Iron Maiden songs that you flat out dislike?

The short version of TAATG is funny to listen. Even with those tacky keyboards. It seems like a theme song of a game show.

But for me is still the worst song Iron Maiden has ever made.

The lyrics do not repeat, they alternate [EDIT: not in words, but in meaning]:
Don't you think I'm a saviour? Don't you think I can save you? Don't you think I can save your life?
vs.
Don't think I'm a savior. Don't think I can save you. Don't think I can save your life.

Once you grok that the song improves.

Last edited:
The lyrics do not repeat, they alternate:
Don't you think I'm a saviour? Don't you think I can save you? Don't you think I can save your life?
vs.
Don't think I'm a savior. Don't think I can save you. Don't think I can save your life.

Once you grok that the song improves.

...no they don't.

Trying to reason on AATG being a good song is pure madness.
Most people agree that it is a poor song.

I think it's not a great Iron Maiden song, and a very large departure from the "Maiden" sound. But I still enjoy it. Great driving song.

I guess the song is not that disturbing now that VXI is not the last (most recent) Iron Maiden album. Back in the day this song was just embarrassing to say the least. And unfortunately this album did more or less show that Steve lost the ability to write any decent song structures.

The Angel and the Gambler has cringeworthy keyboards, sounds incredibly cheesy overall, has very little stellar musical ideas (if any) for a 10 minute song and yes, it's annoyingly repetitive. It's also too "happy" sounding, which I don't like in heavy metal. I don't mean happy in an "uplifting" way, an uplifting but not really happy sounding Maiden song is one of their great works (Wasted Years). But happy in a funny kind of way.

I guess the song is not that disturbing now that VXI is not the last (most recent) Iron Maiden album. Back in the day this song was just embarrassing to say the least. And unfortunately this album did more or less show that Steve lost the ability to write any decent song structures.
Or, you know, instead of proving that Steve suddenly and permanently lost the ability to write good songs, maybe he just wrote a few weak songs and did a poor job of producing the record. But nah, it's not like he's written or co-written anything even remotely good at all for the reunion albums.

Last edited:
Or, you know, instead of proving that Steve suddenly and permanently lost the ability to write good songs, maybe he just wrote a few weak songs and did a poor job of producing the record. But nah, it's not like he's written or co-written anything even remotely good at all for the reunion albums.

He actually hasn't produced anything up to his old standards for over 20 + years. This of course is not a conversation that can be held in a forum full of people that are die hard fans for the most part. All I said was that Steve is not that good with structures anymore.

He actually hasn't produced anything up to his old standards for over 20 + years. This of course is not a conversation that can be held in a forum full of people that are die hard fans for the most part. All I said was that Steve is not that good with structures anymore.
The fact we're fans (so are you, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure how this is a relevant distinction,) doesn't mean that posters who disagree with you lack critical thinking skills or are "forcing" themselves to love songs. Personally I think the idea that Steve's "old standards" were inherently better is nostalgic nonsense. But that's me; Dance of Death was my first Maiden album, so I've always liked this lineup at least as much as any other.

The fact we're fans (so are you, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure how this is a relevant distinction,) doesn't mean that posters who disagree with you lack critical thinking skills or are "forcing" themselves to love songs.

I disagree.

EDIT

Steve once did songs like Infinite dreams,now he is doing songs like WTWWB and TRATB.
It is only in the Maiden forums where people would say the new songs are better.
Everything that was the essence of Maiden's music back in the day is for the most part missing from Steve's new songs. It is only hardcore fans who would like anything new.

So now we have single guitar melodies, neverending intros, repeated parts, non imaginative bass and drum lines, songs with double the length and half as many riffs...and we still love them. This is just not logical.

Last edited:

The idea that Steve is not that good at structuring songs anymore is incredulous.
Of course you are entitled to your opinion but I must disagree with it on this occasion.
I can point to numerous examples of excellent song writing by Steve since the reunion however WTWWB will suffice.
It's one of my favourite Maiden songs and as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with the structure of the song.
It's typical Steve Harris song writing.
If you don't like it, then it's your choice.

I disagree.

EDIT

Steve once did songs like Infinite dreams,now he is doing songs like WTWWB and TRATB.
It is only in the Maiden forums where people would say the new songs are better.
Everything that was the essence of Maiden's music back in the day is for the most part missing from Steve's new songs. It is only hardcore fans who would like anything new.

So now we have single guitar melodies, neverending intros, repeated parts, non imaginative bass and drum lines, songs with double the length and half as many riffs...and we still love them. This is just not logical.

You speak the truth, man. Comparing Infinite Dreams and When The Wild Wind Blows is like comparing refined sugar and pure manure.
The latter is a song I dislike to be topical here.

The band as a whole is summed up in this song and Phantom of the Opera, in my opinion.

is it "summed up", or is it "least common denominator"?

I like The Trooper, but even more some one-of-a-kind songs that are in some way unique in their catalog

I disagree.

EDIT

Your reactions to people having different opinions than you regarding Maiden amuse me to no end.

Incidentally, Steve also once did songs like Quest for Fire, but I don't see you mentioning that.

Your reactions to people having different opinions than you regarding Maiden amuse me to no end.

Incidentally, Steve also once did songs like Quest for Fire, but I don't see you mentioning that.

Good to know and good for you. As for Quest for fire although cheesy it doesn't have anything wrong musicaly.

Back