Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Another recent interview with Nicko:

"A lot of the tracks, we've got below the vocal melody — and I don't think we've done this very often in the past — we've got a guitar line that's phrasing the vocal line. And there's three or four songs on the album where we do that, and I think that was something that Steve took and went, "Oh, that works really well so we'll do that."

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Last edited:
A lot of the tracks, we've got below the vocal melody — and I don't think we've done this very often in the past — we've got a guitar line that's phrasing the vocal line. And there's three or four songs on the album where we do that, and I think that was something that Steve took and went, "Oh, that works really well so we'll do that."

Why you facepalm, you thought it came from Murray? :D

• Love
Reactions: Gk1
........and not even let me start on the....we usually repeat the parts 4 or even 8 times!!!!! :)

Last edited:
A lot of the tracks, we've got below the vocal melody — and I don't think we've done this very often in the past — we've got a guitar line that's phrasing the vocal line. And there's three or four songs on the album where we do that, and I think that was something that Steve took and went, "Oh, that works really well so we'll do that."

My thoughts exactly! :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: Gk1
Steve has been extremely absent for a long time. I hope it's his shyness and not illness. But the fact that the band leader hasn't communicated with his loyal fans is a bit disappointing.
I've been wondering about that too. Given that they delayed the release of BOS due to Bruce's illness, I guess that they wouldn't have released a new album if Steve was ill. And their touring plans for 2022 are not altered so...
I just hate the way Bruce and Adrian talk about the songs. They have both so self-centered. And the way Bruce talked about Steve's lyrical melodies in a recent Rock Hard (French magazine) interview is a joke. The guy basically explains us that he (Bruce) tries to make his melodies sound grandiose and lyrical, while Steve's are essentialy based on rythm. He should try to come up with something as magnificent and grandiose as Senjutsu or BOS' title track, and not with boring heavy rock shit instead of saying such things.
Variety in writing music is important, but I reckon it also matters for interviews and promotion.

I just hate the way Bruce and Adrian talk about the songs. They have both so self-centered. And the way Bruce talked about Steve's lyrical melodies in a recent Rock Hard (French magazine) interview is a joke. The guy basically explains us that he (Bruce) tries to make his melodies sound grandiose and lyrical, while Steve's are essentialy based on rythm.

Can you send me the link for that interview?

"A lot of the tracks, we've got below the vocal melody — and I don't think we've done this very often in the past — we've got a guitar line that's phrasing the vocal line. And there's three or four songs on the album where we do that, and I think that was something that Steve took and went, "Oh, that works really well so we'll do that."
^ I like this approach/feature in the songs. Janick usually does this.

Maybe we are just reading too much into Adrian's and Bruce's interviews. I mean they mainly talk about their own songs and this is expected. As for the rest of the songs, Adrian said that he thinks Stratego is a cool song. I mean, even if they do nto like Steve's songs that much they still perform on them. They are just 60 year olds in quarantine! It could have been worse. :)

Not sure if this one has been shared either (apologies if it has):

This is interesting:

Bruce: ''If you insist that everything has to be rehearsed as if it was live in your studio, there's a lot of stuff we do in the studio that we take advantage of the fact that we're in a studio. We're creating things in a studio, but we don't do them live.
There are versions of me on the album where there's like layers of six or seven of me doing these sort of like etherial vocal harmonies. I have news for you. There's only one of me live, you know? So yeah, even when we did years ago 'Run to the Hills' you know, there's the multi-layered vocal harmonies there, but all of them are me, but there's only one of me onstage. So pretending that the studio is live and live is a studio for me is uh, you might as well just junk that concept. Now, having said that, all of these songs are playable live. I mean, we're Maiden. We wouldn't do a song if it wasn't playable live. So when we come to play the songs live, as I hope we will, then it'll be a question of us learning around songs off the album, basically.''

And the way Bruce talked about Steve's lyrical melodies in a recent Rock Hard (French magazine) interview is a joke. The guy basically explains us that he (Bruce) tries to make his melodies sound grandiose and lyrical, while Steve's are essentialy based on rythm.
Subjective judgments about Bruce’s melodic taste aside, isn’t that final comment about Steve’s phrasing absolutely true? He writes lyrics and forces them to match a specific rhythm regardless of whether that lines up with the words’ natural inflection or not. He does this throughout the band’s catalog, and it’s been mentioned consistently over the years.

Some people don’t notice this or don’t care, but other people find bad vocal phrasing to be really grating. When Bruce or Adrian writes the lyrics, they make sure the phrasing is natural. When Steve writes the lyrics, he doesn’t care about the phrasing. You may still like the end result, but how is it unfair to note the difference?

He should try to come up with something as magnificent and grandiose as Senjutsu or BOS' title track, and not with boring heavy rock shit instead of saying such things.
Um, have you ever listened to Bruce’s solo material…?

I've been wondering about that too. Given that they delayed the release of BOS due to Bruce's illness, I guess that they wouldn't have released a new album if Steve was ill. And their touring plans for 2022 are not altered so...
I just hate the way Bruce and Adrian talk about the songs. They have both so self-centered. And the way Bruce talked about Steve's lyrical melodies in a recent Rock Hard (French magazine) interview is a joke. The guy basically explains us that he (Bruce) tries to make his melodies sound grandiose and lyrical, while Steve's are essentialy based on rythm. He should try to come up with something as magnificent and grandiose as Senjutsu or BOS' title track, and not with boring heavy rock shit instead of saying such things.
Variety in writing music is important, but I reckon it also matters for interviews and promotion.

The lack of diversity in the promotional interviews is baffling. I can understand Adrian talking about the songs he wrote (great stuff), but with Bruce it is getting quite tedious. During this promotional round he is repeating the same stuff over and over again: “my Achilles tendon snapped”, “I got a metal hip!”, “only Steve and I had a chance to listen to the finished album”, “the video is great” (I have to agree with him on this), “Steve and I write lyrics in a very different way”, “I see lyrics as stories in my head that I then interpret”, “Churchill saved the world”, etc. What a bore!

Nicko is probably even worse though. It is always the best album they’ve ever done and this would be adorned with some crass jokes and anecdotes from a long time ago.

I’d love to hear from the other band members. I find Steve’s silence particularly surprising. It is as if he did not give a shit about promoting the latest album of his band!

Either way, if the other band members were to be interviewed, I can foresee Steve saying that he has “so many different ideas that it is ridiculous” (even though they all end up following similar patterns and self-plagiarism is rife) and Jan telling us that “a band has to remain creative and record new music” (yet they have waited 6 years to release a new studio album). And Dave? Well, he’ll probably just smile.

The journalists interviewing them might be partially responsible, as I feel they do not ask them any particularly challenging questions. Call me a cynic, but I guess the amount of money spent by Parlophone/Warner advertising the album might have something to do with it.

Back