IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Voted for For The Greater Good Of God, The Legacy, Fear Is The Key, Childhood's End, The Fugitive, Chains Of Misery, The Apparition and Weekend Warrior.

yd5A5eb.png

One minute off. Weak.

I can’t see this as the riskiest album when it’s followed by X Factor. If anything, it sounds like the band desperately trying to hold on.

I guess I meant risky in terms of a consistent sound. There’s no cohesion. The X Factor is a risk in terms of the lineup and lack of fun, but the songs are nearly identical in mood and soundscapes. It’s definitely desperate.

I don’t think it’s risky, or desperate, I think it’s a band that doesn’t really know what it wants to be and therefore indulged each member in whatever direction they were going. It was produced well from a sound perspective, but not from the perspective of cohesiveness and centredness. It’s like a last-days Beatles album in the sense that each member was doing his own thing, with little regard to the others, with some of it working really well and some of it missing utterly.

For a band like Maiden, who has such a distinct musical goal with everything and is completely rigid in focusing on “the Maiden (re: Steve) sound”, I think allowing every member to do whatever they want is certainly risky. Also desperate cause it’s just Steve throwing his hands in the air and saying, “I don’t care as long as it’s successful!”

I guess I meant risky in terms of a consistent sound. There’s no cohesion. The X Factor is a risk in terms of the lineup and lack of fun, but the songs are nearly identical in mood and soundscapes. It’s definitely desperate.

For a band like Maiden, who has such a distinct musical goal with everything and is completely rigid in focusing on “the Maiden (re: Steve) sound”, I think allowing every member to do whatever they want is certainly risky. Also desperate cause it’s just Steve throwing his hands in the air and saying, “I don’t care as long as it’s successful!”

OK, I see that. I guess when I read risky or desperate, I thought that implies vision or intent. I think this album smacks more of Steve indulging the others. Throwing up his hands works for me, although I think the motivation is more “if that‘s what makes people happy” as opposed to “as long as it’s successful.”

From Here To Eternity
Fear Is The Key
Childhood's End
The Fugitive
Chains Of Misery
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

Not really much that can be said that hasn't already by others. There's certainly parts of these songs I enjoy, but as a whole the songs are pretty shit.

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 14:
The Apparition - 29 votes
Fear Is The Key - 27 votes
Weekend Warrior - 26 votes
Chains Of Misery - 24 votes
The Fugitive - 19 votes

Voting to promote Afraid To Shoot Strangers, Judas, and Fear of the Dark.

The Legacy
Everything left from FOTD except Be Quick and Judas

Back