Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I liked that too, though it's a bit negated by Adrian's two grand Jacksons and Dave's custom shop Fenders. :p
For me it was even better - if Janick Gers from Iron Maiden can go on a stage where others plays custom shop guitars with epiphone what is your excuse?

Finally an interview with Dave about Senjutsu... (let's hope with Steve is on the way too).

''We still always want to create new melodies, new ideas, new songs to try a make each album a little bit different, but it’s still got to have the identity of Iron Maiden in there. Even if the songs are nine or ten minutes long, they still have to have that stamp of Iron Maiden on them.
With each song on the album, we wanted everything to be harmonized and for the solos to really come leaping out. So with each solo, we tried to work it into the song, so instead of just having it be there for the hell of it, we tried to compliment the song with the different notes we chose. So some of the solos are spontaneous and were made up on the spot and that can be really good, while others we had to work on a little bit. As far any particular solos that are favourites, over the past few records, I’ve kind of enjoyed the big picture more than anything''.

''Previously every 18 months, you know, we'd have a new album and tour it and then we’d do a best-of tour and that would see out three years for us''.

His favorite guitar riffs/parts are: the intro of HBTN and his solo in ''Killers'' (he loves this song).

The Beatles were the first band he was a fan of.

I agree with him. I own a 2010 LP Traditional and a Jackson AS SDX. Guess which one is my main guitar...

With a good set of pickups and good setup, a lot of lower range guitars outperform most of the higher range ones.
It's amazing how far guitar production has come in the last 20 years. You can get an outstanding guitar for 1000 USD or less, and any more than that is diminishing returns, usually because they're custom shop or hand made.

It's amazing how far guitar production has come in the last 20 years. You can get an outstanding guitar for 1000 USD or less, and any more than that is diminishing returns, usually because they're custom shop or hand made.
Full agree - I remember when 16 years ago I bought my first cheap guitar it was nowhere near guitar in same price range which I bought two months ago ($400 for TUSQ nut, Grover locking tuners, P90/Humbucker and split coil - all out of the box but upgrading this with high-end pickups will put the price at Fender Player level while my guitar will outperform it without breaking a sweat)

I like Jan quite about Epiphone. It's kind of obvious but many gear snobs would say otherwise.

Yes. To follow up on that. Sometimes the difference between $3000 and $1000 guitar is only in 'who made it'. The wood types, design type and components - the same.

So if you find someone that's closer to $1000 but actually has a QA process, why bother with $3000 guitar.

Edit : I did not see other replies on this topic, seems everyone here knows how to avoid being ripped off :)

I liked that too, though it's a bit negated by Adrian's two grand Jacksons and Dave's custom shop Fenders. :p

Kinda, but who knows Smith's career knows he mained two 'ordinary' guitars in the 90s, the sunburst Strat and KV1

The KV1? I cannot remember him using it when I saw him with Bruce back in 1997. He did indeed use the Strat and his old Les Paul Gold Top though.

Last edited:
The KV1? I cannot remember him using it when I saw him with Bruce back in 1997. He did indeed use the Strat and his old Les Paul Gold Top though.

Correct but he played it on Chemical Wedding and Ed Hunter tour. Which contain more than half of his gigs in the entire decade. What was the length of Psycho Motel 96 tour? I think his low-quantity live output prior to Bruce can be put aside, thus he did three (technically) world tours in the whole of 90s. KV1 was not there only on AoB which you were lucky to witness :)

The said two tours also contain the only officially released live material with Smith in the 90s, apart from his stint at Donington. Scream for me Brazil and live 99 B-sides, quite the number of tracks contain KV1.

Wasn't Ed Hunter literally just the sunburst Strat and the KV1 with the latter in drop D? I forgot if there were any others in the footage I've seen, but I'm pretty sure those two were it. That's a fair amount of exposure for the KV1 in Maiden, even disregarding the Chemical Wedding tour.

Wasn't Ed Hunter literally just the sunburst Strat and the KV1 with the latter in drop D? I forgot if there were any others in the footage I've seen, but I'm pretty sure those two were it. That's a fair amount of exposure for the KV1 in Maiden, even disregarding the Chemical Wedding tour.

I can't recall seeing anything else than those two, but the footage is sparse.
On Chemical Wedding live he used at least 5 guitars, Strat, KV1, Goldtop, Dean, and the 12 string Ovation(?) acoustic.

Back