Iron Maiden News, Links, and Interviews

If that is their idea of a release to mark the 40th anniversary of their most important album, one that changed rock and metal music forever, it is frankly disappointing.
There have been umpteen CDs and vinyls printed for TNOTB, plus videos and shit. The album has gotten its dues already, and Maiden, as much as it would be cool, have never been the band to go back into the vaults and give us rough mixes and unreleased tracks. Knowing the nature of their releases, a cassette is a pleasant surprise. We all already own the album in other formats.

There have been umpteen CDs and vinyls printed for TNOTB, plus videos and shit. The album has gotten its dues already, and Maiden, as much as it would be cool, have never been the band to go back into the vaults and give us rough mixes and unreleased tracks. Knowing the nature of their releases, a cassette is a pleasant surprise. We all already own the album in other formats.

I beg to differ. I have always found Maiden’s approach to re-releases disappointing.

I recently bought the deluxe 20th anniversary edition of Everything Must Go by Manic Street Preachers (their equivalent to The Number of the Beast in terms of propelling them to the next level) and it is an exquisite boxset with 2 CDs (the album plus B-sides and other tracks from the era), 2 DVDs (a live show, a documentary, all the videos from the album), 1 LP (the original album) and a lavish booklet.

And that’s just one example. Better not to go into Metallica's approach to re-releases…

To clarify I’m not saying their approach is good per se, I’m saying that this is one of their better anniversary releases.

Do we need another release? This album has been released enough times, below is only my collection, there's way more out there. If you remove the different formats from that list, then there has been 8 separate releases, 9 with this new cassette.

I oppose rip off boxsets in general, unless the content makes it worthwhile, which it rarely does, but if Maiden are going to go down that road, any album other than this one would be my choice. You could add the classic albums dvds, beast over hammersmith, and the various single releases and re-releases and re-re-releases that I have and the list below could easily have 30 or 40 items associated with this album on it.

The Number of the BeastIrelandLPEMC 3400
The Number of the BeastUKLPEMC 3400
The Number of the BeastUKLPFA 3178Fame Version
The Number of the BeastUKLPEMCP 3400Picture Disc
The Number of the BeastUKLPLPCENT7EMI Centenary re-issue
The Number of the BeastUKCDCDP 7 46364 2
The Number of the BeastUKCDCD-FA 3178Fame Version
The Number of the BeastUKMCTC EMC 3400
The Number of the BeastUKMCTC FA 3178Fame Version
The Number of the BeastJapanLPEMS-91034Features bonus track Total Eclipse
The Number of the BeastUSLP88697 02391 1-112006 re-issue, originally planned to be released in 1998, only available from Hot Topic stores, Features bonus track Total Eclipse which isn't mentioned on the track listing
The Number of the BeastUKCD496 91801998 digitally remastered re-issue, features bonus track Total Eclipse
The Number of the Beast Picture Disc Collection 1980 -1988UKLP972 9501

The Number of the Beast The Complete Albums Collection 1980 - 1988EULP2564625240

The Number of the BeastEUCD01902955677362015 Remaster Digipack with Collectors Box Exclusive 1:24 Scale Figurine and The Number of the Beast Collectors Patch
The Number of the BeastEUCD01902955677432015 Remaster

We are making the point about them releasing a boxset with live DVDs, documentaries, lavish booklet, etc., but seeing how some people would end up buying the same music without any added value in different formats, they probably think there’s no need to make an effort. :D

I just thought of an obvious 10th release not mentioned because I don't have it, the 95 2 disc CD release

I went and pre-ordered the cassette anyway. For only £11.99 I figured, why not? I'll probably never play it as I don't have the means but it'll make a nice collector's item.

You could add the classic albums dvds, beast over hammersmith, and the various single releases and re-releases and re-re-releases that I have and the list below could easily have 30 or 40 items associated with this album on it.

It would be great if we got something not seen or heard previously.

I believe this has happened only once. Maiden has released

20 Century Box documentary
Live at Ruskin Arms
Live at the Rainbow
Beast over Hammersmith
Live in Dortmund
'ello Texas
Rock In Rio

In the span of a few years, it was the most productive "digging through the archives" period. History pt3 came with no material, and the whole shebang has ended since, 15 years of no releases of this kind.

Now consider that only one of those gigs is truly new material - Ruskin Arms video bootleg. Everything else was available to public before, albeit in a lower, not restored quality (but longer, full sets).

Maiden putting out historical, archival material is a weak affair. People may think it's all good with history DVDs and stuff, but there's seldom new info in the documentaries, and in 90% of the cases the material you are seeing was long available on bootlegs. It does cover casual Maiden fan well, but not hardcore ones.

My outlook is that I'm waiting for someone else to realize "ooh I got an Iron Maiden performance master tapes in my vault" and upload it. Not actual Maiden doing something out of their vault but someone else. Like Beat Club did with full performance they put on YT.

So in my head there's no question that Maiden are doing re-releases and other retrospective stuff very wrong.

I believe this has happened only once. Maiden has released

20 Century Box documentary
Live at Ruskin Arms
Live at the Rainbow
Beast over Hammersmith
Live in Dortmund
'ello Texas
Rock In Rio
When did they release 'ello Texas?

The re-release I would like to see back in stores is their best-of album 'Best Of The Beast', both in single and double CD versions. And also the 'Rock In Rio 2001' DVD.

Back