Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

• Haha
Reactions: Gk1
But why did they drop SIASL from their 99 set? I think I read somewhere that they thought it did not help with the show pace or something.

Forward a few years later and all their songs are that tempo anyway,lol!

He wants to do ROTAM, The Prisoner and SIASL again. Bring it on, Bruce!

His favorite songs from Killers are the title track, MITRM and Prodigal Son.
Rue Morgue was not played before Killers came out. Bruce saw them some years earlier already. So: not correct. Anyhow, very cool he mentions Prodigal Son. Time to do that one. The only one we never heard from the two first albums.

Adrian thought that DOFP will be the lead single because it's the shortest song in the album.

They don't really rehearse now before they go to the studio. He really enjoys the writing process.

They definitely will play 1-2 new songs during LOTB tour next year (TWOTW is the most likely). As for the album tour: they will play all the songs live in the studio to see how they will go and to decide which songs they will play... he wants to do DOFP live.

It is the first time we get so "in depth" info regarding their recording processes.

And it is more or less what we all suspected.

1) They do not ever rehearse as they did back in the day

2) They do not even play the long songs in the studio as a whole. I mean where exactly is the live feel in that? H says that they wold have to rehearse them in the studio NOW as to see which one would play out live best. I mean, YOU GUYS DO 12 minute songs in a way as to capture what exact feeling, is a mistery to me!!!!

3) Steve does what he wants and no-one really talks back. He gets to decide what song goes where and if it is included.

4) H does whole songs demos. The band plays through most of them. This shows on the end result.

5) They are difficult to work with. (He obviously means Steve). Thus Kevin does what Steve wants...which is expected I guess. I however get the feeling that the rest of the members kind of sit apart from Steve's decisions regarding his songs. The vibe is "we do the best we can with our own songs" then Steve comes with the old songs that we have to just execute".

BR/Gk1

But why did they drop SIASL from their 99 set? I think I read somewhere that they thought it did not help with the show pace or something.
^ This was the reason, yes. Adrian's killer solo needs to be played live again.

It would be amazing if we hear ROTAM live again - this song is timeless. ''The Prisoner'' too - one of Maiden's best instrumental sections/solos, plus we need a proper footage of it from the reunion era (of SIASL too)... I don't count RIR 2013 because the sound is not good.
Rue Morgue was not played before Killers came out. Bruce saw them some years earlier already. So: not correct. Anyhow, very cool he mentions Prodigal Son. Time to do that one. The only one we never heard from the two first albums.
Yeah, it seems he messed up the songs. It's true that ''Prodigal Son'' is the only never played live song from the first 2 albums, but it's not one of my favorites. If I have to choose one song from Killers it will be the title track - I really would love to hear this early classic live again.

The man has problems pinning down events to year at least when he's talking in interviews (or live rants).

Also when he mentiones generations he says "first fans from way back in 83/84" while in his story in 1981 Maiden had a swarm of 500 fans in the club 'on demand'.

And regarding Smith interview, I did not like the way he doesn't mention anything bar songs he cowrote, by name. "There is some stuff, then some other stuff, then more direct songs like Days of Future Past...". But it might just be he's sentimental about Days of Future Past that obviously didn't make it as lead single, while he can't be bummed because Writing is the lead single.

Where's Harris? Where's Gers? I want to hear something from them. I think Stratego, Time Machine and Parchment are top tier tracks comparable to Aces High, Powerslave and Rime.

2) They do not even play the long songs in the studio as a whole. I mean where exactly is the live feel in that? H says that they wold have to rehearse them in the studio NOW as to see which one would play out live best. I mean, YOU GUYS DO 12 minute songs in a way as to capture what exact feeling, is a mistery to me!!
So being 'live' in the studio means being 'spontaneous' in the studio? Hence the lack of rehearsal and all the best bits being pieced together afterwards to construct the songs?

2) They do not even play the long songs in the studio as a whole. I mean where exactly is the live feel in that? H says that they wold have to rehearse them in the studio NOW as to see which one would play out live best. I mean, YOU GUYS DO 12 minute songs in a way as to capture what exact feeling, is a mistery to me!!!!

I was wondering the same. They take much pride for their live feel & recording and they don't even play a song from start to finish?

Makes much more sense to record the clean and heavy parts separately.

Where's Harris? Where's Gers? I want to hear something from them.
Agree. A few words from Dave too. We have (at least) the short interview with Janick for Metal Hammer. I really want a long interview with Steve in which he talks about the songs and the writing process.

Back