Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

Iron Maiden has never released a very bad album in its entire career, contrary to some other bands as Judas Priest (which has done plenty of them, like 'Rocka Rolla', 'Hell Bent For Leather', 'Point Of Entry', 'Stained Class', 'Turbo', 'Demolition', 'Nostradamus', 'Redeemer Of Souls')

Point Of Entry has “Heading Out To The Highway”, “Desert Plains”, and “Solar Angels” on it, which already gives it more good material than Virtual XI. And Nostradamus is miles better than the Di’anno and Bayley Maiden albums, as well as Fear Of The Dark. It might even be better than Dance Of Death, but I’d have to think about that one some more.

And yes, Virtual XI is a bad album. All IMO, of course…

DoD has some good stuff but so does FOTD
I painted Green songs that aren't bad and Red songs I don't like
I must also add Paschendale is a bit overrated, it gets boring at some point
The songs on DOD that are great for me are "Wildest Dreams", "No More Lies", "Montségur", "Dance Of Death", "New Frontier", "Paschendale" and "Face In The Sand". The "meh" songs are the repetitive "Rainmaker", "Gates Of Tomorrow", "Age Of Innocence" and the boring "Journeyman".

On FOTD, the great tracks are "Be Quick Or Be Dead", "Afraid To Shoot Strangers", "Chains Of Misery", "Judas Be My Guide" and "Fear Of The Dark". The "meh" songs are "From Here To Eternity", "Fear Is The Key", "Childhood's End", "Wasting Love", "The Fugitive", "The Apparition", "Weekend Warrior".

Comparatively, DOD is far better than FOTD both on the creative and powerful sides.

Last edited:
Dance Of Death and The Book Of Souls are great albums. Iron Maiden has never released a very bad album in its entire career ... Every Maiden album has something unique to offer and every Maiden album is great by itself.
^ True that.
Point Of Entry has “Heading Out To The Highway”, “Desert Plains”, and “Solar Angels” on it, which already gives it more good material than Virtual XI. And Nostradamus is miles better than the Di’anno and Bayley Maiden albums, as well as Fear Of The Dark. It might even be better than Dance Of Death, but I’d have to think about that one some more.
''The Clansman'' and ''Futureal'' alone are better than the whole Point Of Entry album. As for Nostradamus, I think it's a great album, but not with 23 songs. If it was 8-10 songs, I'd say that it's on par with Dance Of Death and Fear Of The Dark (only because both albums have a few not so good songs), while the debut album of Maiden is legendary.

The X Factor and Nostradamus are special albums with a unique feel.
DoD has some good stuff but so does FOTD
I must also add Paschendale is a bit overrated, it gets boring at some point
Dance Of Death and Fear Of The Dark are probably the most underrated Maiden albums. I like both a lot.

I wonder how ''Paschendale'' can be a boring song...

For me Dance of Death has two songs in my IM top 15: Title track and Montsegur.

It also has two songs in my next tier (16-35): The Rainmaker and Paschendale.

Beyond that I at least enjoy almost every song particularly Wildest Dreams and Gates of Tomorrow (cool VH Little Guitars vibe on the latter).

Book of Souls has one song The Red and the Black in my top 15 IM songs but The Great Unknown is extremely close. Extremely close. Plus I enjoy Shadows of the Valley and If Eternity Should Fail very much despite my wife giving me very funny looks during the spoken Necropolis part.

Last edited:
I don’t like to compare albums
Fear of the Dark could have been a stronger album with less songs. Never liked the snare drums sound and the bass tone trough the whole album.
The great ones to me are:
Be quick or be dead
From Here to Eternity
Afraid to shoot strangers
Fear of the Dark
Goods:
Wasting Love
Childhoods End
The Fugitive
Weak not bad:
The rest

Dance of Death is another dark feel album but I enjoyed a lot with this album and watching live on tour.
The Great ones:
Wildest Dreams
Rainmaker
Montsegur
Dance of Death
Paschendale
Goods:
No More Lies
The Journeyman
Weak not bad:
The rest

The album cover is terrible but the inner art direction & photography are very cool.

I like The X Factor instrumental passages above all. I hate the choruses of some songs… fortunes of war, blood on the worlds hands. I like the album cover not the logo in stone. I love the art direction for the booklet and photography.
My favs are:
sign of the Cross
2AM
The Unbeliever
Goods:
Man on the Edge
The Aftermath
Look for the Truth
Lord of the Flies
Weaks:
The rest

Virtual XI it was a disappointing to me
I hate the short length of the album in comparison with the previous one. They showed here a certain kind of creativity. Hate the logo and the art direction for the booklet, the football thing…ufff
Goods:
The Clansman
Weaks: the rest of the album

It's not properly about Maiden, but as Maiden is playing Wacken next year...

It's probably about Maiden
And Megadeth, but also for Judas Priest and Nightwish and Accept... These bands will release a new album this year (Megadeth) and next year (Judas Priest, Nightwish, Accept)... And as these bands are some metalheads favorites, then it's normal that the 80,000 tickets have been sold incredibly fast this time...

Wacken sells out every year. I have never understood the concept of buying an expensive festival ticket without knowing who will be playing, but each to their own.
Wacken is more honest than the Hellfest, because it's revealing some names before the sale. Hellfest, on the other hand, is never revealing names before the sale. So, with the Hellfest, you can be really disappointed to have spent money for nothing...

The album cover is terrible but the inner art direction & photography are very cool.
I like the album cover not the logo in stone. I love the art direction for the booklet and photography.
Hate the logo and the art direction for the booklet, the football thing...
Speaking of Maiden's booklets for all albums, I like most of them, but some could have more artworks in them.

Senjutsu - one of the band's best booklets, without a doubt. I really like the Japanese drawings within the lyrics. The only upgrade would have been the great artworks of Akirant, Wilkinson's Eddie in the forest and Belshazzar's feast tower/Stratego Eddie from the video. Or a giant drawing of a katana.

TBOS - top booklet. Again, great Mayan drawings within the lyrics. Only a big colorful picture of the Mayan calendar, a giant book (of souls) and Speed Of Light Eddie are missing.

TFF - I love the planets/space landscapes, Eddie's symbol & head and Grant's other Eddies. The picture of the band is awesome too. They also should have added the 3 ''comics style'' single covers in one page, because they're part of the whole ''feel'' around the album. Eddie with the guitar from the tour poster also would have been a great addition, because he is in full length.

AMOLAD - the pictures of the band are great, but we have only 1 Eddie (on the back cover). The single covers of Different World and The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg should have been added. These Colours Don't Run backdrop too. A closer look of Soldier Eddie was also mandatory, maybe of the skeleton soldiers too because they're a significant part of the album cover.

DOD - as you said, the pictures of the band are really cool (the whole band in the star/circle wow), but again we don't have a single Eddie. Wildest Dreams and Rainmaker Eddies (too bad we don't have a proper artwork for the latter) could have been added. A version of the album cover without the dancing figures too. I like that the booklet has a woman with a carnival mask.

BNW - the pictures of the band and the blue colour are pretty good, but we don't have a single Eddie! Where are Wicker Man Eddie, both artworks of Out Of The Silent Planet, a picture only of the futuristic city... we have only a nice picture of clouds.

VXI - this is the worst booklet of all! I like the logo and I wouldn't mind the football theme (although the orignal cover had a nice landscape). There are a lot of artworks from this era that could have been included like the Futureal artwork (made by Derek), the 3 different covers of The Angel And The Gambler, Clansman Eddie or the tour poster. Some drawings within the lyrics for every song would have been very cool too - a virtual world, cards and dice, a lightning, a sword, two colliding planets, a library, Eddie with glowing eyes and a land with flags.

TXF - I think the logo in stone fits quite well. The art direction & photography are really a continuation of the whole vibe of the album. Great decision. Man On The Edge Eddie, electic chair and a closer look of Eddie from the back cover are dark images (the pictures of the band too). I also would have added two giant flies to represent Lord Of The Flies and a giant cross, because Sign Of The Cross is the masterpiece of the album.

FOTD - the pictures of the band are thematic, but again I think the 1998 re-issue booklet is better simply because it has more artworks. Too bad we don't have From Here To Eternity and Wasting Love Eddies (we have the single cover for the latter), but at least Be Quick Or Be Dead Eddie is included (the album is not ''rich'' with Eddies, unfortunately). The bat Eddie and a live picture with the album cover as a backdrop (the only time the album cover was used as a backdrop) are cool details too. I like that the pictures of the band are more than one.

NPFTD - the 1998 re-issue booklet is better. The pictures of the band fit. This is one 'rich'' and great booklet. All of Derek's Eddies from this era are included (and 2 bonus) and we have cool live pictures too. Awesome job.

SSOASS - I like the simplistic approach of the original bookelt (the dark blue colour is a perfect fit) and I also like the 1998 re-issue edition. The SSOASS symbols are a great detail. The pictures of the band are good (and a lot) and I like that the 3 single covers and the rest of Derek's artworks (scribe Eddie, Moonchild art, Maiden England, Eddie's head bite the logo) are included in two pages.

SIT - the pictures of the band are really cool here (those cars from the future lol). The 2 singles and the tour poster artworks are also included, but I wished a big picture of Wasted Years Eddie was included in a separate page (btw, this artwork would be a great backdrop). Cyborg Eddie in his full glory and Derek's symbol are such a great inclusions.

Powerslave - everything is great here... pictures of the band and of the stage set, back cover, mummy Eddie, the eye of Horus, Aces High and 2 Minutes To Midnight singles (should have been bigger!). I personally would have added a giant picture of a pyramid and a drawing of a ship, because Rime Of The Ancient Mariner is the jewel of the album.

POM - the picture of the band in the table is legendary. Nice pictures of the band. But the tour posters should have been much bigger in a separate page (at least Trooper Eddie is). The giant Eddie head (the stage prop) is a welcomed detail, but the brain should have been a drawing.

TNOTB - the colours and the pictures are pretty good. Run To The Hills single cover should have been bigger (like The Number Of The Beast single cover). The inclusion of the walk-on Eddie is a great detail. I would have added some other cool little drawings like a trident, ''22'' sign, glowing eyes and a rope and cell.

Killers - the colours are kind of cool (Rod as Eddie too, haha). The pictures of the band are not bad. Purgatory Eddie in a seperate page and the inclusion of Maiden Japan Eddie are great decisions. The only things I would have added are a giant drawing of an axe and the apartments from the album cover in a separate pages.

IM - not one of my favorite booklets. The stage prop Eddie from the early years is a nice detail. I wished the Running Free single cover was in a separate page. A picture of the street alley from the album cover and a drawing of a lamp post are really missing.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My conclusion: All booklets should contain ALL ARTWORKS from the specific era.

Last edited:
Dance Of Death and The Book Of Souls are great albums. Iron Maiden has never released a very bad album in its entire career, contrary to some other bands as Judas Priest (which has done plenty of them, like 'Rocka Rolla', 'Hell Bent For Leather', 'Point Of Entry', 'Stained Class', 'Turbo', 'Demolition', 'Nostradamus', 'Redeemer Of Souls'), Motörhead, Kiss, Accept and so many others... Every Maiden album has something unique to offer and every Maiden album is great by itself.

Wow that's a lot of Priest albums you don't like haha. Stained Class is my favourite of theirs!

Back