention in my appreciation posts.

This has nothing to do with what we are saying mate! I quite enjoy the album! It seems no one is paying attention in my appreciation posts.

That's cool.
From what I can glean you are suggesting that Steve's newest songs especially have basic structure and few guitar harmonies.
The one thing I would say is that he has written scores of Maiden songs.
As a musician myself I can testify to the fact that it very difficult to come up with new songs after having written so many.
You get that initial intuitive song writing and then the creative process becomes a bit more difficult.
It doesn't mean that it still can't be good though.

Well, a striped down approach would have worked just fine if Maiden did not promote their music as complex, progressive and with "a lot going on in there". Cause it takes a child to tell that in al ums like SSOASS and SIT there were 10 times as much density in half the length.
It seems to me that it was mostly various reviewers that were claiming the material was "complex".

Progressive can mean many different things.

And 10x the density? Really?

Really?

:facepalm:

Back