Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

No that doesn't prove it at all.
It pretty much does. It also proves that you have a pretty flawed understanding of the subject matter.

Just because Hitler was really, really, really bad. It can't be used as evidence that Charles Manson wasn't bad.
Oh boy, you couldn't argue in more bad faith if you tried lmao

Are you living in fantasy land? How crushed did I claim TXF was?
Cute ad hominem once again ;)

TXF objectively isn't "crushed". Your own source proved that. Mosh's screenshots did so too. That's not a matter of opinion, nor is it up for debate.

What is your point?
That you tried to use a resource without understanding what it actually says. The fact that you didn't respond to the fact thar there were plenty of albums in the 80s, well before the loudness wars, that had identical or even worse scores than TXF is pretty telling though.

If you really want to know what my understanding of the loudness wars is then ask me some questions. Don't just make up stuff in your head about my position.
I don't need to ask anything since you keep doubling down, even on matters where you're objectively and decisively incorrect.

I agree, the loudness war is still ongoing.
My claim was though, that in the beginning days of the loudness wars, some people realised that this took away the punch from the drums and so they tried to counter it by producing more punchy drum tones (that sounded aweful).
Thankfully, even though Loudness war is still ongoing, they don't typically produce horrible drum sounds.
And I've explained to you multiple times that TXF's bad sound is because of its poor production and Steve's inexperience, not due to excessive compression. You keep ignoring the fact that the guitars are incredibly thin, which has been brought up to you multiple times. Going "la la la, the drums sound bad because of the loudness wars!" like a broken record doesn't make the claim anymore correct ;)

Because I wanted to do research myself, which I did, and now I've shown proof conclusive that TXF was highly compressed.
Uh no. Your very own source disproved your claim, as did the Mosh's screenshots which show the literal waveforms. They showed conclusively that TXF was not highly compressed. Have you worked with waveforms before? Hell, have you any experience with mixing and mastering music? Because TXF is objectively not "highly compressed".

TXF isn't the worst example of loudness wars, but it's drums are horrible, and my speculation is that the band was compensating for the compression used.
Yes and that's baseless speculation. The guitars sound horrible as well. Is that due to compression as well? No, it's due to a mixture of bad tones, poor mixing and poor mastering. An issue the entire albums suffers from. The loudness wars have absolutely nothing to do with TXF.

Your entitlement is amusing to me. You seem to overlook the fact that you alone buying a single album doesn't cover the costs of producing a high quality sounding album.
They are not my friends. They are artists. They want my money and need to give me an incentive. Once again you make the objectively incorrect claim that a high quality sounding album is expensive. It's not. In fact, if you already have the gear you can get an amazingly sounding album literally for free nowadays. No matter how often you repeat that, it's still wrong.

The Band is entitled to release whatever they want, you are entitled to buy (or not buy) what is on offer. That's as far as your entitlement goes.
Wrong. As a consumer it is my right to criticize subpar products, especially when competitors provide higher quality services. I can voice my criticism for a product I purchased and explain what my issues with it are. The band obviously can decide to proceed however they want, that doesn't make the criticism invalid.

I've never compared the cost of producing albums now vs in previous eras.

What you've done here is a non sequitur
You might have to look up what a non sequitur is, because you are using it wrongly. You've made the objectively incorrect claim that a high quality production has to be expensive and that the ROI isn't there multiple times. Despite being told, multiple times, that this is not correct. So, I'll repeat it again for you:

A high quality production has never been as cheap as it is today and Maiden could easily choose to spend a fraction of what they do nowadays, while getting an amazing production. They don't though. In fact, another poster already explained to you why Maiden's approach is needlessly expensive.

Anyway, I'm tired of explaining things over and over only for you to ignore everything that directly refutes and contradicts your points and to have you assert objectively incorrect and already debunked claims. Feel free to think that TXF is highly compressed if that makes you feel better. I have better stuff to spend my time on ;)

It pretty much does. It also proves that you have a pretty flawed understanding of the subject matter.
No, it doesn't prove what you think it proves. Being compressed doesn't mean they can't then go back and make certain sections less loud.
It is trivial to select a selection of a song track and to reduce the volume.
Oh boy, you couldn't argue in more bad faith if you tried lmao
No bad faith there at all. You however are unable to see the serious flaw in your own argument.
Just because TXF isn't as badly brickwalled as Death Magnetic does not mean that TXF hasn't been compressed at all.

TXF objectively isn't "crushed". Your own source proved that. Mosh's screenshots did so too. That's not a matter of opinion, nor is it up for debate.
My own source showed that it is compressed and its dynamic range has been reduced.
Prior, albums typically have a DR of 12-14, This version of X Factor has a DR of 9.
That you tried to use a resource without understanding what it actually says.
I understand what it says.

The fact that you didn't respond to the fact thar there were plenty of albums in the 80s, well before the loudness wars, that had identical or even worse scores than TXF is pretty telling though.
All Maiden albums prior to TXF had significantly more DR than TXF
I don't need to ask anything since you keep doubling down, even on matters where you're objectively and decisively incorrect.
You don't need to ask because you already know, right?

And I've explained to you multiple times that TXF's bad sound is because of its poor production and Steve's inexperience, not due to excessive compression.
I'm not disputing the poor production. But I was talking about compression, this talk of production is deflection.

You keep ignoring the fact that the guitars are incredibly thin,
I don't care that the guitars are thin. No one asked my opinion about the guitars being thin.

which has been brought up to you multiple times. Going "la la la, the drums sound bad because of the loudness wars!" like a broken record doesn't make the claim anymore correct ;)
I haven't been making that claim over and over. I've actually gone to lengths to show you the proof of the album being impacted by compression. But you have thus far swept my proof under the rug and instead gone on personal attacks of me.
Uh no. Your very own source disproved your claim, as did the Mosh's screenshots which show the literal waveforms. They showed conclusively that TXF was not highly compressed. Have you worked with waveforms before? Hell, have you any experience with mixing and mastering music? Because TXF is objectively not "highly compressed".
The version that was assessed by dr.loudness-war.info was compressed in 1995.
The guitars sound horrible as well. Is that due to compression as well? No,
I certainly haven't made any claim that the "thin" guitars is due to compression. Why, instead of deflecting, don't we actually stick to the claims that I actually have made.

They are not my friends. They are artists. They want my money and need to give me an incentive.
Not really. You are a fan, you'll probably buy their album no matter what.

Once again you make the objectively incorrect claim that a high quality sounding album is expensive. It's not.
Oh boy.
Maybe you are super rich, I don't know. But from my perspective it is expensive to hire a recording studio, to fly the band to location, to hire the producer, mixer, engineer, and whatever else these guys get charged for during the recording and production of an album.

In fact, if you already have the gear you can get an amazingly sounding album literally for free nowadays. No matter how often you repeat that, it's still wrong.
Are we talking about what Iron Maiden do, or are you talking about some hypothetical which doesn't relate to Iron Maiden at all?
Should we limit our conversation to reality or should we go off into the land of the imagination?
Wrong. As a consumer it is my right to criticize subpar products, especially when competitors provide higher quality services.
I've already said that people can criticise to their hearts content.

I can voice my criticism for a product I purchased and explain what my issues with it are.
Yes, of course you can.

The band obviously can decide to proceed however they want, that doesn't make the criticism invalid.
Sure, but you aren't entitled for them to make a high quality sounding album for you.
You either buy or not buy what they are offering. They decide what the quality is of their own offering, that is their entitlement, not yours.

You might have to look up what a non sequitur is, because you are using it wrongly.
Oh boy, talk about banale. Are you going to now argue about everything? Perhaps you may want to criticise my spelling and grammar too while you're at it. Anything to distract from the actual points I've made. Attack the person and not the points, right?

What you said was a non sequitur because whether it's cheaper now to make an album than in the past, has absolutely nothing to do with the point that you were responding to.
Anyway, I'm tired of explaining things over and over only for you to ignore everything

I have not ignored anything, I have addressed everything, but I just get garbage from you, mostly personal attacks, lots of deflection, non sequiturs, and just nonsense. You're obviously either not bothering to listen to anything I say, or you are just creating stuff in your head and assuming that my position is what is in your head and not what is in the words of my posts.

No, it doesn't prove what you think it proves. Being compressed doesn't mean they can't then go back and make certain sections less loud.
It is trivial to select a selection of a song track and to reduce the volume.
Serious question, because you dodged it the first time: Do you have any experience mixing and mastering an album? Because I do and no one would ever compress a song during mastering to such a degree and then would go and create artificial quietness through automation. That's not how these things work and you would still see the crushed transients in the waveforms. Again, this is not up for debate, you are simply wrong on this. Let's stick to facts, not your fantasies ;)

No bad faith there at all. You however are unable to see the serious flaw in your own argument.
Just because TXF isn't as badly brickwalled as Death Magnetic does not mean that TXF hasn't been compressed at all.
Strawman.

My own source showed that it is compressed and its dynamic range has been reduced.
Prior, albums typically have a DR of 12-14, This version of X Factor has a DR of 9.
Which is not indicative of "highly compressed". Also, once again, cute how you ignore that there have been hundred of albums from the 80s that had just as much or even less DR than TXF. This is the third time that I'm mentioning this. The loudness wars started a decade later.

I understand what it says.
lol, lmao even.

All Maiden albums prior to TXF had significantly more DR than TXF
So? That doesn't mean that TXF was "highly compressed", which again we can see is not the case by analyzing the waveforms.

You don't need to ask because you already know, right?
Well, you've been objectively incorrect multiple times in a row, refuse to acknowledge when corrected and keep whining about ad hominems when you're the one constantly using them ;)

I'm not disputing the poor production. But I was talking about compression, this talk of production is deflection.
Compression is literally, per definition part of the production. Just because it ruins your argument doesn't mean that you can try to ignore it by claiming it's deflection. It's on topic.

I don't care that the guitars are thin. No one asked my opinion about the guitars being thin.
Because acknowledging that would mean you'd have to admit defeat, which you obviously aren't willing to do, despite how much evidence is against your claims.

I haven't been making that claim over and over. I've actually gone to lengths to show you the proof of the album being impacted by compression. But you have thus far swept my proof under the rug and instead gone on personal attacks of me.
You haven't provided any proof. You literally said yourself that you are theorizing why the drums sound bad. Mosh provided proof that directly and conclusively refutes your claim. Hell, the website you linked shows that whole TXF has less DR than other albums, it doesn't qualify as "highly compressed". Also, the only "personal attack" from my side were the statement that you talk confidently about matters which you clearly haven't understood as well as you think you have and that you misuse and throw around fallacies to sidestep valid arguments. You've been throwing around plenty of personal attacks as well, so you have no right to complain on that front ;)

The version that was assessed by dr.loudness-war.info was compressed in 1995.

I certainly haven't made any claim that the "thin" guitars is due to compression. Why, instead of deflecting, don't we actually stick to the claims that I actually have made.
That's not what deflection means. Again, throwing around buzzwords and talking points to escape valid criticisms of your poor claim. TXF has always been criticized for its poor production. The guitars are thin, the performances are weak and the drums are poorly mixed. There's no indication for the album being highly compressed, while there's plenty of evidence that it's not. You can literally look at the waveforms, which you'll probably ignore once again though.

Not really. You are a fan, you'll probably buy their album no matter what.
It's about the principle. Didn't think I'd have to spell that out for you :facepalm:

Oh boy.
Maybe you are super rich, I don't know. But from my perspective it is expensive to hire a recording studio, to fly the band to location, to hire the producer, mixer, engineer, and whatever else these guys get charged for during the recording and production of an album.
This once again shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. People can and have produced high quality albums in their fucking bedrooms without spending an additional dime. Adrian has a DAW that he uses to record demos. They can easily produce an album without having to pay the money you are imagining in your fantasy world (your words, not mine ;) ). I'm far from being rich. In fact, I grew up pretty poor. I still managed to record and produce an album myself. The results are arguable, but that's more due to inexperience than a lack of funds. So, stop with the strawmen and engage with reality: Maiden could easily produce a fantastic sounding record for much cheaper than their last productions. Your claims about ROO and the alleged costs are objectively wrong and incredibly ignorant on the modern music business.

Are we talking about what Iron Maiden do, or are you talking about some hypothetical which doesn't relate to Iron Maiden at all?
Should we limit our conversation to reality or should we go off into the land of the imagination?
I'm directly talking about the falsehoods you are spreading. Not need to become butthurt for being called out.

Sure, but you aren't entitled for them to make a high quality sounding album for you.
You either buy or not buy what they are offering. They decide what the quality is of their own offering, that is their entitlement, not yours.
Again, a strawman. That's not what my argument was or has been at any point. I'm explaining to you that every single consumer has the right to criticize multimillionaires for delivering subpar products while other bands go above and beyond to produce amazing sounding albums. This becomes even more evident and important when we think back to the 80s or to BNW when Maiden set very high standards themselves. Your argument doesn't contribute to the discussion. It simply tries to squash dissent.

Oh boy, talk about banale. Are you going to now argue about everything? Perhaps you may want to criticise my spelling and grammar too while you're at it. Anything to distract from the actual points I've made. Attack the person and not the points, right?
I am constantly engaging with your points, but it is also important to inform you that, despite your smugness and arrogance, you keep using words and phrases wrong while thinking you've said something profound or important. It's particularly important to call that out when you try to dismiss arguments that are 100% relevant to the discussion and directly refute your claims, by misusing phrases and concepts. What I said was not a non sequitur; it was relevant. You simply didn't want to deal with it.

What you said was a non sequitur because whether it's cheaper now to make an album than in the past, has absolutely nothing to do with the point that you were responding to.
Again, it has everything to do with the discussion we are having. You have claimed multiple times that the ROI isn't there. You have multiple misrepresented the cost of recording an album in 2024. you have been informed multiple times that you were wrong, yet you still double down.

I have not ignored anything, I have addressed everything, but I just get garbage from you, mostly personal attacks, lots of deflection, non sequiturs, and just nonsense. You're obviously either not bothering to listen to anything I say, or you are just creating stuff in your head and assuming that my position is what is in your head and not what is in the words of my posts.
Holy shit, the amount of projection would make an IMAX blush lmao.
You didn't get "garbage" from me. I gave you direct arguments against your claims. I have no idea where you see the "mostly personal attacks". They have increased, because you keep using ad hominems. I haven't deflected once, unlike you. I've also not used any non sequiturs. But the fact that you are characterizing everything like that and calling everything nonsense betrays that you can't support your position, but you're too proud or ashamed to admit that you made a mistake and that you were wrong.
Also, stop lying so brazenly. You have ignored multiple arguments, including the albums from the 80s that I linked from your very own source and the waveforms from Mosh. It's not a good look to lie, when everyone can see the truth ;)

We've given you literal screenshots of the waveforms that show undeniably that TXF is not highly compressed. That's a fact, despite how often you claim the opposite.
The very website you used shows that TXF has an average DR of 9, which by no definition qualifies as highly compressed. You've been informed multiple times that dozens, if not hundreds of albums from the 80s, so a decade prior to the loudness wars starting, have the same DR as TXF or worse. You have also been informed multiple times that your claims about the loudness wars and the album having tons of quiet parts are mutually exclusive and that your theory about automating the volume afterwards is nonsensical, since you'd be able to see the effects of the compression on the waveforms afterwards.

This back and forth has gone on long enough. Feel free to write one more message about how I'm a big meanie who uses personal attacks, non sequiturs, who deflects and talks nonsense despite being much more educated on the matter than you, as it's gotten increasingly obvious. Double down some more, ignore all the evidence presented to you and pretend you "won" and were right all along. Whatever helps to move on from this. I won't read it anyway, since I've wasted more time on this than I would've liked.

Serious question, because you dodged it the first time: Do you have any experience mixing and mastering an album? Because I do and no one would ever compress a song during mastering to such a degree and then would go and create artificial quietness through automation. That's not how these things work and you would still see the crushed transients in the waveforms. Again, this is not up for debate, you are simply wrong on this. Let's stick to facts, not your fantasies ;)
Here is something useful that I've found.

It shows visually the volumes of the songs of Iron Maiden songs.
You can see visually here that Virtual XI is heavily compressed. That's from 1998. and pretty much every Maiden album since.

This video shows The X Factor as being OK.
But, I still maintain that this might not be the case for X Faxtor as a whole.
In that previous link I provided, there are several versions of X Factor from 1995. One version is OK, one version is not.

I have also seen images where a highly compressed song has quiet parts.
So, you know, there is proof that you are wrong on your assertion that compressed songs can't have quiet sections.
e2Py7Yn.png

Which is not indicative of "highly compressed". Also, once again, cute how you ignore that there have been hundred of albums from the 80s that had just as much or even less DR than TXF. This is the third time that I'm mentioning this. The loudness wars started a decade later.
It didn't start a decade later. It started in the mid 90's
Compression is literally, per definition part of the production. Just because it ruins your argument doesn't mean that you can try to ignore it by claiming it's deflection. It's on topic.
Oh boy, this arguing with you is insane. You just go off on stupid tangents.

Because acknowledging that would mean you'd have to admit defeat, which you obviously aren't willing to do, despite how much evidence is against your claims.
What on earth are you on about? Noone is winning or defeating. I'm trying to discuss a topic, not win an argument.
Acknowledging that guitars sound thin, has nothing at all to do with whether an album is compressed or not. A Non Sequitur here.

I've never thought the guitars are thin on that album. But if it makes you feel better, I'm not going to dispute whether they are thin or not.
If you think they are thin, then lets go with that.

You haven't provided any proof. You literally said yourself that you are theorizing why the drums sound bad.
Dude, are you for real?
Really? or are you just trying to argue for the sake of it?

I've never said I have proof why the drums sound bad.
I've only presented proof that there is a version of The X Factor from 1995 that was compressed.
I have clearly stated that I am speculating that the bad drum sound could be due to counteracting compression.

Please take the time to understand what the other person is saying rather than rushing into an argument on everything.

Mosh provided proof that directly and conclusively refutes your claim. Hell, the website you linked shows that whole TXF has less DR than other album
There are at least two versions of The X Factor from 1995. One version has a dynamic range of 12, the other a DR of only 9.
Just because there are albums with worse DR than TXF it doesn't mean that TXF hasn't been compressed. Do you understand logic?

Last edited:
Ah, you baited me into another response, but how can I stop when you give such gems?

Here is something useful that I've found.

It shows visually the volumes of the songs of Iron Maiden songs.
You can see visually here that Virtual XI is heavily compressed. That's from 1998. and pretty much every Maiden album since.
Thank you. THANK YOU. This proves what I've been saying all along. This shows very clearly that TXF is NOT "heavily compressed". Run To The Hills and Fear Of The Dark (the songs) are shown in this video with more compression than TXF. Again, that's objective. That's not up for debate. TXF is notoriously quiet as an album. If it were heavily compressed this wouldn't have been the case. Words have meanings.
Also, it's pretty adorable how you moving the goalposts now instead of simply acknowledging that you were wrong lmao

This video shows The X Factor as being OK.
But, I still maintain that this might not be the case for X Faxtor as a whole.
In that previous link I provided, there are several versions of X Factor from 1995. One version is OK, one version is not.
So, now we turn to conspiracies? Here are all version of TXF. There is a single 95 version with worse DR, the rest are either the same or better. The actually highly compressed versions are ironically from remastered releases decades later.
If one version is "OK" that means that one would sound better and have a better drum sound, right? How about you prove your claim by finding the better version then? You are the one who claimed that the drums sound bad due to too much compression after all ;)

I have also seen images where a highly compressed song has quiet parts.
So, you know, there is proof that you are wrong on your assertion that compressed songs can't have quiet sections.
e2Py7Yn.png
Again, a strawman. That's not what I ever claimed. I specifically said, the level of quietness found in TXF is not something seen in "highly compressed" albums. I don't have access to my main computer ar the moment due to travels, otherwise I would've brickwall limited a song, adjusted the volume with automation and would've visualizer what I'm actually saying. Compression like that is destructive to waveforms and kills transients. No amount of automation could restore those.

I ask you a third time: Do you have any experience mixing and mastering albums yourself? Yes or no?

It didn't start a decade later. It started in the mid 90's
Which is literally what I'm saying. The 90s are a decade later than the 80s. I gave you a list of albums from the 80s, which last I checked is a decade prior to the start of the loudness wars :facepalm:

Oh boy, this arguing with you is insane. You just go off on stupid tangents.
The irony to call clarification a tangent. You are making the absurd claim that production is not relevant when discussing compression, when those thinks are inherently linked. This comment of yours is literally deflection, because you are unable to properly defend your position. Also, another ad hominem ;)

What on earth are you on about? Noone is winning or defeating. I'm trying to discuss a topic, not win an argument.
Acknowledging that guitars sound thin, has nothing at all to do with whether an album is compressed or not. A Non Sequitur here.
Aaaamd another strawman. This is not my claim. You constantly misrepresent what I'm writing. Let me break it down for you:

- You claim the drums sound bad because of the album being highly compressed.

- I claim they sound bad because of the poor production and that there's no evidence or excessive compression.

- I bring up the notoriously weak and thin guitar sound, which supports my argument about a poor production.

- I've also explained multiple times how the album is notoriously quiet in many sections, which contradicts your claim.

I've never thought the guitars are thin on that album. But if it makes you feel better, I'm not going to dispute whether they are thin or not.
If you think they are thin, then lets go with that.
I don't care what you think. I'm not talking about your opinion or mine. I'm talking about the consensus in the fandom. The prevailing opinion of most people who've listened to the album.

Dude, are you for real?
Really? or are you just trying to argue for the sake of it?

I've never said I have proof why the drums sound bad.
I've only presented proof that there is a version of The X Factor from 1995 that was compressed.
I have clearly stated that I am speculating that the bad drum sound could be due to counteracting compression.
Aaaand more goalpost shifting. So, no it's just "compressed" instead of "heavily compressed"? Because otherwise your very own source as well as Mosh's screenshots are proof that TXF is not "heavily compressed", which were your exact words. If we're moving to "there's some amount of compression", then duh, or course. Compression is one of the regular parts of mixing and mastering. Every album has some level of compression applied.

You were given undeniable proof that the album is not highly compressed. You were shown multiple times that your theory about the bad drum sound is unsubstantiated (as well as your understanding about the costs of album production being severely flawed, which you've sidestepped again, curious ;) ). You were informed multiple times that the "counteracting compression" argument makes no sense in this regard.

Please take the time to understand what the other person is saying rather than rushing into an argument on everything.
The incredible amount of irony, after misrepresenting most of my claims, multiple comments in a row. You are shadowboxing with strawmen instead of engaging with what I'm actually typing out. When I elaborate to explain why your arguments make no sense, you cry foul and throw around ad hominems and fallacies to try and discredit my comment, and to sidestep another part of the conversation.

There are at least two versions of The X Factor from 1995. One version has a dynamic range of 12, the other a DR of only 9.
Just because there are albums with worse DR than TXF it doesn't mean that TXF hasn't been compressed. Do you understand logic?
I've had an education in formal logic, thanks to my degree. I understand logic perfectly fine, no worries. Chill with the pErSoNaL aTtAcKs.
I linked all versions of TXF earlier in this comment. You can clearly see the average dynamic range of each release. Yes, a version with a DR of 9 is more compressed than a version with a DR of 12. No one is disputing that. A 9 is not heavily compressed though. Not unless the original were a 21 or something. Again, words have meanings. Do you understand logic and linguistics? Or rather etymology?

You made very specific claims, which were objectively incorrect. You seem to have conceded the point about album costs since you stopped responding on that front, but you're doubling down on the loudness wars by moving the goalposts. You have dodged multiple questions and arguments, so once again:

Do you have any personal experience in actually mixing and/or mastering an album? Yes or no?

Will you finally acknowledge that I gave you a list of albums from 1987 (year chosen at random, but 8 years prior to TXF and the alleged start of the loudness wars) which have a DR of 9 or lower? I've asked you multiple times.

If you ignore these things again I can only assume that you've recognized that you were wrong on this but are too proud to admit that. I had no intention for this discussion to get this out of control, but it's a pet peeve of mine when people make arrogant and confidently incorrect statements about things I'm very familiar with and then double down once corrected instead of admitting that they were mistaken. I've spent hundreds of hours mixing and mastering my own music at this point, and hundreds if not thousands reading, learning and educating myself on the whole process. Add to that, that you keep setting up strawmen and misrepresenting my claims while attacking me, instead of the arguments (how ironic ;) ). In stuff like that I'm a bit too easily baited and can't resist calling out bullshit.

Last edited:
Yes, that's what I said, well, they don't have to brickwall it. But yes the compression takes all frequencies and gets them all to the same volume.
No. Compression is used to control volume and dynamics. (there are some shades of grey here, e.g. multi-band compression) but the result and objective isn't to make all frequencies the same volume.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but as someone who's worked in audio for well over a decade, and specialized in rock and metal, you don't really know what you're talking about. You're mixing up concepts that are only tangentially related to each other.

As I already mentioned Maiden could EASILY reduce their production costs significantly and create a much better sounding product by working a different way. There are bands making amazing sounding albums in their bedrooms for pennies that blow Maidens production out of the water. Maiden renting out a huge studio for 3 months with no material written ahead of time is a hugely expensive way to work. But it's Steve's band at the end of the day and he's going to do what he likes regardless of what anyone else thinks.

How not to get Arry to open up a bit, ask the same boring cringeworthy questions he always gets asked like ' if you were to pick one song'. I mean Flight of Icarus? celtic frost? come on. The only interesting question he asked was about Blaze
Yeah this was a really dull interview. Basically half an hour of hero worship.

No. Compression is used to control volume and dynamics. (there are some shades of grey here, e.g. multi-band compression) but the result and objective isn't to make all frequencies the same volume.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but as someone who's worked in audio for well over a decade, and specialized in rock and metal, you don't really know what you're talking about. You're mixing up concepts that are only tangentially related to each other.
In the context of the loudness war, they compress the music to get the average volume to be close to the top volume (i.e. the squash the Dynamic Range). They then increase the volume of the whole piece to be close to the maximum the CD format allows, and that allows them to get the volume of the music to be louder than other CDs on the market.

The negative of doing this is that the drums lose their punch, as they are normally much louder than the rest of the music, But after compression, there isn't much difference between the loudness of the drums and the rest of the music.

Thank you. THANK YOU. This proves what I've been saying all along. This shows very clearly that TXF is NOT "heavily compressed".
It shows that that version wasn't compressed.

Run To The Hills and Fear Of The Dark (the songs) are shown in this video with more compression than TXF
Irrelevant.
So, now we turn to conspiracies? Here are all version of TXF. There is a single 95 version with worse DR, the rest are either the same or better.
There are 6 1995 versions of The X factor in that list. Only one of them has good DR of 12, it's green, green for good.
the other 5 have DR of 8, 9 and 10, 8 is red, red is bad, 9 and 10 are orange, orange is iffy.

With the visualisation in the video I provided, we don't know which version of the CD they used.
The actually highly compressed versions are ironically from remastered releases decades later.
The 2015 and 2019 versions are even worse. But that doesn't mean that some of the 1995 versions aren't also bad.
If one version is "OK" that means that one would sound better and have a better drum sound, right?
No, it doesn't mean that at all.
The drum sound was not caused by compression. It was a tone that they specifically chose to have for the drums. to make them more inpactful.
My speculation was that they may have done this to compensate for the reduction in punch of the drums. Compression will make normal drums lose their punch.

How about you prove your claim by finding the better version then? You are the one who claimed that the drums sound bad due to too much compression after all ;)
I'm thinking you lack the ability to understand words. You are constantly misunderstanding what I say.

I ask you a third time: Do you have any experience mixing and mastering albums yourself? Yes or no?
This is completely irrelevant. Why do you keep going down irrelevant tangents, rather than discuss the actual topic at hand?

Whether I'm a sound engineer, or a painter, or a space astronaut or a funeral director or a poet or a politician or a clown it is all irrelevant to whether an album is compressed or not. It is either compressed or it is not compressed, my own occupation or experience has nothing to do with the fact of whether that album has any compression on it or not. Why don't you instead ask relevant questions. or make relevant points.

Why on Earth do you keep asking me if I done sound engineering, why on earth do you talk about 80's albums, why on earth do you talk about guitar sounds, why on earth do you talk about Death Magnetic or Dance of Death?

We are talking about whether the 1995 version of The X factor is compressed or not. None of the above is relevant in the least to that question.
Which is literally what I'm saying. The 90s are a decade later than the 80s. I gave you a list of albums from the 80s, which last I checked is a decade prior to the start of the loudness wars :facepalm:
I have never said the loudness war stared in the 80's. Are you on drugs or something? It seems you are very muddled.
The irony to call clarification a tangent. You are making the absurd claim that production is not relevant when discussing compression, when those thinks are inherently linked.
You are insane.

We were talking about compression, and then you go off your nut and say it was poor production rather than compression.
Then I tell you I'm only talking about compression and not production as a whole, then you complain and say Compression is production.

I feel you have lost track of what we are talking about and are simply wanting to argue about any and everything. Running around on various tangents and losing focus on what is actually being talked about.
- You claim the drums sound bad because of the album being highly compressed.
Not the claim that I've made.
- I claim they sound bad because of the poor production and that there's no evidence or excessive compression.
I've shown you the evidence that there are 1995 versions of the album with poor dynamic range.
You have not presented any evidence in support of your drums are poor due to poor production claim.
- I bring up the notoriously weak and thin guitar sound, which supports my argument about a poor production.
Dude, this is completely irrelevant. Sure their could have been poor production of the guitars. But that has no bearing on whether the album was compressed or not. It is totally irrelevant.
- I've also explained multiple times how the album is notoriously quiet in many sections, which contradicts your claim.
This is irrelevant. Compressed albums can have quiet parts. In fact, I have provided evidence of a compressed song with quiet parts.
Because otherwise your very own source as well as Mosh's screenshots are proof that TXF is not "heavily compressed", which were your exact words. If we're moving to "there's some amount of compression"
Do you understand that there are multiple 1995 versions of the album?

Last edited:
At least Steve is finally giving interviews again. I remember during the release of Senjutsu he did no promo at all.

Would be cool to finally get some interesting questions that haven't been asked hundreds of times though.

Maybe he wants to warm up for the many requests he will surely get as Iron Maiden founder next year. And rejecting them all would seem seriously strange.

In the context of the loudness war, they compress the music to get the average volume to be close to the top volume (i.e. the squash the Dynamic Range). They then increase the volume of the whole piece to be close to the maximum the CD format allows, and that allows them to get the volume of the music to be louder than other CDs on the market.

The negative of doing this is that the drums lose their punch, as they are normally much louder than the rest of the music, But after compression, there isn't much difference between the loudness of the drums and the rest of the music.
Holy shit, the audacity of you trying to poorly explain concepts you clearly don't understand to someone who literally told you that they have more than a decade of professional experience. Multiple people have told you that you were wrong and explained it in detail. What will it take for you to back down?

It shows that that version wasn't compressed.
Ah, so we entered the realms of conspiracies I see lmao

Irrelevant.
It's 100% relevant. It literally couldn't be more relevant. Just because it completely dismantles your argument doesn't mean that you get to ignore it. You were wrong, deal with it.

There are 6 1995 versions of The X factor in that list. Only one of them has good DR of 12, it's green, green for good.
the other 5 have DR of 8, 9 and 10, 8 is red, red is bad, 9 and 10 are orange, orange is iffy.
That's a child's understanding of dynamic range. Your claim was that TXF was "highly compressed". That's objectively wrong and not supported by your own source. In fact, it proves the exact opposite. To turn your own argument against you, just because other albums had a higher DR than TXF doesn't mean that it was "highly compressed". You were wrong, deal with it.

With the visualisation in the video I provided, we don't know which version of the CD they used.
Literally how conspiracy theorists deal with arguments when they are proven wrong. Keep moving the goalposts until you can somehow justify your stance a tiny bit, instead of acknowledging that you were wrong.

The 2015 and 2019 versions are even worse. But that doesn't mean that some of the 1995 versions aren't also bad.
The 1995 objectively weren't bad. Again, this isn't up for debate. The album is in fact notoriously quiet. Mosh showed you that it was quite a bit quieter than contemporary albums. Your own website showed that the album wasn't "highly compressed" (your exact phrasing!). A 9 isn't highly compressed. Words have meanings, you were wrong. Stop doubling down.

No, it doesn't mean that at all.
The drum sound was not caused by compression. It was a tone that they specifically chose to have for the drums. to make them more inpactful.
My speculation was that they may have done this to compensate for the reduction in punch of the drums. Compression will make normal drums lose their punch.
Not only is your speculation baseless, all information we have directly disproves your speculation. Multiple people have called you out on this. Stop doubling down.

I'm thinking you lack the ability to understand words. You are constantly misunderstanding what I say.
Right back at ya. I respond to your exact words.

This is completely irrelevant. Why do you keep going down irrelevant tangents, rather than discuss the actual topic at hand?
And there we have it! So you have no experience mixing and mastering music, but you still have the arrogance to think you know better than people who do it professionally or who've spent hundreds of hours doing so? Your knowledge or lack thereof on the topic is entirely relevant. You're just ashamed to admit that you don't know what you're talking about and were caught by people who know better. Instead of personal attacks (iRrElEvAnT tAnGeNtS), focus on the topic: You were objectively wrong and people who know much better have explained it to you multiple times. Stop doubling down. It's shameless and insulting.

I have never said the loudness war stared in the 80's. Are you on drugs or something? It seems you are very muddled.
First, another personal attack. Second, your reading comprehension is failing you. I didn't accuse you of what you are typing. I explained to you that the LINK I GAVE YOU (which you've ignored for the what, fourth time now?) shows albums from 1987, which us a decade prior to the loudness wars and which have DR of 9 or even lower. Learn reading instead of getting so desperate that you're just flailing around and throwing a tantrum.

You are insane.
And another ad hominem.

We were talking about compression, and then you go off your nut and say it was poor production rather than compression.
Then I tell you I'm only talking about compression and not production as a whole, then you complain and say Compression is production.

I feel you have lost track of what we are talking about and are simply wanting to argue about any and everything. Running around on various tangents and losing focus on what is actually being talked about.
No tangents whatsoever. I've been on topic the whole time and I've explained in detail why you were wrong. My argument is entirely coherent. It explains all the issues with the album's sound. Yours doesn't explain any of the issues and is not supported by any data, regardless of your trying to misrepresent the dr website and the waveforms. I talked about production, which is inherently linked to compression and you cried foul because you couldn't argue against that. Stop with the childish attacks and the constant deflection. You were wrong, deal with it.

Not the claim that I've made.

I've shown you the evidence that there are 1995 versions of the album with poor dynamic range.
You have not presented any evidence in support of your drums are poor due to poor production claim.
No, that's not the evidence you presented. That's not what qualifies as "poor dynamic range" (which is again a different claim than your original "heavily compressed", so you're once again moving the goalposts. Who's the one who can't stay on topic? ;) ).
The claim that TXF has a poor production is self evident and supported by the consensus. The performances are weak, the guitars thin, the drums poorly mixed. Not at all a controversial statement and even people who love the album would admit to those shortcomings.

Dude, this is completely irrelevant. Sure their could have been poor production of the guitars. But that has no bearing on whether the album was compressed or not. It is totally irrelevant.
Again, 100% relevant. You keep trying to handwave away anything that refutes your argument. This was directly in support of my argument, which goes against your argument. How in the world is this not relevant?

This is irrelevant. Compressed albums can have quiet parts. In fact, I have provided evidence of a compressed song with quiet parts.
Compressed ≠ highly compressed. You made the absurd claim that it was highly compressed and then certain sections got their volume automated do be quieter. This is objectively wrong and would be visible in the waveform, because crushing transients is destructive and they can't be restored by rolling back the volume. Here it is more obvious than ever that you know nothing about audio production, yet you still have the audacity to think your ignorance on this matter is in any way comparable to the knowledge and experience of people who've been mixing and mastering for hundreds of hours.
A song can obviously have quieter sections and be compressed, because newsflash: Compression is a standard step of mixing and mastering. The amount of compression is what we are talking about. You claimed it's "highly compressed" and a victim of the loudness wars. It objectively isn't. You were wrong, I don't know how often I'll have to repeat this. You're talking with confidence about stuff you clearly know nothing about and then double down when people who know better correct you.

Do you understand that there are multiple 1995 versions of the album?
Again with the arguments on the level of a flat earther. There is only one version from 95 with a worse score. There are:

6 versions of TXF released in 95.

3 of them have a DR of 9.

has a better score at 10.

, with the best score, is the vinyl release.

1 has a worse score at 8.

This undermines your entire argument. If you had argued that the 6s from the remasters are highly compressed, I could've agreed, but 9s? Really? That's objectively not what counts as highly compressed. What are the 6s then? Extremely compressed? What would a 2 or 3 be? Astonishingly compressed? Again, words have meanings, you were objectively wrong, yet you keep doubling down and embarrassing yourself. Take a minute to calm down, step away from the computer, take a few deep breaths and move on from this. Multiple people have already called you out on multiple false claims. Show some goddamn dignity lol

The same "live magic" that results in literal mistakes, like one of the guitars changing chords a couple of measures too early, switching to the earlier chord in the next measure and then finally playing the expected change in the measure afterwards after the second chorus in TBOS? :D
The one that always irritates me is the guitar in 'Isle of Avalon' when Bruce sings 'Keepers of the goddess in the underworld'

Back