IRON MAIDEN REFERENDUM 2020: Results -> Hallowed Be Thy Name wins for the 5th time!

Are you satisfied with the results?

• Total voters
Thousand Suns
Lord of Light
Be Quick or Be Dead
From Here to Eternity
Fear is the Key
Chains of Misery
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

The Legacy
Fear Is The Key
Childhood’s End
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

...and more to come on FOTD, but I think I only get 9 votes this time, so I need to prioritize...

At least the X Factor has good songs...

Still voting for FTGGOG and Lord of Light, never know when one of the others will get stealth assassinated.

From Here to Eternity - fun song but I'm just mass voting for the ones I don't really have a connection to. It's more memorable than some of the others here. (See: the next entry)

The Fugitive - it's maybe goodish but wow is it forgettable. Doesn't grab my attention..

Chains of Misery - another "rocker" like From Here to Eternity, probably weaker. I really don't care.

The Apparition - we need no introduction do we? Not actually "the worst song" though...

Weekend Warrior - I used to really like this one, and I truly still think it's pretty great, it somehow has more life in it than the above songs. It eventually leveled for me though so I still vote for it.

Now, allow me to weep in a corner lamenting the inevitable, untimely Denise of Fear is the Key.

It's obvious that ATSS and FOTD will be promoted. But can we just promote The Fugitive for once? Instead of Judas Be My Guide! Is that so much to ask?

Lord of Light and the Fear of the Dark chaff:
From Here to Eternity - just not fun at all. Bad lyrics, bad sound, one of the few Iron Maiden songs that I think is actively bad.
Fear is the Key - not as bad as the above, but not good.
Chains of Misery - terrible hallelujah chorus.
The Apparition - the actively worst Iron Maiden song. Just dreadful, dreadful lyrics, dreadful sound.
Weekend Warrior - I actually like the music, but dislike the lyrics and Bruce on it.

Voting for:
• The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
• Lord Of Light
• Fear Is The Key
• Childhood’s End
• Wasting Love
• The Fugitive
• Chains Of Misery

Sad jams for The Apparition. :(

Not only is it justified that AMOLAD is still here, I think it should've arrived at this round with two more songs. (Colours and Longest)

Reactions: Jer
Going backwards on this survivor has been really interesting, because there's such a huge tonal change between The X Factor and Fear of the Dark. I mean, just a massive, massive swing in everything. We go from this deep, brooding voice to a raspy, worn out tenor trying to brutalize everything down. We go from this dark, atmospheric doom-like album to something that sounds like a cheap photocopy of glam stapled onto a NWOBHM root. We go from long and intricate songs to naff like The Apparition and Chains of Misery. It really shows that leap in inverse, and it's the biggest such leap in the Iron Maiden catalogue, by far.

Not only is it justified that AMOLAD is still here, I think it should've arrived at this round with two more songs. (Colours and Longest)

Oh, I’m not critiquing it, just interesting. AMOLAD is my third favorite album behind BNW and SSOASS, its just interesting to see this happening in reverse.

Going backwards on this survivor has been really interesting, because there's such a huge tonal change between The X Factor and Fear of the Dark. I mean, just a massive, massive swing in everything. We go from this deep, brooding voice to a raspy, worn out tenor trying to brutalize everything down. We go from this dark, atmospheric doom-like album to something that sounds like a cheap photocopy of glam stapled onto a NWOBHM root. We go from long and intricate songs to naff like The Apparition and Chains of Misery. It really shows that leap in inverse, and it's the biggest such leap in the Iron Maiden catalogue, by far.

This is a fair, honest, and true observation. I’m interested to see what the FOTD/NPFOTD -> SSOASS or TNOTB -> Killers change looks like in retrospective.

NPFTD > SSOASS is the other big one I can think of. As we've talked about elsewhere, these steps backwards have felt very much like we're picking through history and like logical steps, one after the other. The leap into FOTD was the first really, really big leap we made, where it felt like the band just completely changed directions. And it's not just Blaze - everything changed. No Bruce, sure. But also no Martin Birch, for example. No more recording in professional studios. The rise of Janick as a contributing songwriter. The differentiation in Steve's desire to experiment with more progressive sounds.

I think when we step back to Killers, we'll find that 1) Adrian and Martin are still there, meaning a softer "landing", if you will and 2) the songwriting has been progressively getting stripped down as we move from SIT through those earlier albums that it should feel like a progression.

Still, it's an interesting way to consider it.

Not to nitpick, but Fear of the Dark was also not recorded in a pro studio, but Steve Harris’ barn, like all 90s Maiden albums. Otherwise I agree, a lot changed besides Bruce leaving.

Killers is to NOTB as Virtual is to Brave New World. A lot of the foundation is there, the difference is mostly in the vocalist. I don’t think it will be as jarring.

Fear Is The Key
The Apparition
Weekend Warrior

yi1wT33.jpg

Eliminated after Round 13:
Judgement Of Heaven - 18 votes

:(... great song!

Back