Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

I was wondering the same. They take much pride for their live feel & recording and they don't even play a song from start to finish?

As above, no point switching from clean to heavy as per a real gig, as it would sound better if they were recorded separately

Makes much more sense to record the clean and heavy parts separately.
That would make sense,yes. But form what they say, they just record them in pieces. I guess they also seperate the clean and heavier parts but I think that they just cut the songs in pieces. Imagine them playing all the acoustic intros to Steve's songs and then cutting them up, haha. The longest acoustic intro ever created by a human. :)

And he does, doesn’t he? A great drummer I know, and Maiden fan, compares him to Billy Cobham, and I agree. Nicko has lots of jazz funk in his playing, and I think Steve has it too, via prog rock perhaps... he might not agree. A metal guitar player I know doesn’t like jazz, funk, but lots of heavy metal. He doesn’t like Nicko, because too inconsistent. Two sides of the same coin. Wonder what Nicko might say about Jack DeJohnette.

He wants to do SIASL again? Interesting, very interesting...
I thought of something - the setlists for the last two tours were made mostly by Bruce and he said that he would like to play The Prisoner and SIASL live again, so I think there is a chance we might hear these two during the album tour. I doubt about ROTAM, just because the long songs will be too many.

The verses here are a great example of how Nicko works syncopation, ghost notes, and other funk elements into his drumming with Maiden (bonus content: you can hear him yelling along with the music)
Just give the guy a song with dynamics and he can do miracles.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread I went down a rabbit hole of interviews. I watched all of the official album documentaries since the reunion, and I'm currently watching a bootleg recording of the "What Does This Button Do" show on youtube. Bruce dedicates 40 minutes to joking about how teachers beat him in school. Poor Bruce.

Because he enjoys the music he is playing and gets a bit carried away?

We know that Steve also does something similar singing whilst playing (thankfully we cannot hear him).
Yeah Steve is knowns to sing (or shout) while playing.

I have no problem with Nicko doing the same, I am just surprised because I have been listening or Maiden for several years and never knew about this until today.

Because he enjoys the music he is playing and gets a bit carried away?

We know that Steve also does something similar singing whilst playing (thankfully we cannot hear him).
He's in good company too - John Bonham was famous for this as well. Drummers with a jazz background typically think melodically like this - while only some vocalize out loud, you can bet most of them are doing it in their heads. I know I do.

Yeah Steve is knowns to sing (or shout) while playing.

I have no problem with Nicko doing the same, I am just surprised because I have been listening or Maiden for several years and never knew about this until today.
Steve does a live version of lip syncing, no sound in it at all I think.

Back